BIG Under Rated?

The argument is that Auburn, should they beat Mizzou handily, has played a far tougher schedule, Ohio State has not played a top 15 team in nearly 3 years according to Pacman. Not sure how he figures that but he states it nearly every day.

Like I said, my vote is for Ohio State, but nothing would surprise me.

The argument is that Auburn, should they beat Mizzou handily, has played a far tougher schedule, Ohio State has not played a top 15 team in nearly 3 years according to Pacman. Not sure how he figures that but he states it nearly every day.

Like I said, my vote is for Ohio State, but nothing would surprise me.

He is close, but not completely accurate. Here is 2011, the last time they faced a team who was ranked top 15 and/or were top 15 at week 13.

2011: Unranked at the end of the season- 3 Top 15 teams at time of playing, 2 were top 15 at week 13

NR Mich St- Lost (Finished #17)

#14 Nebraska- Lost (Finished #20)

#16 Illinois (Joke and close)- Won of course (Finshed NR)

#15 Wisconsin- Won- (Finished #10)

#21 Penn St- Lost (Finished #22)

#15 Michigan- Lost (Finsihed #13)

2012: Sanctions- 12/0 season

Played no top 15 team, none finished top 15 either.

2013: MSU will be the first top 10 team they faced, and not another B1G team until Wisconsin at #21.

If SoS really mattered more than anything, FSU would be ranked lower than OSU

I don't know about that. FSU has pretty much destroyed every team they have played this year. OSU hasn't done the same. If OSU does win the Big Ten Conference they should no doubt play for the Title.

That's Margin of Victory, not SoS. And if that mattered more, then Auburn has no chance of passing Ohio State because they've had worse margin of victory. That includes against teams without a winning record.

• Fire 1

I mean the Big gets their butt handed to them in bowl games against other conferences especially the Sec, get beat regularly by MAC schools, and for Gods sake Ohio State is a game away from being undefeated in two years and they are already talking about a one loss Sec team Auburn or Missouri jumping them in polls even if they beat Michigan state.

You watch too much ESPN.

1. B1G was 19-19 vs the SEC in BCS era thru 2011; probably 21-24 now with last couple years losses (remember the bad match ups with PSU, and OSU being ineligible). Thru 2011 b12 was 8-21 and ACC was 9-16 vs the big bad SEC. These are stats ESPN doesn't bring up.

2. Get beat regularly by MAC schools? I know No Ill beat Iowa a couple times. What other MAC losses have occurred?

3. ESPN constantly pushes for teams to jump OSU (first Baylor, now auburn). ESPN even had a long article how Auburn and Alabama may have a rematch. It is not going to happen unless OSU loses to MSU.

No I don't watch ESPN anymore then you or anyone else but I watch a lot of College Football, and yeah I know all about the Big 10 vs Sec 19-19 tie in wins and loss but have actually seen how that breaks down? take a look at it. Also on a national stage Ohio State got beat both by LSU and Florida, the Florida game got ugly. and I am sorry getting beat in the National Championship game twice by the SEC sticks in peoples minds more so then the 19-19 tie in wins and loses, don't get me wrong I don't care for the SEC at all. Also how many BIG teams have been in the top ten in the last couple of years? this year we have a couple, recent years not so much. when is the last time the BIG has won a National Championship? Ohio State has a chance this year but we shall see. But its ok we are a stones throw away from bowl season and mark my words the Big will have another poor showing. But as long as we can win our bowl game where ever it may be I will be happy

I mean the Big gets their butt handed to them in bowl games against other conferences especially the Sec, get beat regularly by MAC schools, and for Gods sake Ohio State is a game away from being undefeated in two years and they are already talking about a one loss Sec team Auburn or Missouri jumping them in polls even if they beat Michigan state.

You watch too much ESPN.

1. B1G was 19-19 vs the SEC in BCS era thru 2011; probably 21-24 now with last couple years losses (remember the bad match ups with PSU, and OSU being ineligible). Thru 2011 b12 was 8-21 and ACC was 9-16 vs the big bad SEC. These are stats ESPN doesn't bring up.

