Daughter is a senior in college and her second Toshiba (in three years) went out. I'm looking for recommendation for laptops to finish college and start grad school. I am tech-illiterate and really don't follow all the new technology that is available. It would be nice to get a computer that will be relevant and low maintenance for three or more years. Maybe that is asking too much. Price is always a consideration but I will spend a little to get something that will last.

Is a chromebook, a laptop? I ask because they have those netbook things, and I don't want one of those. I've had 2 Toshibas and she's had 2 Toshibas in the last few years. It could be that we're computer idiots why were so hard on them. My current Toshiba has lost its sound(internally) crashed two times and had multiple other little things.

KRC, you may find this article helpful from Gizmodo:

http://gizmodo.com/the-laptops-worth-buying-this-holiday-season-1457597408

I don't know what your price range is, though.

Also, keep in mind your daughter should get an education discount through Apple, and while pricey, those laptops are the best out there. Plus, she can dual-boot (using Boot Camp) into Windows on the same machine to maintain software compatibility and flexibility when necessary.

Also, do you have a CostCo membership? They've had some good sales on their laptops in their runup to Black Friday...

http://gizmodo.com/t...ason-1457597408

Also, keep in mind your daughter should get an education discount through Apple, and while pricey, those laptops are the best out there. Plus, she can dual-boot (using Boot Camp) into Windows on the same machine to maintain software compatibility and flexibility when necessary.

Also, do you have a CostCo membership? They've had some good sales on their laptops in their runup to Black Friday...

Thanks, I think I'll get her the macbook II

I love my MacBook Pro. Macs are overpriced, but the quality of the product is really unparalleled in most cases. And to me, that's what you're paying - a working product that won't fail you. I've had this laptop for a year and I've never once experienced virus issues, crashes, some function not working, or part of the laptop falling off. I really couldn't be happier with the choice, and this is coming from a PC guy through and through. It's completely worth the $1,300 or so I spent on it.

There's a possibility she could even get a Mac for around $1,000, depending on student discounts. IIRC, UNL - for example - has a Mac discount for students.

http://gizmodo.com/t...ason-1457597408

Thanks, I think I'll get her the macbook II

Cool. Hope it helped.

And a word to the wise...if you can afford it, spring for the AppleCare. It's a lifesaver.

And a word to the wise...if you can afford it, spring for the AppleCare. It's a lifesaver.

Personally disagree about Apple Care - if you have the money sure, but I haven't found it worth it. It's good for the piece of mind though.

Count me as a Macbook fan as well. I don't even particularly like Apple, mostly because of their business practices, but you can't touch the products they put out. Bought a $2800 MBP Retina a few weeks ago.

Personally disagree about Apple Care - if you have the money sure, but I haven't found it worth it. It's good for the piece of mind though.

Count me as a Macbook fan as well. I don't even particularly like Apple, mostly because of their business practices, but you can't touch the products they put out. Bought a $2800 MBP Retina a few weeks ago.

I was thinking that his daughter is away at college and he probably can't go to her every time there's a hiccup or issue on the laptop--unless they've changed it, AppleCare comes with Tech Support for the life of the warranty too (IIRC).

Otherwise, yes, you're right about it not being worth it for us..but unless his daughter is a tech geek, she would likely get more use out of it.