Can't tell for sure...but this picture has me wondering if I might be leaning a little to the Left.

That NPR info is interesting because it stands in contrast to the graphics I posted a few posts above that. I grabbed those from a few different sites and didn't cite the sites, which was probably not a great idea, and I'm not about to go back and redo the search. Forbes was one of them, the NY Times was another, and I can't remember where the third was from, the one with the two columns.

Does it tell us much to post electoral maps and maps shaded by income levels? We still don't know who is voting for whom and why.

The way I see it if a person possesses more than two of the attributes listed below they're more likely to vote for the given party:

Republicans

• White
  • Rich
  • Poor
  • Southern
  • Plains States
  • Fundamentalist Christian
  • Catholic
  • Cuban
  • Male
  • Old

Democrats

• Western
  • North Eastern
  • Great Lakes Region
  • Jewish
  • African American
  • Hispanic
  • Female
  • Young
  • Poor
  • Rich

So for example: An old, male, poor, pentecostal Oklahoman probably votes Republican. While a young African American female from New Jersey probably votes Democrat.

If an attribute isn't listed like "middle class" of a generic "protestant" that's because it's more or less a crapshot and of course it isn't perfect, there will be people who don't fit the mold.

There's some evidence to support the general trends and it's not all stereotyping. To the issue which you all are debating which I believe is the extent to which the GOP and conservatives rely on the poor I'd say they absolutely do rely on them, especially poor, white Chrisitians from the South and Midwest. I'm not sure how anyone could think that they don't.

Now as to whether or not the GOP supports/enacts policies that actually help those people...whether they're just taking them for a ride or not...that's a different question and one that is much more difficult to answer. I happen to think that the GOP does take many of these people for a ride and it annoys me that they often gain their votes by playing on religion, specifically Christianity, only to go on and support crony capitalism, probably the least Christian economic system around.

Here is a graph that if you look at the red lines, shows that as the income level goes down, the percent that votes Democrat goes up.

071013krugman1-blog480.png

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/income-raceand-voting/?_r=0

Here is another bunch of data that if you look at the income, people under $30,000 lean towards Dems. as it goes up, they lean more towards Republicans.

8-23-12-5.png

http://www.people-press.org/2012/08/23/a-closer-look-at-the-parties-in-2012/

How many more do you want me to find?

Here is an interesting study that talks directly to our discussion.

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/ssqfinal.pdf

As a result, richer states now tend to favor the Democratic candidate, yet in the nation as a whole richer people remain more likely than poorer people to vote Republican.

Much has been made of Barack Obama’s recent success among highly- educated voters, but as E. J. Dionne (2005) has observed, the Democrats’ strength among well-educated voters is strongest among those with house- hold incomes below $75,000—

Does it tell us much to post electoral maps and maps shaded by income levels?

The maps have pretty colors.

Yes they do but hey they're just maps.

Here's a fun one. Poland most recent electoral map:

Civic Platform, PO, (orange) is the moderate to moderately conservative pro-EU party while Law & Justice, PiS, (blue) is the moderately-conservative to far-right-wing euro-sceptic party.

poland-2007-parliamentary-elections.png

Best maps of Poland's income I could find:

map1_04_gdp_head_pps.jpgeu-gdp08-pps3.png

As far as religious and ethnic considerations we can mostly rule those out as Poland is pretty homogeneously Polish and Catholic.

So from comparing those two maps it seems pretty obvious right? Eastern Poland, excluding Warsaw, is voting for PiS because they're poorer.

But wait. Everyone say hi to the Kaiser!

german-empire-map-1914-1000.jpg

Maps. Combine!

polvotmap1.jpg

So yea. Maps can be decieving and junk.

• Fire 1

Not a lot of blue states on this list . . .

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

You are better than me if you know which of those counties are low income vs. high income.

What?

Excuse me...my bad....I should have said you are better than me if you know which of those counties voted for Dems and which voted for Repubs.

Oh! I see. I was looking at the states. Awful lot of red states on the list . . . but maybe you're right and the poorest counties in the US vote Democratic even though they are almost all in Republican voting states.