Our Class Ranking?

The national media ( mostly ESPN) certain tries to protect its investment by spinning things in that regard. That was a great win for our team, no doubt about it. Mavric's point about our record against those teams is actually pretty interesting, if not surprising. Still, let's not act like we're on the same level as those teams despite our recent success against 'five-star' teams (two wins against Michigan and a win against Georgia). Nebraska was very close to getting over the hump in 2009 and 2010 as the point differential Mavric pointed out proves, but I think we have regressed from that point for the past 3 seasons. Recruiting, relative to the teams that we're discussing, is a big reason why.

Yet we're 3-1 in the last year and a half against those teams. So by that measure we've drastically improved.

The national media ( mostly ESPN) certain tries to protect its investment by spinning things in that regard. That was a great win for our team, no doubt about it. Mavric's point about our record against those teams is actually pretty interesting, if not surprising. Still, let's not act like we're on the same level as those teams despite our recent success against 'five-star' teams (two wins against Michigan and a win against Georgia). Nebraska was very close to getting over the hump in 2009 and 2010 as the point differential Mavric pointed out proves, but I think we have regressed from that point for the past 3 seasons. Recruiting, relative to the teams that we're discussing, is a big reason why.

Yet we're 3-1 in the last year and a half against those teams. So by that measure we've drastically improved.

Our competitiveness within the conference has not improved in that period.

Our competitiveness within the conference has not improved in that period.

Who has the best record in conference play since we joined the conference and how do we compare?

For the sake of this argument, I included the conference win-lose record for each team in the B1G for the last three years while Nebraska was a member. To Dr Strangelove's point, with a 5-3 record in 2011 and then again in 2013, you could say our competitiveness has not improved.

Still, as you can see, only Ohio St (+2) and Michigan St (+1) have better records in this three year time. Thus, an argument could easily be made that we have been very competitive in the B1G.

Leaders win-lose total (record for 2011, 2012, 2013)

Michigan St 18-6 (7-1, 3-5, 8-0)

Nebraska 17-7 (5-3, 7-1, 5-3)

Michigan 15-9 (6-2, 6-2, 3-5)

Iowa 11-13 (4-4, 2-6, 5-3)

Northwestern 9-15 (3-5, 5-3, 1-7)

Minnesota 8-16 (2-6, 2-6, 4-4)

Legends

Ohio St 19-5 (3-5, 8-0, 8-0)

Wisconsin 16-8 (6-2, 4-4, 6-2)

Penn St 16-8 (6-2, 6-2, 4-4)

Purdue 7-17 (4-4, 3-5, 0-8)

Indiana 5-19 (0-8, 2-6, 3-5)

Illinois 3-21 (2-6, 0-8, 1-7)

Perhaps I'm simply stewing in our conference play this season... Our turnover and field position issues have gotten worse, particularly this last season. It's hard to feel like progress is being made when these issues continue to plague the team. It was downright disheartening to see Nebraska come out and against Iowa the way they did. It was like watching Michigan State all over again.

Progress on defense was counteracted by stagnation/turnover issues on offense. It would be nice to see Nebraska put together a team that was consistent on both sides of the ball, the last time I've seen that was '10. So when I say 'competitive', I should be referring to a complete and consistent team. So, in that regard, I personally think we have regressed over the last 3 seasons.

Perhaps I'm simply stewing in our conference play this season... Our turnover and field position issues have gotten worse, particularly this last season. It's hard to feel like progress is being made when these issues continue to plague the team. It was downright disheartening to see Nebraska come out and against Iowa the way they did. It was like watching Michigan State all over again.

Progress on defense was counteracted by stagnation/turnover issues on offense. It would be nice to see Nebraska put together a team that was consistent on both sides of the ball, the last time I've seen that was '10. So when I say 'competitive', I should be referring to a complete and consistent team. So, in that regard, I personally think we have regressed over the last 3 seasons.

While you may personally think this, Mavric is (IMO) presenting pretty telling facts that directly disagree with what you're saying.

