Move Iowa to season opener

Redux

I hereby start a suggestion to the schedule makers. Move Iowa from Black Friday to opening weekend. Nebraska usually schedules a patsy like FAU, WKU or Chattanooga. We need a statement win out of the gate. What better way to do that tben with a conference win. That would leave a non conference patsy open to schedule later in the year. Plus we could move Wisconsin to Black Friday like we had talked about before.

Another benefit is that it was pointed out to me the reason we lost to Iowa is because the Big Ten is a physical league and we werent phsically able to properly compete with the Hawkeyes. Well if we played them in the opener or even the second week, we would still be healthy. Essentially this translates to us never losing to Iowa again!

Couple years ago FSU and Miami played on Labor Day. Great game that everyone starved for football watched. Colorado plays CSU early in the year and thats a rivalry. Id rather see us get a break towarss the end than the early creampuffs and late gauntlet. Get Idaho State before Black Friday as a warmup and be ready for a Wiscy. I remember last year a push was made to move them to season finale.

I think 1995 Redux has a good point. I would love to see a season opener against a bigger name. It doesn't need to be Iowa or any other B1G team but I think it would be cool to have a big game early.

Nobody plays their best ball the first game of the season.

Not sure why that is relevant. If you want to know why the SEC is always ranked at the end of the year, look no further than them playing conference games early and FCS teams late when everyone is beating each other up.

• Fire 1

I think 1995 Redux has a good point. I would love to see a season opener against a bigger name. It doesn't need to be Iowa or any other B1G team but I think it would be cool to have a big game early.

Not sure why that is relevant. If you want to know why the SEC is always ranked at the end of the year, look no further than them playing conference games early and FCS teams late when everyone is beating each other up.

When you play non-con teams during the season has no bearing on whether a team is ranked at the end of the year. It's W-L record that matters. Win your games, and you'll be ranked.

Exactly. Bama played Georgia State or Southern before the Iron Bowl. Makes sense. We may loatbe the SEC but they have it right. Get a statement win early and get a patsy late to seal a win before a big game.

Couple years ago FSU and Miami played on Labor Day. Great game that everyone starved for football watched. Colorado plays CSU early in the year and thats a rivalry. Id rather see us get a break towarss the end than the early creampuffs and late gauntlet. Get Idaho State before Black Friday as a warmup and be ready for a Wiscy. I remember last year a push was made to move them to season finale.

I get ya. I would like to see a better non conference schedule. Makes the season more enjoyable. Plus maybe the team would gel quicker since they have to. I could get on board with this I suppose.

You can never shut Iowa up Lol. Just my experience with guys I know, but it's a fun time.

Exactly!

Whenever I fail miserably at something (like Nebraska on Black Friday) the first thing that I want to do is blame everything else (read all of the threads as a reminder). I would not care when you play Iowa because it would still be a game. Nebraska of today is not even close to what they used to be. If you would have played Ohio State on black Friday they would have hung 70 on you and may very well have shut your anemic offense totally down (like holding you to less than 100 yards rushing was not enough). Besides, I bet that Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State would want to play a better team on Black Friday so that they could build their national reputation. Why in the world would they want to play a lessor team?

You can never shut Iowa up Lol. Just my experience with guys I know, but it's a fun time.

Exactly!

Whenever I fail miserably at something (like Nebraska on Black Friday) the first thing that I want to do is blame everything else (read all of the threads as a reminder). I would not care when you play Iowa because it would still be a game. Nebraska of today is not even close to what they used to be. If you would have played Ohio State on black Friday they would have hung 70 on you and may very well have shut your anemic offense totally down (like holding you to less than 100 yards rushing was not enough). Besides, I bet that Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State would want to play a better team on Black Friday so that they could build their national reputation. Why in the world would they want to play a lessor team?

I just meant we still trash talk each other (the Iowa fans I know and me). No matter the outcome we still jaw back and forth.

Exactly!

Now hes trying to push Ohio State on us. Its ok, we get it. You didnt know what a win over Nebraska would feel like. We get that youre feeling confused