2. Get beat regularly by MAC schools? I know No Ill beat Iowa a couple times. What other MAC losses have occurred?

3. ESPN constantly pushes for teams to jump OSU (first Baylor, now auburn). ESPN even had a long article how Auburn and Alabama may have a rematch. It is not going to happen unless OSU loses to MSU.

No I don't watch ESPN anymore then you or anyone else but I watch a lot of College Football, and yeah I know all about the Big 10 vs Sec 19-19 tie in wins and loss but have actually seen how that breaks down? take a look at it. Also on a national stage Ohio State got beat both by LSU and Florida, the Florida game got ugly. and I am sorry getting beat in the National Championship game twice by the SEC sticks in peoples minds more so then the 19-19 tie in wins and loses, don't get me wrong I don't care for the SEC at all. Also how many BIG teams have been in the top ten in the last couple of years? this year we have a couple, recent years not so much. when is the last time the BIG has won a National Championship? Ohio State has a chance this year but we shall see. But its ok we are a stones throw away from bowl season and mark my words the Big will have another poor showing. But as long as we can win our bowl game where ever it may be I will be happy

But that speaks about Florida and LSU.

The SEC lost every other game against the Big 10 in 2006 and most of the others in 2007

Focusing on a few teams or a few games gets us nowhere. The only way to objectively compare conferences is to look at every single non-conference game and weigh them equally within a coherent,consistent rating system. There are not very many non-conference games (expecially BCS AQ vs. BCS AQ), so the data is limited. But that's the best we have. See the bottom of this page. There is a compilation of many of the most respected systems that rate conferences. This year, the SEC is slightly ahead of the Pac-12 (36.5 vs. 38.1) for first place. The Big 10 is almost unanimously #3 (45.8), a significant distance behind #2 and a decent distance ahead of fourth place Big 12 (49.6). ACC is a close #5 and the AAC of course a very distant #6.

So, is the Big 10 underrated? Depends on who is rating it and where they are ranking it. If someone says fourth or lower, then yes, that would be underrated.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah you are correct and I have also seen that break down of being 19-19 against the Sec but I also know the only thing people notice or pay attention to is the Big 10 getting beat in the National Championship twice on the big stage. Your Buck eyes lost to Florida and LSU and the Florida loss was kind of loppsided if I recall. Thats what most of the nation knows about the Big 10 in Big games, I don't like it, don't think its fair but I am sorry that is the perception, and wait until the 2013 bowls start and the Big 10 teams get taken back behind the woodshed. I am currious how well the Big 10 Champion does in what the Rose bowl this year? If Michigan State loses there game and espewrongcially if it is a ass whipin the Big 10 will still be considred a joke, wish i was wrong but I doubt that will be the case

Yeah you are correct and I have also seen that break down of being 19-19 against the Sec but I also know the only thing people notice or pay attention to is the Big 10 getting beat in the National Championship twice on the big stage. Your Buck eyes lost to Florida and LSU and the Florida loss was kind of loppsided if I recall. Thats what most of the nation knows about the Big 10 in Big games, I don't like it, don't think its fair but I am sorry that is the perception, and wait until the 2013 bowls start and the Big 10 teams get taken back behind the woodshed. I am currious how well the Big 10 Champion does in what the Rose bowl this year? If Michigan State loses there game and espewrongcially if it is a ass whipin the Big 10 will still be considred a joke, wish i was wrong but I doubt that will be the case

That's the thing that really makes no sense. The Big 10 is down because of two NC games? The first one against Florida, the SEC went 1-4 against the Big 10 that year. The second one, against LSU, well OSU was in a rebuilding year, and apparently no one else wanted to play in the NC game (8 top 10 teams lost in the last two weeks pushing OSU to #2) Followed by a last second field goal loss to Texas, a demolishing of Oregon, and the first SEC loss to Ohio State in a bowl game.

But the only reason people base the entire conference on Ohio State, is because the fanbase of OSU is so large, media will choose to cover them more so than any other team in the conference. MSU wins the conference this year, and for the most part, the talking heads are still talking about OSU and Clemson.