McKewon: Kenny Bell will be Huskers' go-to guy; can he still get loose deep?

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-kenny-bell-will-be-huskers-go-to-guy-can/article_9b27441d-8a92-59c5-ac70-c70ac207caa0.html?mode=jqm

Bell will be targeted a lot this year late in games and likely on later downs. But its worth asking whether Beck can find those chunk plays that made Bell so dangerous in 2012, especially when defenses, at least initially in 2014, will figure to cheat their coverage toward Bell in an effort to see if Sam Burtch, Taariq Allen, Jordan Westerkamp and Jamal Turner can do much about it.

Bell can still beat corners on fly routes, and he can adjust midair to below-average throws, as he did on a third-down, 38-yard touchdown catch in the 2013 Michigan State game. In spring practice, Bells savvy and speed more than once beat NUs bracket coverage to the end zone, and Armstrong throws a good deep ball once a guy is open. Id like to see Bell working in the slot as he would occasionally next to Enunwa and/or Kinnie but that depends, to some extent, on outside receivers who havent proven they can make it worth Becks while to put Bell in the slot.

NU also has to reignite its play-action game without the home run running threat of Martinez to hold linebackers and safeties for a split second. One reason the pistol formation exists is to make the play-action remain viable, and running back Ameer Abdullah has proven adept at finding the crease on outside power plays.

Whether Bell gets as many chunk plays in 2014 as he did in 2012, his third-down catch rate is heading north this year. Hes shown he can make plays on that down; the attention hell get from whoever is throwing the ball will bear that out.

I was hoping it would be a breakout year for Alonzo Moore. Also, I'm hoping Demornay Pierson-El can light up the return game....something we haven't seen much in a while. However, realizing that my hopes many times manifest as the kiss of death.....I hope they both suck.

I was hoping it would be a breakout year for Alonzo Moore. Also, I'm hoping Demornay Pierson-El can light up the return game....something we haven't seen much in a while. However, realizing that my hopes many times manifest as the kiss of death.....I hope they both suck.

I also had high hopes for Alonzo last year too. He is too athletic not to get touches. Screens and short crossing routes would benefit him greatly.

This year should be totally different. We will probably run more than in recent years. More option less zone read. All of that will make defenses play our talented WRs differently. As long as we are on schedule (down and distance) safeties will cheat up most plays. The occasional home run ball should be wide open. In obvious passing downs it will all depend on Tommy finding several WRs. If he does then the passing game will be fine. If not then Kenny will be covered and he will force throws and have a 1:1 TD to INT ratio.

The occasional home run ball should be wide open.

I hope we never need a 99 yard bomb this year, but it's nice to know that we've already got that on Tommy's resume. Maybe a couple long balls early in the season will convince safeties to stay back a little bit more and open up the run game. I'd like to see some early attempts at stretching the field deep and see how that pays off down the road after it gets established as a legitimate threat. Then Ameer's job will be easier as well.

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/7/9/5879715/kenny-bell-nebraska-interview-huskers-podcast#comments

00:29:24 - Kenny Bell Interview

Podcast with Kenny Bell covering various topics, I didn't bother listening to the whole thing but he was complaining about how hard being a student athlete is and I lost interest shortly after.

The guys one the podcast (who are annoying as hell) asked him what it's like. Sure the lead him down the road a bit, but it didn't sound like complaining to me.