Next Year's QB: Who Will it Be?

Tommie Armstrong looks like he has a higher ceiling than TMart did. Sure, he's not as flat out fast, but in between the random 90 yard TD runs, we all saw how useless flatout speed alone is on a football field. Tommie hits holes better, uses blocks better and has better instinct at the point of attack as a freshman than TMart ever did.

And Stanton pushing him should make them both better.

TOMMY, has never shown to be even close to the runner that Taylor was.

Tommy won't get constantly stuffed in the open field like Taylor was; conversely, he won't take it to the house like Taylor did.

It depends on the offense, I guess. If you want your QB to be explosive and hit game changing plays, Taylor is the better "runner".

If you want a fluid offense that stays on schedule, I think Tommy is the better runner in that situation.

Taylor is a better straight line runner - Tommy is a better football runner, IMO.

And I really hope we get a new S&C program. Tommy has lost so much speed since being here, it is crazy.

As compared to what? His HS football film? If so, that's not surprising. Please back your criticism up with objective numbers. Is his 40 yard dash decreased so much that it's "crazy?" Please back your criticism up with legitimate information, that is separate from your subjective opinion.

The level of competition since HS has been raised. Division 1 ball is a different level of athlete. TA might actually be faster than he was in HS, the issue is the speed on the D1 defenses he is currently facing.

Yes, comparing a four year starter versus a six game starter give you so many objective things to compare. How is there evidence on Tommy to give more than just an opinion? You realize he had his knee scoped and had a bum ankle almost the whole time he was out there. Objective numbers? Yes, 6 games in, his numbers are going to be comparable to a four year starter. What exactly are you expecting? We can't just make numbers up at this point. The guy is a freshman that has played six games. If someone thinks he will be great, then they have the right to that opinion. There's nothing objective about it because there is no sufficient evidence. The guy said " he thinks" and IMO in his post. Read for fux sake.

Tommie Armstrong looks like he has a higher ceiling than TMart did. Sure, he's not as flat out fast, but in between the random 90 yard TD runs, we all saw how useless flatout speed alone is on a football field. Tommie hits holes better, uses blocks better and has better instinct at the point of attack as a freshman than TMart ever did.

Agreed. Tommy showed next to nothing running outside of an occasional fake pitch.

Agreed. Tommy showed next to nothing running outside of an occasional fake pitch.

You all seem to forget about his knee surgery, wait until next year when he feels good on it and we'll see how well he can run.

I thought Tommy would be the next thing but he's constantly making bad decisions when throwing the ball. Should be interesting come the Spring Game

This. If Tommy wants to be a successful college QB, he needs to learn how to read coverages because he struggled doing that big time. He's got a great arm, so he needs to put in the mental work to make it more effective.

I am staying with Tommy Armstrong. Man, Huskeran92, you want to keep throwing that stat out there that T-Magic is just the end-all, be-all QB at Nebraska for his blazing 4.31 forty. But I'll take Auburn's QB Nick Marshall over your man Taylor Martinez any day of the week. Nick Marshall is not as fast as T-Magic. He only runs 4.4/4.5 forty, but he blasted off a 45 yard TD run against Alabama today. You don't need blinding speed to be successful. You just need enough.

Tommy Armstrong's knee was cleaned out before the start of the season. He's been timed at a combine at 4.53 in the 40 yard dash. He'll have the winter and spring to completely heal his knee. Now stop with this junk that Tommy can't run fast. As soon as his knee heals, he'll regain his full speed. 4.53 40 yard dash speed is enough to break off those 45 and 50 yard runs. Sure it's not a T-Magic 91 yard sprint against UCLA, but TA is a breakaway guy when healthy. I don't know what you guys need or want for Nebraska at the QB spot...? I'm perplexed there.

And also, it appears very evident to me that -- given today's high injury rate that we are all seeing all over the country -- it seems that both Tommy Armstrong and Johnny Stanton are going to need each other period. So why are we trying to divide the camp between Stanton supporters and Armstrong supporters when in the end ... they'll probably need each other badly through a 12-game regular season plus one if we reach the conference title? This discussion is crazy. Let's be concerned with both Armstrong and Stanton being successful versus selecting one to beat out the other.

• Fire 2
I am staying with Tommy Armstrong. Man, Huskeran92, you want to keep throwing that stat out there that T-Magic is just the end-all, be-all QB at Nebraska for his blazing 4.31 forty. But I'll take Auburn's QB Nick Marshall over your man Taylor Martinez any day of the week. Nick Marshall is not as fast as T-Magic. He only runs 4.4/4.5 forty, but he blasted off a 45 yard TD run against Alabama today. You don't need blinding speed to be successful. You just need enough.

Tommy Armstrong's knee was cleaned out before the start of the season. He's been timed at a combine at 4.53 in the 40 yard dash. He'll have the winter and spring to completely heal his knee. Now stop with this junk that Tommy can't run fast. As soon as his knee heals, he'll regain his full speed. 4.53 40 yard dash speed is enough to break off those 45 and 50 yard runs. Sure it's not a T-Magic 91 yard sprint against UCLA, but TA is a breakaway guy when healthy. I don't know what you guys need or want for Nebraska at the QB spot...? I'm perplexed there.

And also, it appears very evident to me that -- given today's high injury rate that we are all seeing all over the country -- it seems that both Tommy Armstrong and Johnny Stanton are going to need each other period. So why are we trying to divide the camp between Stanton supporters and Armstrong supporters when in the end ... they'll probably need each other badly through a 12-game regular season plus one if we reach the conference title? This discussion is crazy. Let's be concerned with both Armstrong and Stanton being successful versus selecting one to beat out the other.

Damn dude, you owned it. Plus 1.

I wouldn't consider Taylor Martinez my man, never said that. If you look at my one of the posts I even said I wasn't the biggest fan of Taylor. I was simply replying to Power-I's statement when he said Tommy is a better runner than Taylor ever was. Which I disagreed with. Doesn't mean I don't like Tommy, I am actually a very big fan of him.