OWH Projects Husker Depth Chart

I guess I don't think we're as inexperienced on the OLine as many do. We don't have any too much and they haven't played together a lot but all the projected starters except Sterup have starting experience and Sterup got some decent experience down the stretch last year. And the interior of the line played together a lot last year. We also have some decent depth on the interior of the line - not a lot of game experience but guys who've been getting a lot of reps in practice. We will be scrambling if either Lewis or Sterup gets hurt but other than that I think we're in pretty good shape.

I really like the notion of Collins at DE. Especially in run situations, I dont think the taller, lankier tackles can handle his lower center of gravity.

I do, and I don't. I do for the reasons you mention, I don't because it wouldn't even be necessary if we weren't paper thin at DE.

Combined with the fact that we're so loaded at DT that we're just finding ways to get guys on the field situationally.

I guess I don't think we're as inexperienced on the OLine as many do. We don't have any too much and they haven't played together a lot but all the projected starters except Sterup have starting experience and Sterup got some decent experience down the stretch last year. And the interior of the line played together a lot last year. We also have some decent depth on the interior of the line - not a lot of game experience but guys who've been getting a lot of reps in practice. We will be scrambling if either Lewis or Sterup gets hurt but other than that I think we're in pretty good shape.

I am a firm believer that Sterup should have started all of last season along with Sirles. We have had plenty of chances to give young players more in-game experience, but instead our staff chooses to play Mark Pelini and Andrew Rodriguez, who never improved in his 4 years.

Our interior unit did play together a lot last year, but the center position is still a question mark. Mark Pelini is 5'10 280 and is our most experienced option. I would prefer a guy like Reeves, Thurston or Price being thrown into the fire simply because they have more athletic ability. Pelini got lots of PT last year, so you know he is going to get a lot this year. Don't get me wrong, he is an over achiever and the type of guy you want to have on your team. However, it is impossible to have a dominant oline with him as a starter.

I like all of the options we have across the board but Beck does not seem to be fully invested in a run-heavy, power offense, which I think most closely matches our personnel.

I am a firm believer that Sterup should have started all of last season along with Sirles. We have had plenty of chances to give young players more in-game experience, but instead our staff chooses to play Mark Pelini and Andrew Rodriguez, who never improved in his 4 years.

Our interior unit did play together a lot last year, but the center position is still a question mark. Mark Pelini is 5'10 280 and is our most experienced option. I would prefer a guy like Reeves, Thurston or Price being thrown into the fire simply because they have more athletic ability. Pelini got lots of PT last year, so you know he is going to get a lot this year. Don't get me wrong, he is an over achiever and the type of guy you want to have on your team. However, it is impossible to have a dominant oline with him as a starter.

I like all of the options we have across the board but Beck does not seem to be fully invested in a run-heavy, power offense, which I think most closely matches our personnel.

1 - Cotton, Pelini and Moudy did play together a lot in the second half of the season

2 - Your last comment is so far off base as to not be in the stadium anymore.

1 - Cotton, Pelini and Moudy did play together a lot in the second half of the season

2 - Your last comment is so far off base as to not be in the stadium anymore.

If you read my post you will notice that I said our interior line played a lot together last season.

As far as my last comment goes, perhaps I chose some poor wording. Beck says we run a "multiple" offense, whatever that is. Call it what you want, but I believe we lack a true identity on offense. Jack of all trades but masters of nothing. Beck seems like he's still swimming in it to me.

^Sure, which is why when on the road against a pesky Minnesota team and with the Big Ten's best running back, Beck decided to let a gimpy Taylor Martinez throw for it.

So the best example you have is a game where we ran it 30 times and threw it 30 times despite trailing for the last 2.5 quarters? Pointing to a game where we were perfectly balanced doesn't exactly back up that point. And the problem with the pass that game was a lot more about several drops than anything Martinez did or didn't do.

• Fire 1

As far as my last comment goes, perhaps I chose some poor wording. Beck says we run a "multiple" offense, whatever that is. Call it what you want, but I believe we lack a true identity on offense. Jack of all trades but masters of nothing. Beck seems like he's still swimming in it to me.

Why does what anyone calls make any difference? We could call it the Annexation of Puerto Rico and it wouldn't change the fact that we've been at least a Top 20 rushing team for the last four years, often in the Top 10 overall and a couple times in the Top 5 among BCS conference schools. I'd say that's pretty run-heavy.

^Sure, which is why when on the road against a pesky Minnesota team and with the Big Ten's best running back, Beck decided to let a gimpy Taylor Martinez throw for it.

So the best example you have is a game where we ran it 30 times and threw it 30 times despite trailing for the last 2.5 quarters? Pointing to a game where we were perfectly balanced doesn't exactly back up that point. And the problem with the pass that game was a lot more about several drops than anything Martinez did or didn't do.

"Balance" is overrated. Go with what works. And in that game, the passing game wasn't, and it's what Beck went to in crunch time.

• 2 months later...

Any changes since this article came out? LINK

I don't think I'd change much but there hasn't been much to get any new info from.

I think Moudy will have the starting RG spot but hopefully Price can be in the mix. Sounds like Keels was dealing with of-the-field issues this spring which may have slowed his progress so hopefully he can come on and we won't need Collins at DE much - maybe in a run-stuffing package or something.

LB will be interesting. I got the feeling during Spring Ball that Rose and Banderas were the two standing out but I've seen other reports since that Santos and Anderson have spots locked up and it's just Rose and Bando for the third spot. I think we have four guys who can play so that's good.