McKewon picks West Division winner, (hint) it's not Nebraska

Well, this certainly makes me fired up for the season! haha :sarcasm

Sam, let's focus on articles about HOW we win the division -- not why we won't. hahaha

Still my favorite writer though.

I'd prefer truthful articles myself. Everyone knows what Nebraska has to do to be successful. The devil is in the details with this squad.

Its friggin Iowa.

We are friggin NU. Time to get mean and nasty on both sides of the ball. Make it a street fight for 4 quarters and beat teams so bad this year, they are already dreading having to face us again next year.

anchorman2tease2__index.jpg

Ron Burgundy approves of these tactics.

Iowa? Iowa? I don't want to be the MSU guy from last year, but Iowa? Iowa?

Wisconsin has recent history of getting the job done and I am not going against that. Then Nebraska has the highest ceiling, but has to get out of their own way. Northwestern has Mark and that is good enough for me. Then there is Iowa. This is just odd to me. I get that they have just about the easiest schedule in the entire world, but come on. Iowa?

Iowa probably has the best QB in the division, good OLs and DLs, as well the most advantageous/easiest schedule out there. It's not a reach to say that we lose to MSU and beat Iowa, yet they win the division. And I'm not chalking up the game in IC as win, not until I see more from both teams.

Wisconsin has recent history of getting the job done and I am not going against that. Then Nebraska has the highest ceiling, but has to get out of their own way. Northwestern has Mark and that is good enough for me. Then there is Iowa. This is just odd to me. I get that they have just about the easiest schedule in the entire world, but come on. Iowa?

Iowa probably has the best QB in the division, good OLs and DLs, as well the most advantageous/easiest schedule out there. It's not a reach to say that we lose to MSU and beat Iowa, yet they win the division. And I'm not chalking up the game in IC as win, not until I see more from both teams.

Iowa also has Greg Davis.

• Fire 1

Who has a pretty good track record against Nebraska.

I can't really disagree although I hope he's wrong

In case you guys can't tell, I'm trying to temper my expectations for this season so that I don't get let down yet again

I do this as well but it's not so much to avoid being let down, it's so I don't get too emotionally invested. There used to be times that Husker losses would fester and bother me for days. Now, I'm over it shortly after the game finishes.

• Fire 1

Who has a pretty good track record against Nebraska.

His offenses averaged 20 points against NU, mostly while having vastly superior talent. With Iowa, his offense has averaged 22.5 PPG, 241 YPG, 3.1 YPR, and 3.8 YPP against us. With Texas, he averaged 16.5 PPG, 236 YPG, 2.5 YPR, and 4.0 YPP. In all 4 meetings against Bo's defense, Davis' offense has averaged 19.7 PPG, 238 YPG, 2.8 YPR, and 3.9 YPP.

If you want to argue he's a good OC, you will be the only person I've ever seen do so, outside of Mac Brown.

His offenses averaged 20 points against NU, mostly while having vastly superior talent. With Iowa, his offense has averaged 22.5 PPG, 241 YPG, 3.1 YPR, and 3.8 YPP against us.

If you want to argue he's a good OC, you will be the only person I've ever seen do so, outside of Mac Brown.

Against Iowa during that period, our offense has average 15 points. Nod to Iowa in regards to offensive production.

His offenses averaged 20 points against NU, mostly while having vastly superior talent. With Iowa, his offense has averaged 22.5 PPG, 241 YPG, 3.1 YPR, and 3.8 YPP against us.

Against Iowa during that period, our offense has average 15 points. Nod to Iowa in regards to offensive production.

Oh, I'd agree. Our offense has gone into a shell against Iowa. You can somewhat blame weather conditions in 2012, but 2011 and for sure 2013, we should have had more success.

I'd argue Davis is probably the second worst OC in the division, and at least in the bottom 3.

I'm picking Wisconsin at this point. Iowa has a laughably favorable schedule, but I think they're going to be the third, if not 4th best team in the West this year. I'll go:

1. Wisconsin 10-2 (7-1)

2. Nebraska 9-3 (5-3)

3. Iowa 8-4 (5-3)

Can I ask why? I don't get why people are thinking Wisconsin isn't going to lay an egg this year.

Sure. Favorable schedule, they're going to have an awesome running game, as usual, and Iowa's not going to win the division.

• Fire 1

Oh, I'd agree. Our offense has gone into a shell against Iowa. You can somewhat blame weather conditions in 2012, but 2011 and for sure 2013, we should have had more success.

I'd argue Davis is probably the second worst OC in the division, and at least in the bottom 3.

I think you're placing too much weight on his last years at Texas where their success (or lack of) is far more tied to the politics within the program than the actual product on the field. The fact that he did what he did over the decade before that can't be ignored though. I think he's a pretty solid coach, certainly in the top half when you look at some of the OCs in the B1G. Not exactly a notable bunch.

It's still too early to tell how successful he will be at Iowa I think. Give it another year.