Top 5 recruits of Bo Pelini's classes

So as I have finals all week, I thought that I should rank the top 5 recruits that Bo Pelini has signed in his years at Nebraska. I based mine solely off of what they did in their years at Nebraska and not on the NFL. But hell, do whatever. I mean David could win DPOTY in the NFL this year! My top 5 are:

1) Lavonte David

2) Taylor Martinez

3) Alfonzo Dennard

4) Ameer Abdullah

5) Randy Gregory

Pretty much the same as SPH but I gotta bump someone for Spencer Long.

I would have probably left Gregory off and put Spencer Long on the list. I just believe that Gregory is going to be beyond great

Forgot about Spencer. I was hoping my boy Alex Henery was 2008 but he was 2007.

I know Scout sucks and all, but here are the rankings for those so far on the list

Ameer Abdullah RB #56 3 star

Rex Burkhead WR #63 3 star

Lavonte David OLB 3star

Randy Gregory DE 4star

Taylor Martinez QB #41 3 star

Alfonzo Dennard CB #80 3 star

Spencer Long walkon no stars

They either find diamonds in the rough or coach em up. One four star of the six.

Abdullah's class had two backs rated well above him (Green and Heard) and he chased them off the team. Makes you wonder about scout ratings in general sometimes. Also, I doubt they factor work ethic into the ratings and that is something we seem to be good at recruiting.

• Fire 3

blarson3, I disagree that Abdullah "chased Heard off the team". I don't want to take anything away from Ameer, dude's a badass. But Heard got d**ked around positions & IMO its inexcusable that he didn't get more carries in 2012. I remember him performing well the few times he did get the football. What particularly comes to mind is a crucial 3rd & short in the 2012 UCLA game, where Marrow was given the rock & got stuffed. Anyways, its really unfortunate he left the team & I hope he does well at Kentucky

• Fire 1

blarson3, I disagree that Abdullah "chased Heard off the team". I don't want to take anything away from Ameer, dude's a badass. But Heard got d**ked around positions & IMO its inexcusable that he didn't get more carries in 2012. I remember him performing well the few times he did get the football. What particularly comes to mind is a crucial 3rd & short in the 2012 UCLA game, where Marrow was given the rock & got stuffed. Anyways, its really unfortunate he left the team & I hope he does well at Kentucky

He was injured a good amount of that time.

point made. I agree with you. I think he had the best pure talent on the team and definitely deserved the ball more, especially when Rex was so banged up. I kind of stand by the "chased off the team" statement though because Abdullah playing the way he was was the reason Heard got pushed to CB originally, because they wanted to find another way to get him on the field. I agree that they should not have done that to the kid however. In hind site I guarantee the staff would handle the situation much differently.

Lets be reasonable here....

Do you think he would've left if his *injuries* were really the reason he wasn't playing?

What player goes "Gee, I have a serious hamstring issue. I should really be playing more though. HMM. I'm transferring." No one. Not a single player.

He got shafted from fall practice on. Still think he was probably the best pure runner of the 3, but he really struggled with pass pro as well as some other play calls.

Do you think he would've left if his *injuries* were really the reason he wasn't playing?

What player goes "Gee, I have a serious hamstring issue. I should really be playing more though. HMM. I'm transferring." No one. Not a single player.

He got shafted from fall practice on. Still think he was probably the best pure runner of the 3, but he really struggled with pass pro as well as some other play calls.

lets be reasonable here, you have the best profile picture of all

No, I don't think his injuries were the reason he left. But even if he wasn't injured, he wasn't playing as much because Ameer is better according to the coaches. Tough sh#t.

I think, like all things in life, it was a combination of several things and not just one entire thing.

Was he injured a decent amount of 2012 which affected his number of carries? Yes.

Should he have gotten more carries? Yes.

Do 18-22 year old kids always make justified decisions? No.

He left because he wasn't getting what he wanted. That's fine, go after it. But whether or not he was right in wanting whatever it was that he needed to leave for is not for any of us to decide.

Gomes and Bell deserve some consideration. Pretty tough list to crack though. There's also a good chance Valentine and Moss put themselves on that list over the next couple of years. Lot of young guys that we have no idea how good they can be yet.

Taylor, Rex, Lavonte and Ameer are the automatic choices for me. From there it's a toss up. Dennard, Long, Gregory, Bell, Gomes, Quincy, Etc.