What Games Have Pelini and Our Coaches Won Us?

Ric Flair

So what team are you a fan of Takoda?

That's bullsh#t. You question someones fandom because they want the program to win more and perform better? You must be of the opinion that this is as good as it can be. Not ranked, squeaking by Wyoming, losing to Minnesota, getting blown out by UCLA and, so far, one great win beating Michigan in their house. That's it? That's all you want? Which team are you a fan of?

• Fire 1

Yet somehow, our lowly players who actually get on the field after the coaches have chosen their favorite as still able - despite being out-classed, out-conditioned and out-prepared - to overcome the terrible positions they've been put in and terrible plays that have been called to be one of only a few teams to win at least nine games each of the last five years and play in three of the past four conference championship games.

There are posters who minimize the 9+ wins per season under Pelini.....and my guess is he may be in a class by himself as far as a coach who did it while switching conferences. As you've said before Mavric, if it were easy the list of coaches who accomplished it would be a lot longer.

But my question is ~ Are some of the Husker faithful truly becoming satisfied with status quo?

No offense, but this is really a crap argument. What's your definition of satisfied? Who do you think is satisfied?

You want to do the same thing that got us here in the first place -- fire a winning coach. If you truly expected those things you listed above, you should be hoping like hell that Pelini figures it out because starting over will throw us back another 6 years.

I understand the tendency to think this way but you've got some problems with your cause and effect rationale. We didn't get here necessarily by firing a winning coach but rather how and the timing with which he was fired. And more influential to where we are now is the process Pedey used in selecting a new coach and the guy he finally settled on. Please keep in mind, a coach does not have to be as bad as Callahan or as despised to be fired. Also, not all new coaches will be that bad or as eager to destroy tradition.

I don't hate Bo and I would really like to see it work out for him here. I give him a ton of credit for undoing much of the damage inflicted by Pederson and Callahan. He has righted a bunch of wrongs and has things headed in the right direction. But nine wins against the teams we've got them against is nothing to write home about. We have serious issues when matched against equal or better teams. Running a clean program and reviving the walk on program are great things but getting out coached and out performed by lesser teams still isn't acceptable. The facts are that we get wins against most teams we should and for the most part we get losses and/or blowouts against teams Nebraska should be able to compete with. The Minnesota loss is not unacceptable because it was Minny, it is unacceptable because we could've and should've won it by making adjustments, calling a better offensive game, and by not sticking with a QB that was being totally ineffective. Anybody that is satisfied only beating the easy teams on our schedule and the rare surprise like the Michigan win this week, needs to raise their standards closer in line with the storied history of this program. The Callahan years are no benchmark to determine that better than that ia good enough. It isn't.

JJ; great post and now I am going to bed. Could not have said it better!

I think some people think that because we don't accept status quo and the underachieving results we have seen, that we hate Bo and that is truly the farthest thing from the truth. +1

That's bullsh#t. You question someones fandom because they want the program to win more and perform better? You must be of the opinion that this is as good as it can be. Not ranked, squeaking by Wyoming, losing to Minnesota, getting blown out by UCLA and, so far, one great win beating Michigan in their house. That's it? That's all you want? Which team are you a fan of?

JJ; thanks for the defense, not to worry, everyone is entitled. My seats in the stadium are always full and I hoot and holler with the best of them +1 for the save!

Yeah, it's so impressive it shows in our ranking. Where are we ranked now? Where are the teams we've beaten ranked? You're right- we might just be one of the best teams, outside the top 25. Sorry but if wanting more than that is unreasonable, I'm going to remain unreasonable. I hope to hell this team wins out and I am forced to eat crow for being critical but, unfortunately, I don't see it happening. I'm tired of constantly looking forward to the next year. At some point in time it has to be expected this year.

The problem was that Bo exceeded expectations too quickly. Nobody expected him to win 9 games that first year, but he did. Nobody expected him to be a second short of a conference title in 09, but he was. Had he went from 7 wins the first year to 9 wins the second year to winning 10 his final year in I don't think anyone would be angry now because progress would have been apparent. The issue we are having currently is taking one of the final steps and winning a conference title which isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. The thing that has people impatient is that Bo wasn't suppose to be a contender for the conference in 2009. But since we skipped a lot of steps in between being garbage and being a conference contender, people are impatient.

JJ; thanks for the defense, not to worry, everyone is entitled. My seats in the stadium are always full and I hoot and holler with the best of them +1 for the save!

Sorry it just pisses me off when people go there. We all want the best for this program. We just have differing opinions of what that is and how to get there. But I'm done with accepting mediocrity. People throw up nine wins and one of only I five programs stats like it should be a discussion ending statement. What ends the discussion is walking off that field with no regrets and your best game lying on that field. God do I want to see that again.

Sorry it just pisses me off when people go there. We all want the best for this program. We just have differing opinions of what that is and how to get there. But I'm done with accepting mediocrity. People throw up nine wins and one of only I five programs stats like it should be a discussion ending statement. What ends the discussion is walking off that field with no regrets and your best game lying on that field. God do I want to see that again.

Wouldn't being one of only five programs to win 9 games the last 5 years be above mediocrity??

The problem was that Bo exceeded expectations too quickly. Nobody expected him to win 9 games that first year, but he did. Nobody expected him to be a second short of a conference title in 09, but he was. Had he went from 7 wins the first year to 9 wins the second year to winning 10 his final year in I don't think anyone would be angry now because progress would have been apparent. The issue we are having currently is taking one of the final steps and winning a conference title which isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. The thing that has people impatient is that Bo wasn't suppose to be a contender for the conference in 2009. But since we skipped a lot of steps in between being garbage and being a conference contender, people are impatient.

