BIG Under Rated?

Remember our days of the Big 8 and Big 12? We spent most of those years making fun of the Big10 because they were overrated. How many years did much higher ranked Big 10 team go the Rose Bowl and get hammered by supposedly much worse Pac 12 team?

If we had been in the Big10 in the 90's we may not have lost a conference game in the entire decade. Unfortunately now, us joining just added another mediocre team to a medicre conference.

Big Ten went 7-3 in the Rose Bowl game in the 90's.

losses were by Iowa, Northwestern and scUM lost to National Champ UDub.

Nebraska obviously was great in the 90's but if you don't think the Big Ten had some special players and teams back then then you are crazy.

It's always been a good division, Sometimes it was the tops, now it's maybe third, ACC definitely is weaker top bottom, then again PAC12 is not that special and BIG 12 is just outright bad.

Then there is the SEC hilarity, Missouri near the top, Georgia loosing to Vandy, SC loosing to Tennessee and crappy Georgia(yet still ranked 10).

However come bowl game time. Big will win depending on how many games are in the home states of our opponents, we tend to set the record in being shafted, last year 4/7 games were in the actual home state of the team played, 2 in their conference back yard and 1 in ours. So statistically given the teams playing are on par were screwed. SEC will play mostly at home, then BIG 12 followed by PAC teams and finally the wintry Northerners. So 3-7 to 4-7, I will swing to 4-7 record due to other conferences being mostly on par.

I don't think so at all. I think the big is a joke this year. I don't even think OSU is very good and will most likely get absolutely pounded by Florida state. I feel, when I watch other conferences, that they are all playing in a different league than the big ten right now. They are faster, hit harder, more intense, more physical, just overall better to watch. Not just the sec, but the PAC 12, big 12, and even the acc. The big ten needs to step its game up soon, or it will have nothing to rest on but it's " tradition".

I don't think we're underrated. I don't think Ohio State is a Top 5 team. Meyer is a great coach and they'll likely end up playing for a national title, but I don't think that team is a great one. And the next tier of Big Ten schools all have major issues. We don't compare favorably in terms of talent to teams from the SEC, PAC 12, etc. So I think we're rated pretty fairly all things considered.

ohio is not a top 5 team and will get exposed in their bowl game. The 2nd most pathetic Michigan team in recent memory took them to the brink of defeat.

Remember our days of the Big 8 and Big 12? We spent most of those years making fun of the Big10 because they were overrated. How many years did much higher ranked Big 10 team go the Rose Bowl and get hammered by supposedly much worse Pac 12 team?

If we had been in the Big10 in the 90's we may not have lost a conference game in the entire decade. Unfortunately now, us joining just added another mediocre team to a medicre conference.

Nebraska obviously was great in the 90's but if you don't think the Big Ten had some special players and teams back then then you are crazy.

Yea, hell, Woodson still plays like mad and that little know QB Tom Brady is doing ok. Big was rather deadly in the 90's.

Yea, hell, Woodson still plays like mad and that little know QB Tom Brady is doing ok. Big was rather deadly in the 90's.

I readily admit to being wrong on the Rose Bowl records of the 90's, I blew that one. But I absolutely never said there weren't any good teams or players from the conference in that era. I don't think anyone would have predicted Brady's NFL success based on his college career.

I tried to understand why other B1G teams wouldn't get behind OSU to win the NCG *if* they beat MSU. The conference really needs a boost.

Then I started thinking about how willing I'd want Texass to win it if NU was still in the Big 12.

Hard to say a whole lot after putting it in that perspective.

They are faster, hit harder, more intense, more physical,

I take it you are excluding the Big 12 from the discussion, given the highlighted observations...because that one team with the Longhorn logo played a slow, white, Mormon quarterback with a gimpy leg, and he ran roughshod over that team, and those Longhorns have only one conference loss...

The Big 10 doesn't give and take style points, they just beat Hell out of each other. Not as eyecatching, but effective. Think Miami vs. Penn State in 1987: Which team looked faster and more intense, until they started seeing shadows and hearing footsteps?

I feel, when I watch other conferences, that they are all playing in a different league than the big ten right now. They are faster, hit harder, more intense, more physical, just overall better to watch. Not just the sec, but the PAC 12, big 12, and even the acc. The big ten needs to step its game up soon, or it will have nothing to rest on but it's " tradition".

This is one of the worst observations I've seen in a long time. The brand of Big Ten football is physicality. The SEC is easily the most physical conference top to bottom, but the B1G isn't far away. The B1G just doesn't have the amount of athletes that the SEC has on almost every roster.

But all that really proves is the Pac 10 was worse.

I feel, when I watch other conferences, that they are all playing in a different league than the big ten right now. They are faster, hit harder, more intense, more physical, just overall better to watch. Not just the sec, but the PAC 12, big 12, and even the acc. The big ten needs to step its game up soon, or it will have nothing to rest on but it's " tradition".

This is one of the worst observations I've seen in a long time. The brand of Big Ten football is physicality. The SEC is easily the most physical conference top to bottom, but the B1G isn't far away. The B1G just doesn't have the amount of athletes that the SEC has on almost every roster.

Really? Step back from past perceptions for a moment and look at the reality of today. The only place I see physicality in the big would be Msu on defense, and Wisconsin on offense. Where else do you see a conference that out physicals anyone? Indiana? Illinois? Northwestern? Purdue? Maybe Iowa, but come on they are Iowa. There is nothing physical about Michigan, OSU is basically read option finesse. I know you are not thinking Nebraska is physical. So exactly where is this brand of physicality you speak of? In the past this might have been true. Today, we are just witnessing a lower level of football, period, across the board.

Really? Step back from past perceptions for a moment and look at the reality of today. The only place I see physicality in the big would be Msu on defense, and Wisconsin on offense. Where else do you see a conference that out physicals anyone? Indiana? Illinois? Northwestern? Purdue? Maybe Iowa, but come on they are Iowa. There is nothing physical about Michigan, OSU is basically read option finesse. I know you are not thinking Nebraska is physical. So exactly where is this brand of physicality you speak of? In the past this might have been true. Today, we are just witnessing a lower level of football, period, across the board.

If that is true, please get on the phone and tell Carlos Hyde and the OSU offensive line to stop running people over.

• Fire 1

The B1G's image will hinge on OSU this season. Assuming they make the MNC...they'll carry the torch. We could win every other game and if (and IMO when) OSU gets blown out by Florida St...it won't even matter.

You are correct, I don't think OSU will get blown out by FSU though. I think they can win that game. I don't like Urban Meyer, but give him 5 weeks to get ready for a game and I think they will be ready. If OSU could win the NC and then have MSU win the Rose Bowl, which I think is totally possible playing either Stanford or ASU and the conference looks a heck of a lot better. The bowl games are all about match ups.

Yes the B1G is down the last 4-5 years and the B1G has been beat up by the press for it . Yet, thru 2011 the B1G was 19-19 vs the SEC in bowl games in the BCS era. B12 was 8-21 vs SEC; ACC 9-16.

The two Ohio State NCG losses and some other BCS blow outs by USC killed the perception. Nobody knows OSU BCS record is 7-3 though - that is never talked about on ESPN. The B1G has had terrible bowl parings too the last few years with PSU, OSU ineligible and a couple years having a second team get a BCS birth, have had a trickle down effect on the other parings. B1G has had UR teams facing SEC teams in the top 15. My guess it will be another ugly bowl season.

• Fire 1