Kill the (C)rap music before the game..

If the players are really really practicing to this stuff...we are definitely recruiting the wrong types of people...It seems to show up in our lack of rhythm

Not sure if serious, but if you want to have a serious musical discussion, rap is actually one of the most rhythmically sophisticated genres of Western music...

What's really sad, is there's probably some people out there that actually think that...and that remedial math uses really hard equations..and finger painting is the toughest form of expression to master...But seriously..You got any examples? I didn't think they even sampled anything very sophisticated...

To be fair...I recently saw one of those drummers that regularly play one of the late night Jimmy shows (Kimmel or Fallon) who I guess I'd only seen play hip hop before..But he was actually showing some promise playing something with Elvis Costello IIRC

Cinco Minutos Con Vos

If the players are really really practicing to this stuff...we are definitely recruiting the wrong types of people...It seems to show up in our lack of rhythm

Not sure if serious, but if you want to have a serious musical discussion, rap is actually one of the most rhythmically sophisticated genres of Western music...

What's really sad, is there's probably some people out there that actually think that...and that remedial math uses really hard equations..and finger painting is the toughest form of expression to master...But seriously..You got any examples? I didn't think they even sampled anything very sophisticated...

To be fair...I recently saw one of those drummers that regularly play one of the late night Jimmy shows (Kimmel or Fallon) who I guess I'd only seen play hip hop before..But he was actually showing some promise playing something with Elvis Costello IIRC

You are so right H37 and as for, "if you want to have a serious musical discussion, rap is actually one of the most rhythmically sophisticated genres of Western music..." this has to be a lame attempt at humor. The people at the Stadium who are running the sound system need to be more aware of their audience. T_O_B

• Fire 1

You are so right H37 and as for, "if you want to have a serious musical discussion, rap is actually one of the most rhythmically sophisticated genres of Western music..." this has to be a lame attempt at humor. The people at the Stadium who are running the sound system need to be more aware of their audience. T_O_B

Yeah...But Maybe they're right...Maybe their audience SHOULD be the players and the stupid kids (I say in my best Homer voice)..I mean SURE..It would be nice to get some of us bluehairs up and yelling, but I've never been much of a rah rah kinda guy..I was always in too much of a zone when I played and pretending to scheme for the next series of downs as a fan..Sometimes I'd hear myself breath, or the pads mash against each other on each step I took..But it would usually have to come up in discussions way AFTER the game when a team mate would goof on me because he could hear my Dad in the stands yelling at the refs or something from the field...

Probably the only thing that could get me up and hollering would be a wardrobe malfunction on one of our purty cheerleaders...

And Hercules...I really mean it about giving us an example...I'm in a more better frame of mind tonight and actually WANT to like some of this c(rap)...

I really like the song I heard on the movie "Chasing Mavericks" by the Butthole Surfers "Pepper"..I even bought a couple of CDs on ebay just to make sure I could find it..It's a little rappy...Enough so that my Son doesn't like it near as much as I do..and I'm almost positive I lost a few coolness points for it.

Maybe play this before every NU offensive series?

Unbelievable!..

I actually thought of this song today as I was trying to recall some rap song that had some rhythm not easily done by a toddler..Normally, I consider the ChiliPeppers more of a Funk band., but they Did blend genre well.

I guess I disregarded it right away mainly because I thought this was already in Heavy rotation at Memorial.

I still don't understand why radio stations of all genre are so proud when they "never repeat a song" during the day...There's so much partly fair music out there..Why repeat in any given month?

I'd go with something a little more toe tappin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7SamPkmeg

That IS a nice little ditty...But What are you trying to do? Free up some season tickets by killing off the older 18% in attendance?...I'm not even Near ready to lose Dr. Tom just yet.,,And I'm not sure how much head trauma Ron Brown can withstand from having to knock him out prior to playing this...

Maybe just once

• Fire 1

:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpoundv :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

We could give the bluehairs a preview of what's in store for them....

Farken Icehole!!!

Post a song you'd KNOW I'd get hooked on and it's OOP (Out of Print).

There's ONE CD with it on ebay and it's like $40...

Good luck finding it on 8-track anywhere.

But really..thanks for turning me on to it.