You are absolutely right EZE. I am getting very impatient. I have not been satisfied since prior to sitting in Folsom Field and watching the debacle in 2001. I recognize that Bo has accomplished much and much of it came quicker than it probably should have, considering where we were. You're right, we're at that last hump, and more difficult point but, it just drives me nuts when I see coaching decisions and actions that keep us from getting that leg over the hill.

You are absolutely right EZE. I am getting very impatient. I have not been satisfied since prior to sitting in Folsom Field and watching the debacle in 2001. I recognize that Bo has accomplished much and much of it came quicker than it probably should have, considering where we were. You're right, we're at that last hump, and more difficult point but, it just drives me nuts when I see coaching decisions and actions that keep us from getting that leg over the hill.

My qualms with some on this board, not referring to you at all is that they look at things in this program as if they are black and white. They aren't. There are so many factors that play into these past 5+ years some of which fall at our coach's feet. For example, the 2010 DL recruiting class. That's just one example. But there are others that simply can't be blamed on one person.

Funny thing is JJ; I know where they are coming from by defending Bo because I have been doing it from year 4. The Minnesota game for me was the final slap. After we lost that game a friend of mine who is a Big Bama $booster$ said that the news about Nebraska losing to Minn did not even cause a ripple in the CFB pool. People no longer think beating Nebraska is a big deal. That pissed me off and hurt down deep because that was something I never figured I would hear.

I hope we come out and Bo has our kids playing like their hair is on fire for 4 qtrs of beat your ass football. If we do that and come away with a win, great! If we do that and we compete like there is no tomorrow but lose, then so be it!

"Dear Lord,"

"In the battle we go through life, we ask for a chance that's fair."

"A chance to equal all your stripes, a chance to do or dare."

"If we shall win, let it be by the code, with our faith and honor held high,"

"If we shall lose, let us stand by the road and cheer the winners as they go by."

"Day by day,"

"Getting better and better."

"A team that can't be beat, Won't be beat!"

My qualms with some on this board, not referring to you at all is that they look at things in this program as if they are black and white. They aren't. There are so many factors that play into these past 5+ years some of which fall at our coach's feet. For example, the 2010 DL recruiting class. That's just one example. But there are others that simply can't be blamed on one person.

EZ-E, I do not think most people see this as a black and white issue or believe there is a black and white solution. There is so more here than just wins and losses!

By the way; Borrowed this link from Rolling Rock post under Tressel thread. Just listened to it and wow, game-point-match!

http://soundcloud.com/1620-the-zone/hondo-carpenter-on-game-time

Wouldn't being one of only five programs to win 9 games the last 5 years be above mediocrity??

It certainly would be above mediocrity as far as that stat is concerned. But, the problem is you have to look at how that stat was acquired and what goes along with it. Where have we ended up ranked at the end of those 5 seasons? Has it translated to any sort of national relevance or respect? How have we lost the games we have? Where are our "hang your hat on" victories? How many embarrassing blowouts have we suffered?

I realize I'm by nature a bit negative and typically I will recognize the bad before the good but, we are severely lacking in big wins against quality opponents. What we are not lacking in is subpar performances against lesser teams and embarrassing blowouts against what should be our peers. I don't give much credit for padding the resume with wins over the likes of S. Miss, SD St, Purdue, and squeeking by Wyomingesque foes. To be honest, the Michigan game this last week is one of the few in recent memory that I was actually proud of. Because we were more evenly matched and wining in the Big House is not something I expect. That was a great win and I give the players and coaches credit for that. In fact, I hate to even be engaged in this discussion this week because of that. I just see serious flaws that make me think that was more an aberration than an indication of things to come. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. And unfortunately, with the injury problems we currently have, it probably isn't fair to expect a win in any game we have left, especially one against the MSU defense this week. Minnesota was just a back breaker for me. It is absolutely ridiculus that we lost that very winnable game. I just can't and won't accept it anymore.

Just look at the summary of our games vs ranked opponents in post #38 and our losses by more than 14 points. I firmly believe we've acquired that 9 wins per year for the last 5 years in a much less than admirable way. If we were anywhere near .500 against teams in the top 25 I would feel much differently. It feels to me like bragging about beating my 8 year old neighbor in games of horse 90% of the time but when I play someone who has actually played basketball before I drop off to about 30%. But yeah, I won 9 games of horse per year for the last 5 years, just never made it past ho with anyone over 3'-9" tall.

I actually hate using W-L in this discussion at all. I absolutely can take losing if we give it our best effort. I'm not upset because we lost to Minnesota. I'm upset that we didn't do anything to help us have a chance to win that game. I'm a firm believer in "it's how you play (coach) the game". That is why winning against a team like Southern Miss doesn't mean much to me. That is why beating Michigan by 4 in the Big House is a huge victory for me. Heck, losing to UCLA was not really all that disappointing to me, the margin made it worse but that was at least a decent team. I was also pretty satisfied with our bowl game last year with Georgia. We played with them for 3 quarters (much better than our typical 1.5-2.5 quarters of actually playing football). Give me one complete game this Saturday and I'll STFU, even if we lose.

EZ-E, I do not think most people see this as a black and white issue or believe there is a black and white solution. There is so more here than just wins and losses!

By the way; Borrowed this link from Rolling Rock post under Tressel thread. Just listened to it and wow, game-point-match!

http://soundcloud.co...er-on-game-time

So a Michigan State media personality would like to see a former Ohio State coach at Nebraska? Good for media ratings I guess.