Question about Mac and iDVD

I recently purchased my first Mac computer for work and I'm actually loving it compared to the last few PCs I've had. However, I have a question. I have been taping my son's basketball games and have been watching with him on the computer. I would like to burn them to a DVD so that I we can watch them on a bigger screen at home. It would be easier to go through the film with him on a bigger screen instead of on the computer.

I realize that currently, I do not have a DVD burning software on my computer and I am reading that Apple doesn't distribute and support iDVD anymore. I then read that I can get something to do what I want by purchasing something called iLife. I see that iLife has iPhoto, iMovie and Garage Band. I already have all of those on my computer.

Do any of you have experience with this? what exactly do I need to do to be able to do this? I downloaded another program that was offered as "Free". Now that it's downloaded it is claiming it's just a trial and I need to purchase the product for around $70. If I'm going to purchase something, I would rather purchase something that was specifically made by Apple to go with my other apps like iMovie.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Your new computer should have an hdmi out put on it just plug it into the tv directly and go from there.

I know I can do that and it appears that is what Apple wants you to do. But, this is my work computer and I don't want to have to take it home to watch the video. So, I want to burn onto a DVD and play it on my DVD player.

Thanks for the response.

There are literally dozens of ways of doing this, depending on what you are using to film, what kind of tv you have, etc.

Here's a good starting point - this is free software: http://burn-osx.sour...glish/home.html

Thanks, I'm trying that now. It asked me to convert it to Mpeg. Is that what I need to do to play it on my DVD player at home? I'm burning it then to DVD-video.

OK...Burn allowed me to burn a DVD but it wasn't in a format that I could play on my DVD player at home. The other burner that I downloaded, that claimed to be free but isn't, allowed me to burn a DVD that did play but there is a huge watermark on the video so in essence, it isn't usable until you pay. So....I know it's possible to burn one and play it, but I don't know what format to burn it on. I looked on the DVD that worked and it's confusing on what to do.

Any ideas? It looks like I have the video on my computer in both MP4 and MPG formats. I think it was MPG that didn't work.

OK...Burn allowed me to burn a DVD but it wasn't in a format that I could play on my DVD player at home. The other burner that I downloaded, that claimed to be free but isn't, allowed me to burn a DVD that did play but there is a huge watermark on the video so in essence, it isn't usable until you pay. So....I know it's possible to burn one and play it, but I don't know what format to burn it on. I looked on the DVD that worked and it's confusing on what to do.

Any ideas? It looks like I have the video on my computer in both MP4 and MPG formats. I think it was MPG that didn't work.

Use the MP4 format. And those programs that want you to buy the software, will always have a watermark. Most of them tell you that when you start to author or burn your new DVD.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious to see if you had resolved your issue. I was a little angry with Apple when they deprecated iDVD, as without it you can't really make a DVD that will play in any standard DVD player (I have a tendency to make videos for friends and family when they have special events).

Luckily I still have my iLife 09 installer which includes iDVD, but you can easy use http://www.iskysoft.com/create-dvd/idvd-mountain-lion.html to author the DVD. You will still use iMovie or whatever to create the movie but this will author a DVD that will play in any player.