So did the OP get banned?

It's funny how people notice things like this and complain. I have been to countless sporting events and I have never given much thought to what music they are playing.

Except Sweet Caroline. f#*k that song and Neil Diamond for making it. If I hear THAT song in a stadium again, I will punch the first old person or baby I find.

So did the OP get banned?

It's funny how people notice things like this and complain. I have been to countless sporting events and I have never given much thought to what music they are playing.

Except Sweet Caroline. f#*k that song and Neil Diamond for making it. If I hear THAT song in a stadium again, I will punch the first old person or baby I find.

_1360848847.gif

What's really sad, is there's probably some people out there that actually think that...and that remedial math uses really hard equations..and finger painting is the toughest form of expression to master...But seriously..You got any examples? I didn't think they even sampled anything very sophisticated... To be fair...I recently saw one of those drummers that regularly play one of the late night Jimmy shows (Kimmel or Fallon) who I guess I'd only seen play hip hop before..But he was actually showing some promise playing something with Elvis Costello IIRC
And Hercules...I really mean it about giving us an example…

Ok. You guys want to talk music? I don't know sh#t about football compared to music. Prepare for my thesis:

Here are your examples. I took the tune you seemed to like by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which, given its release date, isn't that bad rhythmically (lyrically, on the other hand…). We'll compare that to "Underground," the last track from Relapse by Eminem.

There are many different ways to create rhythmic complexity or sophistication - in these two pieces, we'll look at polymeter, syncopation, hemiola, and motivic development.

post-8517-0-31292000-1385096291.png

These are the first four measures of the first verse. The vocal rhythm is ridiculously repetitive - almost the exact same rhythm every bar, and there's always an accent on beat 4. It's not remotely syncopated (it always emphasizes the beat), and it stays that way pretty much the whole song. It hardly ever changes, and when it does, it still emphasizes beat 4.

Really, the vocals are comically bad, but it was in 1991, before "Illmatic" was released and changed the way everyone rapped. All rappers sounded pretty square back then. The drums are also repetitive and pretty dull - this song was saved by the bass and guitar player. That's where all the syncopation is, and that's what makes it groove. The guitar is really the only voice in the entire band that actually varies a little bit from measure to measure.

Now, check out Eminem's Underground. The excerpt I wrote out happens towards the end of the last verse.

post-8517-0-51206200-1385097495.png

This song starts with the chorus, but it's in a 5/8 time signature. When the verse starts, the bass/bass drum continue in 5/8, while the hi-hat cymbal, guitar, and Eminem are in 4/4 time. The snare drum is the only voice that connects those two time signatures - they always line up at the snare drum on beats 2 and 4. This use of polymeter, all by itself, makes this song one of the most sophisticated songs you'll find in commercial music.

On top of that, the hi-hat rhythm and guitar rhythm, which just repeat each bar, are both syncopated figures (as opposed to emphasizing the beat, they emphasize the "a" of beat 2, and the "and" of beat 3.

Then there's Eminem. Here's a rapper that has perfected the use multi-syllabic rhyme schemes and internal rhyme sequences to create incredibly complex rhythms in his music. Just one example of this comes in the phrase transcribed above. Eminem takes "sanity," a three-syllable sound, and rhymes it with "can it be," "vanity," (hu-)"manity," "fantasy," and "amputee."

Unlike the Red Hot Chili Peppers, he's not just rhyming everything on beat four. He strings them together to create a hemiola (3 against 2. 16th notes come in two's, so grouping them in three's like Eminem does here is dope). Doing something like this would add a lot of rhythmic sophistication to a song in any genre, but Eminem's doing it in a song that's already written in two different meters.

And as if that weren't enough, he takes that 3-syllable rhythm motif and develops it at the end. Notice that "arm and leg" and "amputee," which are both grouped in 3's, are actually slightly different rhythms than earlier 3-syllable phrases, like "fantasy," and "can it be."

This is just two measures of Eminem's vocals. While the Red Hot Chili Peppers vocals are almost exactly the same every bar, Eminem changes where he accents, and instead of always ending at the end of the bar or at the end of two bars, sometimes his phrases spill over into the next bar, which creates even more layers.

That is sophisticated.