Stewart Mandel is not a Boliever

It's a worst kept secret that Harvey doesn't like Bo, and it's not top secret that Bo has sent out feelers the past few years. If it was easy to replace him, it would have been done.

Also . . . if anyone wanted Bo he would be gone.

So, nobody wants Bo go, so that's why he's still here?

Does not compute.

What? Does not compute, indeed. Read it again.

whoops... read it if anyone wanted Bo gone.

next really needs to be the year.

BrokenRecord.gif

i had something else posted, but i edited because i decided not to (in the words of every sitcom character in the early 90's, and everyone in the midwest through the rest of the 90's) "go there." it is really hard to talk about this without sounding like a broken record, whether you are optimistic or pessimistic.

that is why i like what mandel had to say. we should no longer expect better, but demand better. clearly these teams are under-performing and it is due to coaching.

next really needs to be the year.

BrokenRecord.gif

i had something else posted, but i edited because i decided not to (in the words of every sitcom character in the early 90's, and everyone in the midwest through the rest of the 90's) "go there." it is really hard to talk about this without sounding like a broken record, whether you are optimistic or pessimistic.

that is why i like what mandel had to say. we should no longer expect better, but demand better. clearly these teams are under-performing and it is due to coaching.

88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif

Ok, so "demand better" and please tell me how you will do it and what will it change.

Right. Eventually a top program has to start enforcing its standards. I'm all for giving more time and all for being completely scared about the alternatives...that said, there comes a point where this job becomes "Come to Nebraska - you have to really blow it to get fired." In which case, you get what you're asking for.

Much is made of the idea that if we fire a guy who won 9 games, nobody would ever want to coach here. It's true, coaches want as much security as they can get. Unlimited, if they can wrangle it ;) It's also necessary for any good AD to make sure that's not the case, with W/L as well as off-field standards befitting the university. At Nebraska, in both categories those standards should be world class.

Ok, so "demand better" and please tell me how you will do it and what will it change.

We'll try a different coach. Maybe they'll be better. Maybe they'll be worse. Maybe they'll be roughly the same.

It's going to happen eventually but the sooner the better, IMO. The Nebraska brand is fading fast. When fan support/money and winning are your biggest strengths (as opposed to proximity to recruits, weather, beaches, etc.) our status quo is death by a thousand cuts.

If we don't demand better we won't get better.

Edit: It's somewhat disturbing that one of the more commonly heard phrases defending Pelini's performance is some variation of "things could be worse!" I'm not as old as knapplc but I can remember fans expecting a bit more.

• Fire 4

Right. Eventually a top program has to start enforcing its standards. I'm all for giving more time and all for being completely scared about the alternatives...that said, there comes a point where this job becomes "Come to Nebraska - you have to really blow it to get fired." In which case, you get what you're asking for.

Much is made of the idea that if we fire a guy who won 9 games, nobody would ever want to coach here. It's true, coaches want as much security as they can get. Unlimited, if they can wrangle it ;) It's also necessary for any good AD to make sure that's not the case, with W/L as well as off-field standards befitting the university. At Nebraska, in both categories those standards should be world class.

No it's more like "Come to Nebraska, you have to do a bad job to get fired."

Has Bo done a great job? Nope. Has he done a bad job? Nope. I'd say he's right about in the good enough range.

Can you name schools in the last 40 years that have fired a coach for job performance that had a 9 games that season?

We'll try a different coach. Maybe they'll be better. Maybe they'll be worse. Maybe they'll be roughly the same.

It's going to happen eventually but the sooner the better, IMO. The Nebraska brand is fading fast. When fan support/money and winning are your biggest strengths (as opposed to proximity to recruits, weather, beaches, etc.) our status quo is death by a thousand cuts.

Edit: It's somewhat disturbing that one of the more commonly heard phrases defending Pelini's performance is some variation of "things could be worse!" I'm not as old as knapplc but I can remember fans expecting a bit more.

I find it odd that some think finding a new coach is like buying a new pair of pants.

I find it odd that some think finding a new coach is like buying a new pair of pants.

Where are you seeing that?

Never mind . . . just keep worrying about how much worse things could be. :P

Can you name schools in the last 40 years that have fired a coach for job performance that had a 9 games that season?

i will guess not many, if any. but so what? does every school have the same standards as nebraska? 9 wins is not our standard, competing for championships is.

and a good contract would ease most prospective coach's minds. psu got a top notch coach in bill o'brien after nearly insurmountable sanctions. and franklin, who i think is a good coach that would have been worth the risk, to come while still recovering from the sanctions.