Should airlines charge more for fat people?

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should airlines charge more for fat people? It seems fair. It takes more jet fuel, seating space, etc. to haul all that extra weight.

The average weights in the U.S. are 196 lb and 166 lbs (men/women LINK). Should airline passengers have to pay a premium for the extra pounds they carry? Say, 0.5% of the base ticket price for every pound over average? I'm about 15 lbs over, so I'd pay an extra $30 bucks on a $400 airline ticket.

What if some of the fat-surcharge went to partially compensate a skinny person sitting adjacent (if any)? Would it be fair then?

They have those boxes in the airport that your carry-on has to fit into to go on the plane, so let's use the same principle. Narrow the metal detector to a set width and if you touch the edges when you walk through (like in that game operation) it buzzes and they charge you extra.

They should also charge you more if you decide to bring your unruly children on the plane and have no interest in keeping them in line

But presumably the kids would be reimbursed for being a smaller size/weight, offsetting the unruly kid charge. :lol:

I can go both ways on my opinion, basically just because of my one experience. I was flying from Atlanta to Madrid, so it was a long flight. The airline was a 2-5-2 seat config, and I had a window seat. The guy next to me probably weighed at least 400 lbs, I'd say more. About an hour into the flight, I needed to use the toilet. The guy was reading and when I asked to get out, he said "No." I asked why not, and he said "I'm busy and I'm comfortable." Other than trying to climb over this monstrosity, there was no way I was getting out. I called the flight attendant over and told her what was going on. He still refused to move and got into an argument with her. After a couple of minutes, it got resolved, and I got to spend the rest of the flight in 1st class. So it wasn't all bad :)

They should also charge you more if you decide to bring your unruly children on the plane and have no interest in keeping them in line

But presumably the kids would be reimbursed for being a smaller size/weight, offsetting the unruly kid charge. :lol:

Kids on airplanes should be drugged, muzzled, and put into the cargo area