Elizabeth Warren's 11 Commandments for Progressives

I've felt this way for a year or two, but I'll say it again - you've got my vote should you run for President in 2016 or 2022, Mrs. Warren. I don't disagree with a single thing on that list. I don't think that she'll run since the left is pretty well united behind Hillary at this point and Warren probably won't want to get in the way, but regardless, Warren continues to impress me with pretty much everything she does and says.

:thumbs

I don't see much on that list that any DNC candidate for President would disagree with. I think Warren would be a fine candidate but if she doesn't run in 2016 (and she won't) she'll probably be too old to run in 2022.

Raise the minimum wage so they can collect more taxes on everyone to pay for the social programs.

Don't forget it will also fuel inflation - so with the new higher salary will eventually equate to the same position relative to the new higher poverty level.

Say you earn $17k and the poverty level is $20k. Your new salary jumps to $22k, but inflation makes the poverty level go up to $25k

• Fire 1

Raise the minimum wage so they can collect more taxes on everyone to pay for the social programs.

Don't forget it will also fuel inflation - so with the new higher salary will eventually equate to the same position relative to the new higher poverty level.

Say you earn $17k and the poverty level is $20k. Your new salary jumps to $22k, but inflation makes the poverty level go up to $25k

Once again assuming full pass-through effect, no substitution effect, no employment effect and no spillover effects, they estimate that a 10% minimum wage increase raises prices by 0.3% to 2.16%, depending on the commodity.

http://ftp.iza.org/dp1072.pdf

• Fire 1

^^^^^

This is looking at things from a purely economical standpoint (which I think is the logical starting point). However, what happens when an entire industry full of high school dropouts, mediocre HS grads, and GED holders are making more than a large portion of new college graduates? There is a reaction/backlash from that segment of the population that THEY are not being compensated accordingly. As a result, you either have corporations, companies, etc. give in to this new disenfranchised population's demands (again, raising prices across the board) or you have an entire segment of the population dropping out of their entry-level/lower-level/admin asst. types of jobs to work in fast food.

Point of the manner is that none of these changes occur on their own and are done with. They have sweeping ramifications across the board.

She's running for president, and she's going to bury Hillary Clinton. She knows how to harness the passions of the activist wing of the Democratic Party in a way no one else can.

Depending on where you read it and who you believe, costs at McDonalds are estimated to go up about 10% by raising minimum wage to $10/hour and up about 25% if raised to $15/hour.

I doubt costs would go up that much. McDonalds would just roll out this bad boy and turn all those fast food workers into clients of the welfare state.

Point of the manner is that none of these changes occur on their own and are done with. They have sweeping ramifications across the board.

Sure. But I'm not the one who is certain that inflation will equal/cancel-out any increase in the minimum wage.

Uncertainty shows that you're grappling with the issue.

She's running for president, and she's going to bury Hillary Clinton. She knows how to harness the passions of the activist wing of the Democratic Party in a way no one else can.

Depending on where you read it and who you believe, costs at McDonalds are estimated to go up about 10% by raising minimum wage to $10/hour and up about 25% if raised to $15/hour.

I doubt costs would go up that much. McDonalds would just roll out this bad boy and turn all those fast food workers into clients of the welfare state.

Does this increase that is predicted include the increased pay for the shift or store managers that are probably making $15/hr and would basically be getting paid the same as a minimum wage worker they are responsible for?

Sure. But I'm not the one who is certain that inflation will equal/cancel-out any increase in the minimum wage.

Uncertainty shows that you're grappling with the issue.

I don't think any economist or social scientist is ever "sure" of policy ramifications so sure; we're all "grappling" with the issue. However, the way that such ideas are presented very rarely account for all of the dominoes that will fall as a result. This is a perfect example.

I don't think any economist or social scientist is ever "sure" of policy ramifications so sure; we're all "grappling" with the issue. However, the way that such ideas are presented very rarely account for all of the dominoes that will fall as a result. This is a perfect example.

I don't think that huKSer is an economist or a social scientist but this looks like a rather unequivocal claim:

. . . so with the new higher salary will eventually equate to the same position relative to the new higher poverty level.

I don't think that huKSer is an economist or a social scientist but this looks like a rather unequivocal claim:

. . . so with the new higher salary will eventually equate to the same position relative to the new higher poverty level.

To be honest, I don't know even know what dialect that is.

Most of those statements are simply statements that don't mean much. Most are very broad statements that help her position herself so that if anyone even tries to debate them with an actual honest and common sense debate, she will rush out with the..."you sexist/racist/homophobe that hates poor people".

She's good at politics.

• Fire 3

Most of those statements are simply statements that don't mean much. Most are very broad statements that help her position herself so that if anyone even tries to debate them with an actual honest and common sense debate, she will rush out with the..."you sexist/racist/homophobe that hates poor people".

She's good at politics.

The usual SJW mantra/mantras

She's good at politics.

The usual SJW mantra/mantras

27767121.jpg

;)

• Fire 5

Nah, I teach science. But I have lived through Johnson's inflation, Nixon's wage/price freeze, and Carter's hyper-inflation.

I understand that you cannot raise a family of four on a minimum wage salary. It is OK if you are a student or working there part time in addition to a full time job for some other family member or in my mother's case - in addition to social security. However if you have been working there full time and you STILL are at minimum wage and not received a raise or a promotion - something is wrong with the worker or the company.

Side note - before the 2006 recession, I would see my students working at McDs. After I saw my students' PARENTS working at McDs.