4 Big Ten Universities under Federal Investigation for Title 9

The new federal list of 55 colleges and universities with open “sexual violence investigations” includes some of the biggest names in higher education and a few from the Washington region.

The list, released Thursday, continues the federal push to shine a spotlight on campus sex assaults in response to questions raised in recent years about how prominent colleges have handled rape allegations and related issues. This week, a White House task force released a report aiming to help colleges prevent sex assaults.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/education/federal-government-releases-list-of-55-colleges-universities-under-title-ix-investigations-over-handling-of-sexual-violence/2014/05/01/e0a74810-d13b-11e3-937f-d3026234b51c_story.html

Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State

I heard about this story on NPR today and I didn't quite understand it. Why are colleges involved in sexual assault cases anyhow? Would they be involved in murder investigations?

I think that academic disciplinary committees should be involved with academic cases only...plagiarism, cheating and the like. They're not equipped to handle crimes and shouldn't be tasked with them in the first place.

If a student is assaulted on a campus can s/he not choose to go to the "real" police instead of campus police/the university? Would that case not be investigated and tried in the normal civil jurisdiction just as if s/he had been assaulted anywhere else? What makes universities so special? I find this all very confusing.

Someone 'splain it to me.

The department’s Office for Civil Rights is examining complaints it received from individuals on campuses and those it discovered as part of its regular efforts to see if schools are in compliance with the federal law known as Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender at schools that receive federal funding.

The department’s Office for Civil Rights is examining complaints it received from individuals on campuses and those it discovered as part of its regular efforts to see if schools are in compliance with the federal law known as Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender at schools that receive federal funding.

Wouldn't they have to prove that Females accused of sexual assault and punished by Universities are treated more harshly than males? Because I really doubt that's the case.

Not sure how females are being discriminated against here. Not treating sexual assault as serious crimes is a shame but it's not unequal treatment of genders. Female sex crime victims are treated with much more respect and compassion...and have more resources available to them, than males IMO.

Wouldn't they have to prove that Females accused of sexual assault and punished by Universities are treated more harshly than males? Because I really doubt that's the case.

Not sure how females are being discriminated against here. Not treating sexual assault as serious crimes is a shame but it's not unequal treatment of genders. Female sex crime victims are treated with much more respect and compassion...and have more resources available to them, than males IMO.

Maybe it's from the perspective that the schools are not instituting policies and developing infrastructure in a way that isn't conducive towards the safety of women?

This was a release from OSU on the matter; it doesn't seem that every school on the list is actually being "investigated." I would be willing to bet other schools on the list fall under this proactive review category as well. More of a CYA situation, nip it in the bud before there is a problem deal. Would probably be nice if more situations were dealt with before there was an actual problem (whether this statement is entirely accurate, no clue).

Over the past several years, Ohio State has been partnering with the Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights (OCR) on a proactive review of the University's Title IX policies and procedures for combatting student sexual violence and harassment. Throughout that process, which is now winding down, OCR has consistently told us that Ohio State has impressive protocols and resources for combatting sexual harassment, that no major concerns or findings have been identified, and that our protocols could serve as a model for other schools around the country.

These proactive efforts are different from complaint-driven investigations included on the list, as Ohio State is not under investigation for any Title IX complaints about sexual harassment or assault. We have been grateful for our collaboration with the Department and we will vigorously continue work on our shared goal of ensuring a safe and healthy campus climate for our students and for all members of the University community. The Ohio State University unequivocally shares the Department of Education's interest in protecting our students from sexual harassment and assault and upholding the vitally important aims of Title IX.