Pelini challenges Tanner Farmer to wrestling match

NUance

#82 ranked kid and he's Bo best recruit....lineman at that. /sigh.

Another one who has (five) stars in his eyes when it comes to recruiting. :hmmph

I'm not going to bore the rest of us with a list of 5 star busts and zero star success stories, up to and including careers in the NFL. But I will tell you a dirty little secret about recruits:

Conditioning and coaching trumps mythical internet rankings come kickoff time. That's why Mack Brown from Texas University is an ex-coach today...

#82 ranked kid and he's Bo best recruit....lineman at that. /sigh.

I'm not going to bore the rest of us with a list of 5 star busts and zero star success stories, up to and including careers in the NFL. But I will tell you a dirty little secret about recruits:

Because we could tell you more 5 star success and zero star bust stories?

From 2002-2008, 52% of 5 star recruits were drafted. Another 7% of the undrafted ones made rosters. I'd take those odds, any day of the week. And the services have only gotten better since 2002.

What's the percentage of the 52% of 5 stars drafted that made All-Pro or pro bowl teams versus the same number for 2stars or worse?

No idea (don't have time to analyze 15,000 D1 players over the last decade or so - sorry ;) ), doesn't really matter though - their career after college impacts the college they played for in no way. But you have to assume if they were drafted or made the roster, they were a pretty good college player. We're looking to have, maybe, 2 drafted this year. So you assume the odds are that every 5 star you signed would have about a 60% change of being one of the top 2-3 players on the Nebraska roster. Pretty good odds.

Baker Steinkuhler was one of the undrafted 5 stars. I wouldn't mind a team full of Baker's. (although our passing game might suffer some)

her is 2009's class to give you and idea. Pretty good percentage...I'd have liked to have a few of those guys. Not all the 2014 guys will get drafted, but there's some good plays in that list too.

2009 RECRUITING CLASS

1. Tennessee RB Bryce Brown: Undrafted. (Transferred to Kansas State.)

2. LSU WR Rueben Randle: Second-round pick by New York Giants in 2012 draft.

3. Alabama OT D.J. Fluker: First-round pick by San Diego in 2013 draft.

4. Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson: First-round pick by New York Jets in 2013 draft.

5. USC QB Matt Barkley: Third-round pick by Philadelphia in 2013 draft.

6. Alabama RB Trent Richardson: First-round pick by Cleveland in 2012 draft.

7. LSU QB Russell Shepard: Undrafted.

8. USC DE Devon Kennard: In 2014 draft.

9. Arizona State LB Vontaze Burfict: Undrafted.

10. Florida LB Jelani Jenkins: Fourth-round pick by Miami in 2013 draft.

11. Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick: First-round pick by New York Jets in 2013 draft.

12. Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o: Second-round pick by San Diego in 2013 draft.

13. Miami S Ray-Ray Armstrong: Undrafted.

14. Texas DE Alex Okafor: Fourth-round pick by Arizona in 2013 draft.

15. Florida State DT Jacobbi McDaniel: In 2014 draft.

16. North Carolina DT Donte Paige-Moss: Undrafted.

17. Tennessee CB Janzen Jackson: Undrafted.

18. Texas QB Garrett Gilbert: In 2014 draft. (Transferred to SMU.)

19. USC S Patrick Hall: Left USC, whereabouts unknown.

20. LSU S Craig Loston: In 2014 draft.

21. Florida WR Andre Debose: Will be a sixth-year senior at Florida in the fall.

22. Texas A&M RB Christine Michael: Second-round pick by Seattle in 2013 draft.

23. Florida DT Gary Brown: Undrafted. (Never played a down of major-college football.)

24. Arkansas CB Darius Winston: Undrafted.

25. LSU DT Chris Davenport: In 2014 draft. (Transferred to Tulane.)

26. Michigan DT William Campbell: Sixth-round pick by New York Jets in 2013 draft.

27. Florida State CB Greg Reid: Undrafted. (Transferred to Valdosta State.)

28. Georgia CB Branden Smith: Undrafted.

29. Texas OL Mason Walters: In 2014 draft.

30. USC DB T.J. McDonald: Third-round pick by St. Louis in 2013 draft.

31. Ohio State CB Corey Brown: In 2014 draft.

32. Alabama LB Nico Johnson: Fourth-round pick by Kansas City in 2013 draft.

33. Ohio State LB Dorian Bell: In 2014 draft. (Transferred to Duquesne.)

From 2002-2008, 52% of 5 star recruits were drafted. Another 7% of the undrafted ones made rosters. I'd take those odds, any day of the week. And the services have only gotten better since 2002.

How do you explain Kansas State owning Texas? The stars don't add up there , do they?

...and where did the vaunted services put Danny Woodhead heading into college?

Look, just so we don't drag this out, you are entitled to your star-bellied sneetches and the theories behind them. I don't start judging players until I take the field, just like I judge a dog by its hunting and not its papers, and a rifle by how well it shoots and not its price tag. I just am not interested in theories and speculation, especially when disparaging a coach.

Stars matter/dont matter argument goes both ways. For every Bama, who lives at the top in performance and recruiting, there's a Texas that vastly underperforms. For every Ohio St who does well in both, there is a Kansas St or a Michigan St that vastly overperforms. There's no right or wrong here. You have to get guys that fit you first and foremost. And every now and then a great coach like Saban comes along who can not only take the best, but plug them in all across the board effectively, and you get the freight train that Bama is right now. Or that USC was under Carroll.