so, listening to Sharp and Benning in the morning

74Hunter

I thought they pursued Bo, not the other way around?

Depends of you're a Boliever or Boleaver.

I don't think it depends. Bo was looking for just about any HC job from the time he interviewed the 1st time with the Huskers. Osborne was looking to calm the storm and his candidates were slim...

Wait, if I'm to believe the Bo-leavers, there is no shortage of quality coaching candidates waiting in line for this job.

I didn't say there wasn't. Osborne himself said he only interviewed 3 candidates. Bo, Gill, and Grobe from Wake Forest

People are talking about other jobs Bo pursued while here. You could probably characterize the direction of pursuit either way. It is most likely there was never any serious interest on either part, but at one point Bo was content to let his administration sweat out the possibility before issuing a denial (remember Sipple's articles c. Dec 2010?) And we do know about Bo's at least once held attitude of 'you will miss me when I'm gone' directed at not only the administration, but the fans.

Now though, things have simmered. Everyone wants tensions defused and for example the administration is not discussing how close Bo probably was to losing his job last year. And Bo, needing to stay in everyone's good graces after all, no longer wants that impression that oh yeah, he might just leave us ungrateful sobs. I don't think he has for some time now.

The question to me is, if things turn sour for Bo, does he go back to guns blazing, burn down the bridge and slam the door on the way out?

Why not? He may not get a HC job right away but a team will pick him up as a position coach in the NFL or a DC in college.

Bo's "pursuit" of other jobs was nothing more than typical feelers put out by his agent of which I guarantfrickintee you goes on at pretty much everywhere. Aside from the Ohio St job, he never seriously pursued any of those jobs. There were words spoken, and slight interest yes, but nothing out of the norm. And now, yes, on cue, a lot of us are now using that as ammo since we keep losing 4 games.

Bo's no innocent victim. He used that as ammo himself. Now it'd be more convenient for him if everybody just forgot about it. I agree, it's due diligence and goes on anywhere. My take on it is the perception that it was more was at least partially stoked by Bo at first, but since backpedaled.

There was a time when Bo's position was a lot stronger - let's say before getting pasted by 7-5 Wisconsin on the big stage - and I feel there was a lot more desire to let the fans/media/administration he was at odds with to sweat and worry about potentially losing him.

StPaul, I don't mean I wonder if he'll land on his feet somewhere. I mean I wonder if he's going to go out with parting shots and vitriol if he has a bad season and is fired.

I thought they pursued Bo, not the other way around?

Depends of you're a Boliever or Boleaver.

I don't think it depends. Bo was looking for just about any HC job from the time he interviewed the 1st time with the Huskers. Osborne was looking to calm the storm and his candidates were slim so he went with the coach that could help the team where it needed it most-defense.

It was a mutual attraction. But make no mistake-Bo doesn't get the NU job and he is interviewing anywhere else that needed a HC.

I was talking about his alleged looking around while he was here.

Bo was hired in mid season, coaching search was a joke. Look to Dallas area for your answers I believe. Grobe is who Tom wanted, and was honestly the only other coach that would have been accepted, if he would have accepted the offer. He did not. Bo was chosen by the boosters, paid for by the boosters and shoved down Tom's throat. Believe what ever you want. Bo was not and would not have been Tom's choice. But being the man Tom is, he did the best with what he had.

• Fire 2

Bo was hired in mid season, coaching search was a joke. Look to Dallas area for your answers I believe. Grobe is who Tom wanted, and was honestly the only other coach that would have been accepted, if he would have accepted the offer. He did not. Bo was chosen by the boosters, paid for by the boosters and shoved down Tom's throat. Believe what ever you want. Bo was not and would not have been Tom's choice. But being the man Tom is, he did the best with what he had.

Jim Grobe?

2ihma3d.gif

• Fire 2

2ihma3d.gif

From the scuttlebutt on the radio, it was said that Grobe wanted to bring his whole staff, and TO said no, he needed to have a couple of NU guys on his staff, fwiw.

The job was offered to Jim Grobe, Wake Forest. Man has done a lot with very little, but may have been getting towards the end of that. Tom wanted him for his past performance, ability to make something out of basically nothing. Gill was considered, I am sure, but did not have the background that Grobe did. The money man likes or did like Grobe.

Yes Watson was the reason, as Tom wanted him here,Gobe said all his guys or no thanks, and it moved rapidly from there. But Bo was in the wings very early.

At least that was the inside information at the time. Used to be pretty close, not any longer.

The obvious difference, of course, is that everyone was saying Nebraska was nuts when Solich got axed in 03. I watched the commentary after Bo's defiant, stupid child act after Iowa, and nearly all expected Bo to not make the weekend.

Kind of an important point.

I'll concede that. But if you think that getting rid of a guy that just went 8-4 would be a slam dunk, out of this world hire, we're gonna have to agree to disagree. Both USC and texa$$ (better jobs than DoNU) went way down their lists to get guys to fill those jobs, so I can't imagine that Nebraska would have pulled a better candidate that those two. Personally, I think that Strong will do ok at texa$$, but I can't imagine Sark being a great hire at USC.

Doesn't have to be better than them. It just has to be better than the current person. 74, as a person without a dog in this fight I have to tell you. You really are struggling here.

You aren't going to change their minds, they aren't going to change yours. At this point, unless somebody has some new evidence to use to back up their side of this then I say we put it on the back burner until some actual football games are played. Those Saturdays in the fall are what are going to show program trajectory.

Here's to one fan hoping the Huskers win the damn B1G and I don't have to think about or listen to this for a year. :cheers

+1

The job was offered to Jim Grobe, Wake Forest. Man has done a lot with very little, but may have been getting towards the end of that. Tom wanted him for his past performance, ability to make something out of basically nothing. Gill was considered, I am sure, but did not have the background that Grobe did. The money man likes or did like Grobe.

Yes Watson was the reason, as Tom wanted him here,Gobe said all his guys or no thanks, and it moved rapidly from there. But Bo was in the wings very early.

At least that was the inside information at the time. Used to be pretty close, not any longer.

That's interesting don't remember that although Grobe did do a good job with a sh**ty program at WF.