Elizabeth Warren's 11 Commandments for Progressives

What should we do with the disabled and mentally ill? What about the uneducated and/or those with a criminal record who also happen to be single parents? Some people are simply incapable of climbing the ladder or developing useful skills, and some have made poor choices and should not be rewarded yet there are children who need to be supported. These people need jobs and need to support themselves and their families. Otherwise they are going to be massive drains on public assistance.

There are no easy answers, but what is worse: having these folks live purely off our tax dollars, or giving them an opportunity to earn a living wage off of a real job? I would think that the conservatives who dislike welfare and love the ol' bootstrap scenario would favor the latter.

• Fire 2

But yes, if your point that a baseline for food, clothing, etc needs to be established, then I agree.

Here is another problem with this discussion. If we want every job to have a "living wage", where do we base that on? A "living wage" in Manhattan, NY is one hell of a lot more than in Minden Nebraska. Does the McDonalds owner in Minden Nebraska legally have to pay the burger flipper what it would take to live in NYC???

Let me ask this. Is there a level of minimum wage that you would not support?

Is there a level that you would?

I guess that answer is no?

Of course there's a level I would not support. I chose not to answer because I didn't think you were being serious

But yes, if your point that a baseline for food, clothing, etc needs to be established, then I agree.

Here is another problem with this discussion. If we want every job to have a "living wage", where do we base that on? A "living wage" in Manhattan, NY is one hell of a lot more than in Minden Nebraska. Does the McDonalds owner in Minden Nebraska legally have to pay the burger flipper what it would take to live in NYC???

Yes, this in an important part of the discussion. Right now the minimum wage is flat across the nation, although some states (and some cities) have enacted their own higher one.

I grew up in Minden!

BLACKBURN: What we’re hearing from moms and from school teachers is that there needs to be a lower entry level, so that you can get 16-, 17-, 18-year-olds into the process. Chuck, I remember my first job, when I was working in a retail store, down there, growing up in Laurel, Mississippi. I was making like $2.15 an hour. And I was taught how to responsibly handle those customer interactions. And I appreciated that opportunity.

I know this is going off on a tangent. But, the red part just pissed me off. Not that it was said and not that I don't agree. But, I have a 14 year old son at home that has wanted a job now for the last two summers. He has begged me to help him find a job and everywhere I think would be a great opportunity for him...."nope, can't hire you till you are 16.".

Local golf coarse mowing???? nope

Local city mowing parks and cemeteries???? nope.

Meanwhile, what does he do for me???? Drives small tractors, skid loader, mows the lawn, trims.....

He is 6'3" and 150 lbs coming out of 8th grade. Experience doing a ton of stuff around our place but because of laws it is illegal for him to actually go out and make money doing something.

I fully support getting kids involved in the work force and teaching them what it means to hold a job and what is expected of them in a job that is appropriate for them. Keeps them busy and out of trouble and they can earn some spending money or money for college. But.....nope.

OK...off my rant. Back to regularly scheduled programing.

BLACKBURN: What we’re hearing from moms and from school teachers is that there needs to be a lower entry level, so that you can get 16-, 17-, 18-year-olds into the process. Chuck, I remember my first job, when I was working in a retail store, down there, growing up in Laurel, Mississippi. I was making like $2.15 an hour. And I was taught how to responsibly handle those customer interactions. And I appreciated that opportunity.

I know this is going off on a tangent. But, the red part just pissed me off. Not that it was said and not that I don't agree. But, I have a 14 year old son at home that has wanted a job now for the last two summers. He has begged me to help him find a job and everywhere I think would be a great opportunity for him...."nope, can't hire you till you are 16.".

Meanwhile, what does he do for me???? Drives small tractors, skid loader, mows the lawn, trims.....

He is 6'3" and 150 lbs coming out of 8th grade. Experience doing a ton of stuff around our place but because of laws it is illegal for him to actually go out and make money doing something.

I fully support getting kids involved in the work force and teaching them what it means to hold a job and what is expected of them. Keeps them busy and out of trouble and they can earn some spending money or money for college. But.....nope.

i worked at mcdonalds when i was 15. i felt like a millionaire.

I fully support getting kids involved in the work force and teaching them what it means to hold a job and what is expected of them in a job that is appropriate for them. Keeps them busy and out of trouble and they can earn some spending money or money for college. But.....nope.

Child labor laws are a bitch

Let me ask this. Is there a level of minimum wage that you would not support?

Is there a level that you would?

I guess that answer is no?

Of course there's a level I would not support. I chose not to answer because I didn't think you were being serious

I was serious because I honestly have never had a discussion with a liberal that didn't support what ever minimum wage was proposed.

To answer your question to me, I support a minimum wage already. We just disagree with the purpose of the minimum wage jobs and what that should be.

Child labor laws are a bitch

I fully understand the reason for child labor laws and support that. But, there should be ways for kids like mine to actually do something other than sit at home.

Again, I don't want to take this thread down that bunny trail. Just venting.

Yes, this in an important part of the discussion. Right now the minimum wage is flat across the nation, although some states (and some cities) have enacted their own higher one.

And, I have no problem with that. Seattle, I believe, is the highest at $15 per hour.

So, why not have the national minimum at a low minimum level that might be appropriate in some areas and then have local states and municipalities vote in higher ones if that is what is appropriate for that area?

It seems to me that people like Warren are pushing the other way making the national minimum wage across the board what is appropriate in higher cost of living areas.

Why???? It gets back to my first comments. It is a great talking point where it solidifies a voting base around Warren and anyone who attempts to oppose it can politically be knocked down as "hating the poor".

I was serious because I honestly have never had a discussion with a liberal that didn't support what ever minimum wage was proposed.

To answer your question to me, I support a minimum wage already. We just disagree with the purpose of the minimum wage jobs and what that should be.

I think we could start by getting it somewhere in line with where it historically was. I think that puts it around $11/hr. I'd probably support up to $15/hr, but with decreasing support past $12.