Next Year's QB: Who Will it Be?

I think both Armstrong and Stanton will be fine QBs. It's a good problem to have.

Ideally, I'd like to see us go to a more power-run oriented offense to take the pressure off these guys. Our bread and butter should be power runs with Abdullah/Cross/Newby/Taylor. Mix in the jet sweep that seems to give everyone so much trouble (most especially us). Passing wise play-action passes should be our bread and butter, with screens (middle, bubble, slip) and crossing routes prominently in the mix.

If Beck were smart, he would really dumb down the offense and run say 12 base plays to perfection.

I think both Armstrong and Stanton will be fine QBs. It's a good problem to have.

Ideally, I'd like to see us go to a more power-run oriented offense to take the pressure off these guys. Our bread and butter should be power runs with Abdullah/Cross/Newby/Taylor. Mix in the jet sweep that seems to give everyone so much trouble (most especially us). Passing wise play-action passes should be our bread and butter, with screens (middle, bubble, slip) and crossing routes prominently in the mix.

If Beck were smart, he would really dumb down the offense and run say 12 base plays to perfection.

I expect to hear the name Cethan Carter all day every day.

You and me, we agree. But I'm out of plus 1 today.

I believe I said this earlier, but it's going to be whoever has the better grasp of the offense. Armstrong isn't super accurate at this point, but his biggest problem is reading the defense and making throws in conjuncture with what the wideouts are seeing. That's not really a big deal for a freshman, but he has to put tons of work in in the film room, because he has the ability. I really don't like Stanton's arm, and I'm curious to see how his running style will translate to this level (Top end-Tebow, Low end-Cody Green). If you put a gun to my head I'd say Armstrong at the start, but with JS hot on his heels. It's really a great situation for us. As they say, iron sharpens iron, and the intense competition between the two will improve them both.

Your philosophy agrees with what someone else said, and that guy was pretty good at what he did:

"I fear not the man who practices 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" --Bruce Lee

If by curling up when facing a defender you are talking about the moments that he faces too much pressure and gets sacked for a huge gain then I agree with you. However how I see your statement is that when he's past the line of scrimmage, and is one on one with a defender then Taylor curls up like a wuss and falls before him. Now if that's not what you meant, then we had a misunderstanding, but if it is then I still don't believe you've ever watched Taylor play.

Are you kidding me dude? The fact that you called me out for not watching football is hilarious at this point. Watch any game outside of 2010 up to the Missouri game. That is all he does when met with a defender in space. He is good on occasion at seeing the field and making moves before any defender gets around him (as in the big run against Wisco B1G game last year), but once that defender is within 2 yards, he is crumpling up like a dying flower to avoid a hit. Now maybe that is how he is coached, to avoid injury, but there is no contesting that that is what he does.

He was coached to do that because we didn't have anyone else in '11 or '12. This year we haven't seen him run without broken toes.

Wendell Wooten or me. I think we both have one year of eligibility left. heh heh.

I'm like a few others who have posted. Who ever it is, I'll be excited to see them play.

One thing I didn't realize till just a few years ago, is how important making it to a bowl game is. It isn't really all that important in terms of the game itself (Unless it is the MNC game). It is the extra month of practice the team gets. With Spring ball so short, getting that month to work on things you saw during the year is priceless. I'm hoping that the D makes even more strides during the next month, that TA can hit the film room and get in sync with his receivers, that RKIII can find some discounted Pizza Roll multi packs and we can get healthy over all....also allowing some of the younger O-lineman valuable snaps in practice. Repetition, Repetition, Repetition.

Can really see a T Frazier / B Berringer killer duo with TA and JS next year. Don't have any idea which one will start, but it all looks good.

And it is things like this that make me a huge Husker fan...watching players come, compete and develop. And to become solid young men. Winning a lot of games just makes it that much sweeter.

Johnny Stanton. Calling it now.

^^^^^^That^^^^

Wanna bet?

Sure.... Shots at Cliffs South (formerly Libations Too?)

You're on. So if Tommy Armstrong is the starting QB first game of the season, you owe me some drinks?

Sure... and if Stanton starts, also drinks... To clarify, we are NOT talking spring-ball.. ;)

I love all the talk about Stanton. He might very well be a good one or he might not. He's never taken a snap. Early in the year everyone was on the Armstrong bandwagon, he has a couple of rough games and so many are ready to send him to the bench.

Give Tommy another offseason to work, gain more knowledge of the offense, get better on working through his progressions, and be completely healthy. He still has a huge upside.

I hope Stanton is as good as everyone here is already projecting him to be because I think Tommy is going to continue to improve and having two extremely talented and capable QB's would be a huge bonus.