While you may personally think this, Mavric is (IMO) presenting pretty telling facts that directly disagree with what you're saying.

seems to me NU is not really trending at all. To assert that NU is seriously in regression or seriously in progression is not something that can be really defended. Modest regression or modest progression, I guess, is defensible. I'd say that NU has been upper mid-conference level OK as a team for a while and that has not changed much nor is it likely to change much anytime soon. Seems that NU has been, and continues to be, generally a #3-5 conference team (in a weak conference) and a #20-#30 national-level team. Nothing has changed for a while and nothing indicates that any significant change is likely in the immediate future.

seems to me NU is not really trending at all. To assert that NU is seriously in regression or seriously in progression is not something that can be really defended. Modest regression or modest progression, I guess, is defensible. I'd say that NU has been upper mid-conference level OK as a team for a while and that has not changed much nor is it likely to change much anytime soon. Seems that NU has been, and continues to be, generally a #3-5 conference team (in a weak conference) and a #20-#30 national-level team. Nothing has changed for a while and nothing indicates that any significant change is likely in the immediate future.

Do you think things have or will change? :)

Do you think things have or will change? :)

I think things have not changed much in the final analysis over the past 4 years. Sure, from one season to the next the D might improve but the O regresses. Or, dropping passes which plagued the team 3 years ago... that was improved, but other aspects of the team went the wrong way. So... sure, certain units within the team have changed from year-to-year and certain aspects of the team have changed too. But, taken on the whole... NU is #3-#5 conference wise and #20-#30 nationally --- not really vying for anything meaningful when all is said and done. They get there each year somewhat differently but the final positioning is pretty constant.

Do I expect improvement? No. Not until a new staff is put in charge. At least no improvement that is major or sustained (then again, I do not see major regression either). But, I'd guess that with this staff we have seen what we will see... and like groundhog day (the movie) it will recycle through year to year until the staff goes.

Interesting that you say #3-5 when the last five years we've been 2-2-5-2-5. I guess that just fits the narrative better.

• Fire 1

Interesting that you say #3-5 when the last five years we've been 2-2-5-2-5. I guess that just fits the narrative better.

I do not believe that when bowls were assigned that NU was # 2-2-5-2-5. And... one of those #2's was when OSU was on probation and they were the #1 team (but not counted). Also... you count as a #2 when NU loses in the championship game and place NU as #2 on that basis when it is reasonable that the #2 (or even #3) team in the other division was better than NU that year. So... I would say that NU was really #3 or lower in the conference each of the last 4 years with NU # 5 on several of them. I also only went back 4 years so... I'd say 3-5-3-5 over the past 4 years... exactly as I stated.

I do not believe that when bowls were assigned that NU was # 2-2-5-2-5. And... one of those #2's was when OSU was on probation and they were the #1 team (but not counted). Also... you count as a #2 when NU loses in the championship game and place NU as #2 on that basis when it is reasonable that the #2 (or even #3) team in the other division was better than NU that year. So... I would say that NU was really #3 or lower in the conference each of the last 4 years with NU # 5 on several of them. I also only went back 4 years so... I'd say 3-5-3-5 over the past 4 years... exactly as I stated.

So you're just basing that on your "reason" instead of actually looking at the won-lost records of the teams in the conference?

So you're just basing that on your "reason" instead of actually looking at the won-lost records of the teams in the conference?

Yes. That's exactly what he's saying.

Well, I think what he is stating is paritally true. Yes, we're 3-1 against those teams the last year and a half which suggests progression. However, he conveniently left out the blowout loss to Ohio State earlier in the year, which makes our record 3-2. This is only slightly more impressive, and win you consider that 2 of those wins were against a struggling Michigan team... it's not like those were program defining wins like say, a victory against an LSU.

Yes. That's exactly what he's saying.

Well, in all actually we did lose to Ohio State that year and were, in fact, the third best team that season. The 2-2-5-3-5 results DO suggest that we have regressed over the last few seasons which was my original argument.