Rancher vs. Feds

I have said for a long time (and I feel even stronger now) that the biggest threat to the US is the media in this country. They can do more harm than anything anyone can do in Washington. You will always have politicians who try to gain power by convincing the public of certain views. The media should be there to challenge them on those views not PROMOTE those views. When you have the media promoting one side and their convoluted views of the world that are only put out there to gain power, it is an EXTREMELY dangerous combination.

This isn't just about Fox News even though (as I said above) they have perfected the practice. This goes to web sites, email accounts, radio stations, talk shows, Hollywood documentaries and on and on and on....

It is extremely easy for anyone with a certain view to drown themselves in media that agrees with their views and insulate themselves away from anyone who disagrees with their views. Once that is done, they can be convinced of anything those media outlets want them to believe.

Still one of the best most profound videos from any "news" channel.

Thankfully, Twitter, Reddit, Anonymous, forums like Huskerboard, websites such as FiveThirtyEight and Vox, and other sources are trending us in the right direction I think. The information has always been there, but it's getting to be more and more accessible and more and more mainstream.

I have said for a long time (and I feel even stronger now) that the biggest threat to the US is the media in this country. They can do more harm than anything anyone can do in Washington. You will always have politicians who try to gain power by convincing the public of certain views. The media should be there to challenge them on those views not PROMOTE those views. When you have the media promoting one side and their convoluted views of the world that are only put out there to gain power, it is an EXTREMELY dangerous combination.

This isn't just about Fox News even though (as I said above) they have perfected the practice. This goes to web sites, email accounts, radio stations, talk shows, Hollywood documentaries and on and on and on....

It is extremely easy for anyone with a certain view to drown themselves in media that agrees with their views and insulate themselves away from anyone who disagrees with their views. Once that is done, they can be convinced of anything those media outlets want them to believe.

Thankfully, Twitter, Reddit, Anonymous, forums like Huskerboard, websites such as FiveThirtyEight and Vox, and other sources are trending us in the right direction I think. The information has always been there, but it's getting to be more and more accessible and more and more mainstream.

True, but people still can burry themselves in message boards that have only people who agree with their views.

True, but people still can burry themselves in message boards that have only people who agree with their views.

Or ignore the posters that they don't agree with.

Ha! Was just going to post that! :)

Some of the crap is rather scary and is pissing me off like this exchange:

While trying to vet that "intel," several Oath Keepers attempted to offer an offsite hotel room to a woman who was staying in the Bundy camp with her two children. "She got angry and said that we weren't trusting God enough, and that's her mission to be there, God wanted her to be there," Rhodes says in his video. "And that's fine. But she started yelling and screaming."

Seriously--who in their right mind would involve children in this thing? Are they seriously using women and children as shields in case the Federal Government comes in?

All so they can get a link on the Drudge Report saying 'Feds kill children, women over Bundy's land' that the American Taliban can then start winding themselves up about?

Western Journalism (where the hell did these guys come from?) seems pretty impressed:

Wow: When A Guy Pulls Out One Of These, And Then Says This, You Know Harry Reid Has A Problem

Mike Vanderboegh of the “Three Percenters” movement, speaking at the Bundy Ranch, has a harsh warning for Harry Reid.

At first, he warns that Civil War is closer than anyone thinks and is “staring us in the bloody face”.

But the end of the speech is where things really get interesting. Watch, and let us know what you think below.

Read more at http://www.westernjo...lZTtGPSrevdl.99

Video at the link.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't really know where the best place to post this is so thought maybe here would be good.

This is a fantastic discussion on how and why people from all areas of politics believe conspiracy theories. It also talks about what happens when people only read or listen to media outlets that agree with their beliefs or only talk to people who believe the same as they do.

LINK

PS....I hope the computer in the back ground isn't what they still use in their offices.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this topic because a couple of Bundy Supporters tried to start a revolution by shooting cops in Las Vegas.

Not only is this event linked geographically with Bundy, the shooters were supporters of Bundy's and wrote articles/manifestos for sites such as Info Wars (a Tea Party Conspiracy/anti-conventional media site).

matthew_m_g, I for one, am shocked.

Also, in a related note, I didn't know that the Texas GOP official platform contained this dog whistle bit of crazy:

State Militia – We support the establishment and maintenance of a volunteer Constitutional State Militia with assistance from County Sheriffs.

http://www.texasgop.org/wp-content/themes/rpt/images/2012Platform_Final.pdf

Quit winking at the crazy.

Quit winking at the crazy.

