Top 5 recruits of Bo Pelini's classes

The reason they wanted him to learn some slot this year in the spring, which prompted him transferring, was because they wanted to get him on the field. They saw what Ameer was doing this year and last, and knew they could count on him. Heard could have been a lightening rod for the offense, would have allowed us to redshirt Newby, and probably would have gotten more carries as the year went on when Abdullah was nursing a number of small injuries. But he wanted to be THE guy, and he couldn't find out how to be that guy here with Abdullah in front of him.

He got shafted from fall practice on. Still think he was probably the best pure runner of the 3, but he really struggled with pass pro as well as some other play calls.

So he may have been the best pure runner but really struggled in other areas. Perhaps he wasn't getting shafted as much as he just wasn't the best all-around back? :dunno

He got shafted. I didn't say he deserved Ameer's carries or even should've taken any from Ameer (although I think the staff has been more than lenient with players and their fumbles). I'm just saying he got shafted because the coaches lied to his face then Marrow sold him on a fresh, new start.

You shouldn't promise a player playing time if they move back to the spot you moved them from to begin with and then tell them "Oh, too bad." Especially when said player was hesitant to move back to RB to begin with. He did what was best for the team, was sold lies, and then got mad because promises were broken.

He didn't leave because he was beat out, he left because he didn't (couldn't?) trust this staff anymore and was unhappy with a staff that he didn't believe in. For those of you who think he was beat out and left - remember they were creating a new position for him, to keep him on the team. You don't do that for scrubs.

He got shafted from fall practice on. Still think he was probably the best pure runner of the 3, but he really struggled with pass pro as well as some other play calls.

So he may have been the best pure runner but really struggled in other areas. Perhaps he wasn't getting shafted as much as he just wasn't the best all-around back? :dunno

He got shafted. I didn't say he deserved Ameer's carries or even should've taken any from Ameer (although I think the staff has been more than lenient with players and their fumbles). I'm just saying he got shafted because the coaches lied to his face then Marrow sold him on a fresh, new start.

You shouldn't promise a player playing time if they move back to the spot you moved them from to begin with and then tell them "Oh, too bad." Especially when said player was hesitant to move back to RB to begin with. He did what was best for the team, was sold lies, and then got mad because promises were broken.

He didn't leave because he was beat out, he left because he didn't (couldn't?) trust this staff anymore and was unhappy with a staff that he didn't believe in. For those of you who think he was beat out and left - remember they were creating a new position for him, to keep him on the team. You don't do that for scrubs.

I agree Heard was not a scrub. But he was beat out because they had to create a new position for him on the team. If he wasn't beat out he wouldn't have been moved and maybe Ameer would have been. But definitely no scrub I agree, and the situation was handled horribly by the coaches. Maybe they could have redshirted Cross if there weren't enough carries for everyone, especially since Rex (assumed healthy at the time) is a more than capable goal line back.

I agree Heard was not a scrub. But he was beat out because they had to create a new position for him on the team. If he wasn't beat out he wouldn't have been moved and maybe Ameer would have been. But definitely no scrub I agree, and the situation was handled horribly by the coaches. Maybe they could have redshirted Cross if there weren't enough carries for everyone, especially since Rex (assumed healthy at the time) is a more than capable goal line back.

Do you think he would've gotten his own position if he didn't deserve it?

When Aaron Green left, he was never offered his own position to keep him here. He was good enough to see the field more than he did. The coaches even acknowledged it before he transferred.

Marrow "recruiting" him while still here was a pretty big factor as well.

Also, PM'd you Mavric with what I was told about the situation.

Finally, PM me if you want to continue this convo. Don't want to derail this thread any more.

Lavonte David

Randy Gregory

Spencer Long

Kenny Bell

Ameer Abdullah

On my list I'm giving extra credit for guys who played early at a position of need.

Martinez is a special situation. I don't think any other major school in the nation recognized his value at quarterback, and was willing to give him a shot. In that respect, he could easily be #1 on the list.

blarson3, I disagree that Abdullah "chased Heard off the team". I don't want to take anything away from Ameer, dude's a badass. But Heard got d**ked around positions & IMO its inexcusable that he didn't get more carries in 2012. I remember him performing well the few times he did get the football. What particularly comes to mind is a crucial 3rd & short in the 2012 UCLA game, where Marrow was given the rock & got stuffed. Anyways, its really unfortunate he left the team & I hope he does well at Kentucky

He was injured a good amount of that time.

Lets be reasonable here....

Do you think he would've left if his *injuries* were really the reason he wasn't playing?

What player goes "Gee, I have a serious hamstring issue. I should really be playing more though. HMM. I'm transferring." No one. Not a single player.

He was being "docked around" moving from position to position because the staff felt there were better players at RB ahead of him but they still wanted him on the field. From how it turned out, I'm fine with the coaching staff's opinion on that. Ameer turned out to be one hell of an RB. Now, if Heard was set on playing RB and he wanted to start, then he felt it was time for him to move on.