5 Painful Reasons Why Bo Needs to Step Down . . .

I read this entire thread this morning on my break. It was a really good read. Good to hear everyone's thoughts.

I am wondering what job opportunities would come Bo's way if he were let go. Would it be a head coach and where? Would it be a DC and where? Would he land a better job then NU?

How one answers that might determine if you want to keep him or move on.

I got off the "Bo Bandwagon" on Sunday. I am not proud of that or even happy about it.

I am sad at the state of Husker football.

You ain't alone, brother. I was off the Bo Bandwagon last season, but I don't equate being off the bandwagon with wanting the man fired. I thought with all the stars aligning this season (especially the schedule), we might finally turn the page. Instead we're looking at the meat of our schedule and we'll be lucky to split the remainder. That run defense is scary bad.

Losing isn't reason enough to fire a coach. Getting blown out isn't even enough to fire a coach if you see steady progress and you're in the hunt for the conference title. But take away that conference title? Take away any hope of a BCS bid? Start to make Minnesota look like Alabama? Play a hobbled quarterback who even on his best day is totally average at running and throwing the football? Hard to keep the fans with you. And with the staff we have, the sheer inexperience of it, not a lot to hope for, unless you are one of those unbendable, eternal optimists.

Apparently people forget what Urban Meyer told us when we asked him to be our head coach. He basically told us to f#*k off....and this was when he was at Utah looking to move up.

And he was smart enough to see that team had very little talent and whoever took the job was going to have to try to meet expetations with said lack of talent.

I'm not worried about the concept that coaches will be scared to coach here if 9 wins gets you fired. I want a guy who will look at that setup and says, "Bring it on." Pete Carroll was USC's 4th choice. Before his hiring, everyone thought he totally sucked as a coach. After he was hired, everybody in Southern California derided USC's AD for making such a stupid hire. Maybe we need to forget about prima donnas, young sure-fire coaches, and anything else that everybody seems to love, and simply hire an old coach who knows his way around a clip board and a field.
Greg Schiano Schiano, as the head coach of Rutgers University, where he served 11 years, transforming the Scarlet Knights from an unknown into a consistently competitive, winning and respected program. Prior to heading up the Rutgers program, Schiano served two seasons (1999-00) as defensive coordinator with the Miami Hurricanes. Schiano served three seasons in the NFL as a defensive assistant (1996-97) and later defensive backfield coach for the Chicago Bears (1998) and also spent six seasons under the late Joe Paterno at Penn State as a graduate assistant (1990) and defensive backfield coach (1991-95). Schiano -is a 1988 graduate of Bucknell University, where he was a three-year letterman at linebacker.

H to the E to the DOUBLE LL NO!

You can only be stabbed so many times for so long before you completely bleed out and we've been getting stabbed year in year out for 12 years. The last thing this program needs is an apathetic fan base that has completely forgotten their roots. We are losing everything that made our program special, better act now before it is too late. You know Minnesota used to have quite the winning tradition too until things went down hill and they never got off the mat. Don't assume the same can't happen to us.

The same can happen to NU --- if our next HC hire is as well a bad hire (like the last three hires have been)... NU will sink further. If it is a good hire, NU turns around slowly. If it is a great hire... NU turns around quickly and climbs back to respectability. The next hire is very, very important.

Apparently people forget what Urban Meyer told us when we asked him to be our head coach. He basically told us to f#*k off....and this was when he was at Utah looking to move up.

And he was smart enough to see that team had very little talent and whoever took the job was going to have to try to meet expetations with said lack of talent.

I thought the big reason he didn't take the job was, he was told he couldn't bring his whole staff and had to keep Turner G on his staff, and didn't he also say that if his dream job became open, that he wanted to be let go to accept it. It was ND or OSU. That's what I remember. I don't think money was the problem. GBR!!!

^

In response to streeterCL's post.

Or Alabama. What's there to do in Alabama or more specifically what's there to do in Tuscaloosa Alabama that's enticing to all of those top ranked recruits? Not much. It's more centrally located so it's not even near the coast. My point is with the right person and with Nebraska's history of success on the field and history of putting guys in the NFL you can get better recruits here. We have the facilities, the fan base, the history. If we can get the right kind of coach here I believe anyway we can turn things around. Of course that is the million dollar question. Can we get lucky and get the right guy to not only get us those recruits but get us back to being somewhat relevant again.

I do like the idea of Chris Petersen.

Some of you guys never get it. Nebraska never has been and never will be an easy place to recruit to. It is not about whether Lincoln and Tuscaloosa have similar nightlife atmospheres it is about proximity to recruits. Alabama has more 4 star recruits within 75 miles of its school than Nebraska has within 500 miles. Add to that a great coach and you have a winner.

Alabama has always had great athletes even when they weren't good, just like USC/UCLA/Georgia/Texas/Florida/Oklahoma/OSU/Michigan you name it. That is due to they are close to the recruits. I don't understand why some people don't see that.

Nebraska is a hard sell, once and if they really start winning they will get more of the top end recruits, but they are not just coming because we are Nebraska.

Two candidates that would be GREAT head coaches (i.e., if they wanted to get back into coaching):

1. Tony Dungy

2. Herm Edwards.

Tony Dungy will never coach college football if he wanted to get back into coaching he would have every team in the NFL lining up to take a crack at him.

What has Herm Edwards ever done as an NFL head coach? I know he has been one twice and fired from both jobs other than that I don't see it. He is like a lot of the other guys in the NFL that have had multiple chances at HC and done nothing. The only difference it that he has an analyst gig now and everyone knows who he is.

It's apparent many of you are still extremely upset about yesterday.

The truly disturbing thing is that more and more fans are not extremely upset about losses like Minnesota.

I used to lose sleep after Nebraska losses. Now I shrug, say "that figures," and go work on my lawn. That sort of apathy from die hard Husker fans should have the administration shaking in their boots.

• Fire 1

^

Or Alabama. What's there to do in Alabama or more specifically what's there to do in Tuscaloosa Alabama that's enticing to all of those top ranked recruits? Not much. It's more centrally located so it's not even near the coast. My point is with the right person and with Nebraska's history of success on the field and history of putting guys in the NFL you can get better recruits here. We have the facilities, the fan base, the history. If we can get the right kind of coach here I believe anyway we can turn things around. Of course that is the million dollar question. Can we get lucky and get the right guy to not only get us those recruits but get us back to being somewhat relevant again.

Some of you guys never get it. Nebraska never has been and never will be an easy place to recruit to. It is not about whether Lincoln and Tuscaloosa have similar nightlife atmospheres it is about proximity to recruits. Alabama has more 4 star recruits within 75 miles of its school than Nebraska has within 500 miles. Add to that a great coach and you have a winner.

Alabama has always had great athletes even when they weren't good, just like USC/UCLA/Georgia/Texas/Florida/Oklahoma/OSU/Michigan you name it. That is due to they are close to the recruits. I don't understand why some people don't see that.

Nebraska is a hard sell, once and if they really start winning they will get more of the top end recruits, but they are not just coming because we are Nebraska.

Do you remember the Mike Shula era????? Mike Price? Dennis Franchione? Gene Stallings? Mike Dubose???!!!

Wrong......

^

Do you remember the Mike Shula era????? Mike Price? Dennis Franchione? Gene Stallings? Wrong......

Shula had to have gotten in the players. Saban went 6-6 in year one after taking over. 12-2 the next year. 14-0 and NC in year 3. That to me says Shula was a bad coach.