Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia

LINK

3,280-feet tall, almost two and one half times higher than our Sears building (Chicago). Only thing, very cheap cost....only $1.23B. Equal to Barclays Arena in NYC. And one B-2 plane.

Slave labor?

My guess, misprint. $12.3B instead of $1.23B???

Except belly dancers, women are not allowed inside Kingdom Tower. Saudi tradition :D .

140416164143-saudi-freedom-tower-cloud-view-horizontal-gallery.jpg

675px-BurjKhalifaHeight.svg.png

Burj Khalifa cost was $1.5B. Burj LINK. Proposed Warren Buffet Tower in Omaha?

Slave labor?

Almost at that level yea. Tons of Indians and Pakistanis that the Saudis don't treat very well and don't do much to protect.

With the completion of the Kingdom Tower, three out of the five tallest buildings on the planet will be on the Arabian peninsula.

Current first: Burj Khalifa, Khalifa tower in Dubai.

Burj_khalifa_01.jpgBurj-Khalifa2.jpgBurj-Khalifa-4fae7143c0b49.jpg

Dubai in 1950

olddubaiaerial.jpg

Dubai today

800px-Burj_Dubai_001.jpg

Current third: Abraj Al Bait, the Mecca Royal Hotel Clock Tower. It is the third tallest building in the world, the tallest clocktower and stands just meters away from the Grand Mosque, the largest mosque in the world which can accommodate nearly 4 million visitors during the hajj.

Abraj-Al-Bait-Towers-4.jpg450px-Abraj-al-Bait-Towers.JPG640px-AbrajAlBaitin2011Makkah.JPG

I can't find any good pictures of Jeddah's current skyline but it's come a long way at any rate.

Here it is in 1950:

Jeddah-1938.jpeg

Ironworkers got balls. I'm kinda afraid of heights. No relation with Wallenda's family ;) . My highest was Eiffel Tower observation deck.....shaky for the first minute or so. I got acrophobia sufferers (temporarily, eventually symptoms disappeared before panic attack....thank god). For some reason, airplane trip was no problem at all.

ironworker.jpg

Empire State Building

LINK

Just 410 days from blueprints to final product. Amazing. Our east stadium expansion took 2 years. It reminds me of Apollo project. Face it, our engineers and workers are too lazy.......molasses speed. Proof: Freedom tower in NYC (WTC replacement), construction started in early '06. Still under construction ! :facepalm:

Compared with Barj Dubai, BTW, 1000 feet taller than Freedom tower, took less than 6 years.

Freedom tower cost: $4B. Barj Dubai cost: $1.5B.

US obstacles: bureaucracies, OSHA geeks, unions, too many contractors, under the table negotiation dialogue (kickbacks) and crooked politicians (all of them)

However, Devon Energy Center in downtown OKC only took less than 3 years.

525px-Downtown_okc_skyline.JPG

OKC skyline. Devon skyscraper is far left picture. Pretty cool at night.