What Games Have Pelini and Our Coaches Won Us?

Ric Flair

I am not saying Bo sucks! I am not saying the name of Bo should be stricken from every book and tablet, stricken from all pylons and obelisks, stricken from every monument of Nebraska. Let the name of Bo be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of men for all time.

I truly hope Bo can reestablish confidence in everyone and has found whatever revelations he needed so they can get back into national relevance.

But my question is ~ Are some of the Husker faithful truly becoming satisfied with status quo?

Expectations:

Long ago 1970s, 80s, 90's we were in the Top 10 on a regular basis and was in one of the bigger bowl games that had national implications one way or the other.

Then; we were OK to accept that we were not being ranked in the top 15 and dropping a key game here and there but felt we were building for the future.

Then; we were OK to be in the top 20 hoping to be competitive, losing several games a year but moving forward and getting better.

Then; we were in the top 25 winning the games we should but being beaten like a drum by teams that we once thumped and being embarrassed in our CCG.

Now (Today) not ranked and hopeful that we beat a Top 15 ball club that looks more like we used to then we do on “D”

What more supportive evidence do we need to show that the process has not worked out so far?

For those of you who are so pro Bo that logic is not reality and your mind will not accept what your eyes see as fact, I am sorry but I do understand as I too have believed in Bo and still have a glimmer of hope for him. I was a strong supporter of Bo up until the Minnesota game but that did it for me. Bo was outcoached by a coordinator of a team with much less talent, an H/C that was sidelined and a program with inferior CFB history (1970s through today).

We have lost our national relevance guys as bad as that sounds, it’s true, and it is also part of the reason that when we beat a team like Michigan; the perception is because they are in disarray rather than us being good!

This week, we have MSU and I will be one of the loudest fans in the stadium wishing and hoping Bo and his staff calls a great game and the team responds with its best effort of the year. I have not lost my (want to) and I have not lost my (husker card) and for those very reasons, I will not apologize for wanting our team to get back to National relevance whether it is by Bo’s direction or another coach who has the capacity to bring it back! My Fear is, past performance is generally best predictor of future behavior and I truly hope that I am wrong about this and Bo goes on to have a 20 year HC job here in Nebraska winning a few NCG’s and a bunch of CCG’s.

Let me also add, I am not one of those guys who Boooo's our team or coach no matter what the performance is, that is not something I feel is proper in any circumstance.

Edited by TAKODA

None of that rabble had anything to do with:

Sorry to say this but in my opinion I do not see where our staff has won games for us this year or over Bo's tenure, but I can point out many games they have lost for us!

or:

What Games Have Pelini and Our Coaches Won Us?

OK Q, you got me! I guess I got off track a bit with some rabble but it is factual rabble! Ha!

The coaches have won what their record shows and they have lost the ones that there record shows! Goes hand in hand I guess!

Maybe the questions should be ~

What games have we won that we were not suppose to win?

What was the magnitude of how we lost? (This to me is more important than the win loss record Coach Bo has in his tenure)!

I currently wear a rubber band around my wrist and give myself a little snap when I come across a thread that I know will just make me dumber. The pain is to deter me from opening them. Couldn't help myself on this one! I am now dumber and my wrist hurts.

Because it's "dumb" to post a thread on a Husker discussion board asking how much value our coaches add to the program.

My advice is that you take your little rubber band and troll elsewhere.

Thanks BBB, man that was great work +1 for the detailed information.

I then read down the post and find post #44 by JJ and say say that these are telling!

Copied from that post (see beow);

Our record 2008 thru 2012 (all 5 years) versus-

Top 10 teams 0-8

Top 15 teams 1-10

Top 20 teams 5-13

Top 25 teams 7-15

Our record 2011 & 2012 (last 2 yrs only) versus-

Top 10 teams 0-3

Top 15 teams 0-5

Top 20 teams 2-5

Top 25 teams 4-6

Losses by more than 14 points-

3 to teams in the top 10

5 to teams in the top 15

7 to teams in the top 20

9 to teams in the top 25

Conversely, we have only beaten one top 25 team by more than 14 points (2011 Mich St #18 by 21 points).

Sorry, but we are not in a good place and do not appear to be getting any closer to one.

+1 to you too JJHusker for additional data above! Gave it to you on that post!

• Fire 1

But my question is ~ Are some of the Husker faithful truly becoming satisfied with status quo?

No offense, but this is really a crap argument. What's your definition of satisfied? Who do you think is satisfied?

You want to do the same thing that got us here in the first place -- fire a winning coach. If you truly expected those things you listed above, you should be hoping like hell that Pelini figures it out because starting over will throw us back another 6 years.

"Won Us?" ... really? Who thinks this is about "us" (the fans)?

Maybe you've heard this: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory"

As long as Bo keeps the walk-ons, runs a clean program, wins more than 8 games (most of the time), and (most importantly) has the team playing hard ... I'm happy to see him continue his tenure and improve as a coach.

• Fire 1

With our pitiful offense in 2009, the way that the staff played field position and set it up so that every drive the other team had to go the length of the field, I'd say you could credit the staff that year with a lot. Never really made a huge head scratching decision that lost us a game.

No offense, but this is really a crap argument. What's your definition of satisfied? Who do you think is satisfied?

You want to do the same thing that got us here in the first place -- fire a winning coach. If you truly expected those things you listed above, you should be hoping like hell that Pelini figures it out because starting over will throw us back another 6 years.

I understand the tendency to think this way but you've got some problems with your cause and effect rationale. We didn't get here necessarily by firing a winning coach but rather how and the timing with which he was fired. And more influential to where we are now is the process Pedey used in selecting a new coach and the guy he finally settled on. Please keep in mind, a coach does not have to be as bad as Callahan or as despised to be fired. Also, not all new coaches will be that bad or as eager to destroy tradition.

I don't hate Bo and I would really like to see it work out for him here. I give him a ton of credit for undoing much of the damage inflicted by Pederson and Callahan. He has righted a bunch of wrongs and has things headed in the right direction. But nine wins against the teams we've got them against is nothing to write home about. We have serious issues when matched against equal or better teams. Running a clean program and reviving the walk on program are great things but getting out coached and out performed by lesser teams still isn't acceptable. The facts are that we get wins against most teams we should and for the most part we get losses and/or blowouts against teams Nebraska should be able to compete with. The Minnesota loss is not unacceptable because it was Minny, it is unacceptable because we could've and should've won it by making adjustments, calling a better offensive game, and by not sticking with a QB that was being totally ineffective. Anybody that is satisfied only beating the easy teams on our schedule and the rare surprise like the Michigan win this week, needs to raise their standards closer in line with the storied history of this program. The Callahan years are no benchmark to determine that better than that ia good enough. It isn't.

• Fire 2

"Won Us?" ... really? Who thinks this is about "us" (the fans)?

Maybe you've heard this: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory"

As long as Bo keeps the walk-ons, runs a clean program, wins more than 8 games (most of the time), and (most importantly) has the team playing hard ... I'm happy to see him continue his tenure and improve as a coach.

I have read it since 1970 every time I go to my seats!

I expect more than the given requirements of running a clean program, keeping tradition alive with the walk-ons and playing hard. These things should always be there for any athlete that steps foot in UNL sports. If not, we are not recruiting the right kids, which falls back to coaches!