What's the biggest reason for Blacks not advancing

I have disagreed with neither of those things. But understanding the socioeconomics and the cultural issues surrounding this is much more important and interesting than pointing blame fingers and going "well, idk" Like I think we'd agree that his death was questionable at the very best, and I've stated at least twice that rioting is wrong.

At least you haven't patently denied that systemic oppression exists like some in this thread have, at least not that I can remember

You can never look at an event like this in a vacuum. It's not as simple as "Suspect X did this, Officer Y did this, Rioters Z,W, and Q did this, these are the facts, end." There's a reason that events like these become larger than just the people involved. To the ones rioting, they hear that a police officer did something crappy to an African-American for the umpteenth time, and this straw broke the camel's back. There's a reason that you don't see riots after an unarmed white teen gets gunned down. A) it doesn't happen and B) there's not centuries of racial conflict and decades of police-black conflict driving it. Now rioting is wrong, and there have been like a dozen arrests for it. Good. But rather than sitting here waxing about how good of people we are for not rioting, and judging the actions of people whose lives and struggles we know nothing about, I'd rather we sit here going, yeah, let's fix this so that racial conflict or even perceived racial conflict doesn't cause riots in the future. That's called progress.

It certainly is tragic that a life was lost; it's tragic that property was destroyed. But I'd rather learn more about the emotions and social issues surrounding it than sitting around posting about how a bunch of dumb thugs are sh**ty humans for destroying property. That type of attitude is unproductive too.

And yet no public outcry, rioting or comments from the white house or liberals on the genocide taking place in Chicago.......

Alarming statistics

http://heyjackass.com

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/enough-chicago-murder-by-the-numbers-405#axzz3AEjVMhr8

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/therootdc/post/trayvon-martin-one-year-later-when-will-black-on-black-murders-get-the-attention-they-deserve/2013/02/26/f3c1fa4a-7fa1-11e2-b99e-6baf4ebe42df_blog.html (Good over view of murder rate)

Sad bottom line if it was a black kid killed by another black kid it wouldn't have even gotten a blip on the local news.........

If folks really care that much about the violence, then care all the time, every time. Not just when it fits your political agenda.

• Fire 1

You're missing literally the entire point of why this is a big deal. And what political agenda have I even mentioned?

Not really. Allegations that a police officer shot and killed an unarmed person. People are crying racism, brutality etc and yet there hasn't been a trial, completed investigation or anything else. Facts we do know. People are rioting, looting and causing massive destruction, the FAA shut down airspace and the media is portraying law enforcement as a domestic military force.

Not saying you have an agenda. Do you? It is another example of never letting a tragedy go to waste. The president commented on the tragedy, but I have yet to hear comments about Chicago and the violence there. A US general (Major General Greene) was murdered in A-stan and no comments. Really? That is a tragedy as well.

The point being, because this was a white office (per media) and a black male it is national news yet murders in Chicago eclipse this on a weekend.

But since you mentioned political agendas, check this out!

Obama sends "deep condolences" to family of MO teen killed after allegedly attacking police officer. No condolences for the cop.

Or the business owners, or the journalists........

I hear you. We have different views. I think we can both agree that if the facts are as presented it is a tragedy. I just don't feel that rioting is the correct course. I don't think making death threats to the police officer involved is correct, or burning businesses who had no involvement in the incident or looting stores to prove some point. I also find it ironic that we will see public figures weigh in on this (to include POTUS), but no one talks about Chicago.

You're missing literally the entire point of why this is a big deal. And what political agenda have I even mentioned?

No, he's hitting at an uncomfortable truth: none of this has anything to do with the well-being of the black community. The only time anyone gives a sh#t about a black person being killed is when racial hay can be made out of it.

• Fire 4

No, he's hitting at an uncomfortable truth: none of this has anything to do with the well-being of the black community. The only time anyone gives a sh#t about a black person being killed is when racial hay can be made out of it.

Which, in itself, hits exactly on the well-being of the black community as well. Amazing huh.