Dude, it's not winking at the crazy--my concern is because these echochambers like Fox News have legitimized the Tea Party and their heavily-armed, mentally-addled ilk, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

As the GOP slowly regains its party and separates itself from Tea Party hysterics, said Tea Party is going to start endorsing extreme measures in an effort to maintain exposure and relevance. The more the country withdraws from them, the louder, crazier, and unfortunately, the more dangerous they will become.

This could have been stopped years ago by calling these folks out on what they truly are...but instead, they were given a microphone and air time. The proverbial genie is out of the bottle, and it's not going back in without a gunfight and dead establishment members.

As for Texass, there's always special brand of crazy down here--the problem is, it was confined to its borders and it's brethren in the "War of Northern Aggression" (not making it up--that's how they teach it in Texass). Now that it's out, maybe we'll be able to extricate it from both the nation and the State of Texass.

Good lord. If they weren't white nut jobs, can you even imagine the uproar right now over the Administration's decision to leave them be?

Are you kidding me? They'd already be attempting to form an impeachment hearing.

And I wouldn't be shocked that we see some type of Tea Party-sponsored act of terrorism against the President in the next few years...especially if Hillary runs and wins. Of course, it wouldn't be labeled as 'terrorism' on Fox News, but probably as 'an Act of Courage, Patriotism, and Ultimate Sacrifice'. :-|

So how does this pertain to the NRA? I don’t know—could it be Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre’s referring to law-enforcement officials trying to do their jobs as “jack-booted thugs?” Could it be that LaPierre says things like this:

We know that sooner or later reckless government actions and policies have consequences, that when government corrupts the truth and breaks faith with the American people, the entire fabric of society, everything we believe in and count on, is then in jeopardy.

Or when he says that: “Government policies are getting us killed.” I could go on, but we’d run out of space if we tried to include all of LaPierre’s sedition, or even his greatest hits in inciting riot.

Put simply, the NRA’s leaders have demonized anyone whose job it is to enforce our laws and protect the United States in its pamphlets, emails, speeches, TV ads, Web shows, radio programming, and anywhere else they can unleash this cancer on the American public. So is it then shocking when their more unstable allies and adherents use the same language when planning or executing the mass killing of policemen, judges or other government officials?

If Wayne LaPierre were instead named Wayne Mohammed, do you think we’d still be hearing from him? Or would he be in a black site in Romania somewhere?

Then there are the others who take the NRA official line to heart, the open-carry movement. In an America where gun rights for three decades were constantly expanded, where one can wear a handgun in a holster in many states quite openly, these geniuses feel a need to bring their long guns with them to restaurants and other places where families like to gather, generally without the presence of AK-47s. It has nothing to do with gun rights, but a lot to do with intimidating others and making the rest of us not only accept their guns, but have as irrational an attachment to their weapons, or property if you will, as they do.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/09/from-las-vegas-to-georgia-the-nra-has-created-a-monster.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cheatsheet_afternoon&cid=newsletter%3Bemail%3Bcheatsheet_afternoon&utm_term=Cheat%20Sheet

So how does this pertain to the NRA? I don’t know—could it be Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre’s referring to law-enforcement officials trying to do their jobs as “jack-booted thugs?” Could it be that LaPierre says things like this:

We know that sooner or later reckless government actions and policies have consequences, that when government corrupts the truth and breaks faith with the American people, the entire fabric of society, everything we believe in and count on, is then in jeopardy.

Or when he says that: “Government policies are getting us killed.” I could go on, but we’d run out of space if we tried to include all of LaPierre’s sedition, or even his greatest hits in inciting riot.

Put simply, the NRA’s leaders have demonized anyone whose job it is to enforce our laws and protect the United States in its pamphlets, emails, speeches, TV ads, Web shows, radio programming, and anywhere else they can unleash this cancer on the American public. So is it then shocking when their more unstable allies and adherents use the same language when planning or executing the mass killing of policemen, judges or other government officials?

If Wayne LaPierre were instead named Wayne Mohammed, do you think we’d still be hearing from him? Or would he be in a black site in Romania somewhere?

Then there are the others who take the NRA official line to heart, the open-carry movement. In an America where gun rights for three decades were constantly expanded, where one can wear a handgun in a holster in many states quite openly, these geniuses feel a need to bring their long guns with them to restaurants and other places where families like to gather, generally without the presence of AK-47s. It has nothing to do with gun rights, but a lot to do with intimidating others and making the rest of us not only accept their guns, but have as irrational an attachment to their weapons, or property if you will, as they do.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/09/from-las-vegas-to-georgia-the-nra-has-created-a-monster.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cheatsheet_afternoon&cid=newsletter%3Bemail%3Bcheatsheet_afternoon&utm_term=Cheat%20Sheet

So what you're saying is that words have meaning and actions have consequences?

That line of thought is so anathema to the Tea Party...