VV, Class of 2012 Looking to End the Drought

Valentine, now a starting Husker defensive tackle, sometimes thinks about that night. He was involved in grisly losses last season, but the 2012 Big Ten title game still motivates him. It motivates other members of that 2012 recruiting class, a tight-knit group.

A group on a mission.

A group determined to end Nebraska's god-awful conference-title drought.

To college kids, 1999 must seem an eternity ago.

"Our class is really close," Valentine says.

Nebraska's class of 2012 defies recruiting odds. A longtime assistant coach at the major-college level once told me that if you're batting .500 in recruiting, you're doing OK. Well, get this: Of NU's 17 scholarship signees in the 2012 class, no fewer than 13 already have been significant contributors.

To name a few: Tommy Armstrong, LeRoy Alexander, Zaire Anderson, Imani Cross, Aaron Curry, Greg McMullen, Jordan Westerkamp, Rose.

And yes, Valentine. He's prominent in this discussion, and becoming more so.

LJS

He admits to failing to understand the level of commitment necessary to thrive in the Big Ten.

"You have to play hard every snap or you'll get put on your butt," he says. "I don't think I played hard every snap, but I've gotten used to the college level now, and I'm starting to do that."

Wondering if someday we can finally get past quotes like this. Every year, we have a great potential talent throwing something like this out there. Whether it's Rose, Turner, Westerkamp, VV, CJax...too many players are reflecting on previous seasons with observations of failure in commitment, and effort. No wonder we constantly hear about a lack of consistent execution.

He admits to failing to understand the level of commitment necessary to thrive in the Big Ten.

"You have to play hard every snap or you'll get put on your butt," he says. "I don't think I played hard every snap, but I've gotten used to the college level now, and I'm starting to do that."

Wondering if someday we can finally get past quotes like this. Every year, we have a great potential talent throwing something like this out there. Whether it's Rose, Turner, Westerkamp, VV, CJax...too many players are reflecting on previous seasons with observations of failure in commitment, and effort. No wonder we constantly hear about a lack of consistent execution.

You are always going to get some of these quotes when you play a lot of freshmen and sophomores. Many come in and know they have to work their azzes off but some take a little time. yes....even back in the golden years we had talented players come in and not realize the level of commitment needed the first year or two. The difference is they learned that lesson on the Freshman team instead of in the spot light on national TV on Saturday afternoons.

• Fire 1

You are always going to get some of these quotes when you play a lot of freshmen and sophomores. Many come in and know they have to work their azzes off but some take a little time. yes....even back in the golden years we had talented players come in and not realize the level of commitment needed the first year or two. The difference is they learned that lesson on the Freshman team instead of in the spot light on national TV on Saturday afternoons.

Very true, and it's probably indicative of today's 14-22 year old's as well. Work ethic is eroding at every level - not shocking it carries over into the roster.

what else do you say when you do not perform as you had hoped other than that you were not prepared enough. i do not think it is a big deal. you always learn that you need to prepare more. whether it is physically, mentally, more efficiently, whatever. that should be a constant lesson.

Very true, and it's probably indicative of today's 14-22 year old's as well. Work ethic is eroding at every level - not shocking it carries over into the roster.

People have to understand that these kids come out of HS thinking they are absolutely king Snizzle because that is what they have been told since they were 4 years old. They just got done with an amazing HS career where they were big man on campus and many times the best player on the field. Many reached this level through pure talent and really didn't have to work like they will have to when they get to college and are with 100 other guys who are just as talented as they are or better.

Bo and Company then have to make those guys realize they can't get by on pure talent alone. They now have to work their AZZES off to get what they want. For some, it needs to smack them in the face before they believe it.

BUT.....that doesn't mean they can't turn it around and realize every dream they had when they originally came to college.

People have to understand that these kids come out of HS thinking they are absolutely king Snizzle because that is what they have been told since they were 4 years old. They just got done with an amazing HS career where they were big man on campus and many times the best player on the field. Many reached this level through pure talent and really didn't have to work like they will have to when they get to college and are with 100 other guys who are just as talented as they are or better.

Bo and Company then have to make those guys realize they can't get by on pure talent alone. They now have to work their AZZES off to get what they want. For some, it needs to smack them in the face before they believe it.

BUT.....that doesn't mean they can't turn it around and realize every dream they had when they originally came to college.

You state..."Bo and Company then have to make those guys realize they can't get by on pure talent alone. They now have to work their AZZES off to get what they want. For some, it needs to smack them in the face before they believe it"

Agreed. To date, Bo and company have been unsuccessful in this endeavor.

Further --- and this is evident this spring --- the coaches let these players run off at the mouth of how good they think they will be and how dominating they think they can be. Tell those players not only to not to talk that way but do not think that way either. The coaches need to tell these kids to shut up and let your play on the field speak for you. tell them work your butt off and close your mouth.

You state..."Bo and Company then have to make those guys realize they can't get by on pure talent alone. They now have to work their AZZES off to get what they want. For some, it needs to smack them in the face before they believe it"

Further --- and this is evident this spring --- the coaches let these players run off at the mouth of how good they think they will be and how dominating they think they can be. Tell those players not only to not to talk that way but do not think that way either. The coaches need to tell these kids to shut up and let your play on the field speak for you. tell them work your butt off and close your mouth.

What????

I think this is just another one of them deals stemming from Bo's inexperience as a head coach and having to handle so much more than as a coordinator. He's got to find a way to find that balance between confidence/swagger and humility.

While I've had my fair share of doubt about the direction of the program under Pelini, I must admit that I am getting excited about this team. My optimism is tempered by recent let downs, but I can't shake the sense that the defense might be getting back on track this season. I am especially encouraged about the d-line and think it will actually be a strength of the defense. And I think our secondary will be excellent. I've always liked Josh Mitchell and am excited to see what he can do as the feature corner, not to mention Cooper and Alexander roaming the deep.

My head says not to believe, but my heart is starting to think this team can do some big things in the near future.