Taylor's press conference

Fuzzy

I know there was a few details that were on twitter that Taylor had said, but when i listened to the whole thing, There was much more.

1. Played through the injury despite the pain, until he could no longer bear the pain.

2. "I'm getting there, I'm close to 100%"

3. "I felt good running" and "I thought I threw the ball pretty well"

4. When asked why they weren't as successful throwing the ball against Minnesota compared to last year, he wouldn't answer the question. When asked if there was anything they did different, he wanted to skip the question.

5. "We just couldn't come together as a team"

6. Probably the most disturbing part of this "They came out and stopped us and not much we could do about it". That is a piss poor attitude.

7. "I felt good enough to play"

8. "I've come a long way in 5 weeks, a lot of folks said it would take 3 - 4 months to heal. I don't know, its just something you gotta be able to play through."

9. "Just know what is in the best interest of the team, and today I thought the best interest for the team was me and try to comeback during this 6 week stretch."

10. "Thought the offensive line played pretty well."

#8 is probably the most telling, when i will stress the wording he used "folks", he could have meant friends, could have meant trainers, he wasn't specific. But nevertheless, his injury was significant that folks who know precisely what the injury is thought it would take 3 - 4 months to heal. That's basically the entire season. I understand Taylor is a college kid with a lot heart, who really wants to play and be the best he can be. But there is a point where you have to realize, my injury is detrimental to the team's goal.

I know there was a few details that were on twitter that Taylor had said, but when i listened to the whole thing, There was much more.

1. Played through the injury despite the pain, until he could no longer bear the pain.

4. When asked why they weren't as successful throwing the ball against Minnesota compared to last year, he wouldn't answer the question. When asked if there was anything they did different, he wanted to skip the question.

6. Probably the most disturbing part of this "They came out and stopped us and not much we could do about it". That is a piss poor attitude.

8. "I've come a long way in 5 weeks, a lot of folks said it would take 3 - 4 months to heal. I don't know, its just something you gotta be able to play through."

9. "Just know what is in the best interest of the team, and today I thought the best interest for the team was me and try to comeback during this 6 week stretch."

#8 is probably the most telling, when i will stress the wording he used "folks", he could have meant friends, could have meant trainers, he wasn't specific. But nevertheless, his injury was significant that folks who know precisely what the injury is thought it would take 3 - 4 months to heal. That's basically the entire season. I understand Taylor is a college kid with a lot heart, who really wants to play and be the best he can be. But there is a point where you have to realize, my injury is detrimental to the team's goal.

I hope he doesn't get roasted for this comment in particular. Because this is exactly the sentiment that was going on here. Tommy wasn't going to be able to navigate us through the 6 week stretch. But I hope the coaching staff is more willing to do with Taylor and Tommy/RKIII what we were doing without Taylor. I think each QB brings a different skill set and would make it hard for defenses to game plan around.

I hope he doesn't get roasted for this comment in particular. Because this is exactly the sentiment that was going on here. Tommy wasn't going to be able to navigate us through the 6 week stretch. But I hope the coaching staff is more willing to do with Taylor and Tommy/RKIII what we were doing without Taylor. I think each QB brings a different skill set and would make it hard for defenses to game plan around.

How would you know? I'll take my chances except insert RKIII as well as TA.

How would you know? I'll take my chances except insert RKIII as well as TA.

I'm not saying that as if he wouldn't be able to navigate us through the 6 week stretch. I was saying that the sentiment here was that Taylor should not have played against Purdue to give him another week off to rest his injury so that he could be ready to lead us through the 6 week stretch.

No, athletes like that want to get out there and play regardless of their injury if it's at all possible. It's not his job to realize his injury might be detrimental to the team, it's the coaching staff's job to realize it.

I have to disagree with you there. Any athlete in any sport can withhold information about their injury to their coaches and training staff in order to stay on the field or get back on the field. It is up to the coaching staff however to evaluate their performance in practice and make the decision whether they look like they are ready to come back from their injury.

I found his unwillingness to answer the questions about the passing game to be the most troubling. He clearly didn't want to throw his teammates under the bus, but there were some pretty key plays that our WRs frequently make that they didn't make Saturday.

Regardless, it wasn't the passing game that let us down Saturday, it was the fact that we went away from the running game. Ameer was gashing that team nearly every carry, but he didn't even get 20 carries. That's crazy. You tell Taylor to run X play, and there's no checking out of it, unless it's to another run. No checking into a passing call, no matter how it looks, unless Beck gives the OK. If he still checks out of it, bench him. We lost that game, in part, because we did not continue to exploit what was working. That's Tim Beck's calling card, and it has to stop.

Regarding #5 - it's game seven of the season. They worked on team-building exercises all summer. They brought in some military guys to teach them teamwork, they made the various units sit together during team functions. If these guys don't have team unity at this point they're simply being selfish.

• Fire 1

I found his unwillingness to answer the questions about the passing game to be the most troubling. He clearly didn't want to throw his teammates under the bus, but there were some pretty key plays that our WRs frequently make that they didn't make Saturday.

Regardless, it wasn't the passing game that let us down Saturday, it was the fact that we went away from the running game. Ameer was gashing that team nearly every carry, but he didn't even get 20 carries. That's crazy. You tell Taylor to run X play, and there's no checking out of it, unless it's to another run. No checking into a passing call, no matter how it looks, unless Beck gives the OK. If he still checks out of it, bench him. We lost that game, in part, because we did not continue to exploit what was working. That's Tim Beck's calling card, and it has to stop.

Regarding #5 - it's game seven of the season. They worked on team-building exercises all summer. They brought in some military guys to teach them teamwork, they made the various units sit together during team functions. If these guys don't have team unity at this point they're simply being selfish.

Nebraska football doesn't seem to be a "team" sport any longer.....we are a mish mash of parts, unfamiliar with our assignments.

• Fire 1

Martinez is just weird. His attitudes, his demeanor, his interaction with the team and the press, he's just plain weird.

Now Barkenflecht has killed our season by typing "Run the Ball" a dozen times in his synopsis of the Big 10 Team Standings, so Beck and Pelini are honor bound live and die with a passing game to show the media who runs the team.

Our only hope is that Martinez has a relapse and Kellogg gets to do that throwing.

As for me, I'll check back in next year, this level of effort we are seeing from the Cornhuskers isn't worth three hours of my life during hunting season. Worse yet is the additional three hours I spend talking about how it isn't worth it.

• Fire 2

Didn't Abdullah get pretty banged up during the game? I haven't seen the game yet, but I remember Matty saying something about how bad Abdullah got dinged and would be surprised to see him return. He obviously did return, but this might be why he wasn't given the rock more?

Who thought when Bo was hired we'd have to get into shootouts especially with the likes of Minnesota to win games? I really never saw that coming. I just don't get the defense's inability to stop the run.