Shatel: Can Pelini, Huskers turn purr into growl?

The third-place pick speaks volumes, though. Wisconsin and Iowa aren’t loaded with more talent than NU. What it says is Big Ten folks have seen enough not to trust Pelini, even with a better defense, a new quarterback and a bowl win over Georgia.

Nebraska football is an afterthought these days, relevant for being irrelevant. But you knew that. You’ve been sledgehammered over the head with that narrative.

Ouch.

Yeah that looks like great journalism doesn't it. I always forget that the OWH tries to get a lot of reader From Iowa as well. Maybe this is why he has shifted gears.

And, NuPolo I am not talking about when we were kicking ass, 20 years ago. I am talking about five years ago to now

The third-place pick speaks volumes, though. Wisconsin and Iowa aren’t loaded with more talent than NU. What it says is Big Ten folks have seen enough not to trust Pelini, even with a better defense, a new quarterback and a bowl win over Georgia.[/size]

Nebraska football is an afterthought these days, relevant for being irrelevant. But you knew that. You’ve been sledgehammered over the head with that narrative.

Ouch.

Yeah that looks like great journalism doesn't it. I always forget that the OWH tries to get a lot of reader From Iowa as well. Maybe this is why he has shifted gears.

And, NuPolo I am not talking about when we were kicking ass, 20 years ago. I am talking about five years ago to now

There were reasons to be optimistic five years ago, more so than now especially concerning the staff I'd contend.

Ugh... I took a break for about a week and its the same damn conversation...

Back to the actual point of the post...

I am enraged with the pick for 3rd. But it's freakin' preseason, this isn't the first time, and it won't be the last time a bunch of writer's who have never played football in their lifetime have voted against our beloved Cornhuskers. If it were up to those writers, we wouldn't be National Champions in 1997.

My prediction?:

Any and All preseason posts will all go like this:

These people think Nebraska will have a good season...

Next post: "Why, Bo Pelini is our coach?!?" Someone will defend, then it'll turn into that conversation again....

These people have no faith in Nebraska having a good season:

Next post: "Of course, Bo Pelini is our coach...." Someone will defend, then it'll turn into that conversation again...

on and on...

remeniscence.gif

• Fire 1

Shatel is just Butt hurt, because he was positive he knew what was going to happen in Pelinis future and he wasn't just wrong he was dead wrong. I think that if Pelini would have a 6 maybe even 7 win season he will be gone. I really Do not think that will happen, but it could. I hope he exceeds everyones expectations and for some it shouldn't be to hard, but if DONU wants to hold on to the recruits that we are hauling in then we need Pelini to succeed.

Recently I have gone from really looking forward to Shatels column on Sunday morning to really not giving two cents about what he has to say. He writes depressing articles all of the time now and it is irritating. Anyway, I think we will be fine and turn the burning of lack of respect in the players bellies to kicking some ass on the field

Why does EVERYTHING have to be endlessly positive? That is not what reporting is about.

Sounds like his issue is, why does EVERYTHING have to be endlessly negative?

On paper, Nebraska looks like the most talented team in the West division, but they also have the hardest schedule (loaded comment I know). We also have a defense that seems primed for a break-out year, with a potential top 10 draft pick, but needs to prove it. On offense, we have an All-American, Heisman candidate RB, an inexperienced, young OL (with some a salt, experienced left side), and, for the first time in three years, a guaranteed new starting QB coming into the season. This year ranges from a break out to fall down year, with any result possible.

Nebraska is the Wild Card in the West (copyright and trademark pending). #RideOrDie

On paper yes, but then look at the quote Carl quotes above. There's nearly a consensus that it ain't the players holding us back
On offense, it has been a concern that this staff likes being too "multiple", jack of all trades, master of none. However, it has been reported during spring and mentioned again today at Big Ten Media Days, that this staff is running less plays in practice in order to be great at those they do run.

On defense, it has been an issue of not adapting or moving to a scheme that works. However, we heard the reports of that happening during the NW game. Coaches asked the players what style of play would they succeed in, they made the adjustments, and the defense looked much improved for the rest of the game, carrying over for much of the remaining season.

Some of what I see is a young staff making mistakes and trying to win games with what they predetermine as the best scheme, regardless of fit of players or execution (square peg, round hole). Thus, I think it is a fair evaluation of this staff to say they have contributed to several loses each year. However, I also look at the changes in philosophy on offense and defense from last year and this spring as valuable growth to this team and makes it hard for me to expect the same mistakes.

Yes Tom RR I am sick of everything surrounding the program being so negative. Coming off a nine win season here is like coming off a 4 win season. Christ there are people that still think Callaclown could have gotten it done here after he went 5-6. Crazy!!

I wonder what you'll be saying when Pelini moves on?

Yes Tom RR I am sick of everything surrounding the program being so negative. Coming off a nine win season here is like coming off a 4 win season. Christ there are people that still think Callaclown could have gotten it done here after he went 5-6. Crazy!!

I wonder what you'll be saying when Pelini moves on?

The Bill Callahan excuse is bigger than Bo, man.

I just wanna get excited about my Huskers again, like it's 2005 or 2008 or 2009. Yeah, 2005, the height of the Callahan years, how crazy is that?

Bo's (sometime) dourness already puts enough of a damper on that. No further dampening required.

I understood the "Hey let's be realistic" in the first two years of Bo's tenure, but at this point, let's not shy from dreaming big. If Bo's got what it takes, this'll be the talent-laden squad he shows that with. If not, we could be in that ugly place called Iowa territory for a little while, but why resign ourselves to it?

Recently I have gone from really looking forward to Shatels column on Sunday morning to really not giving two cents about what he has to say. He writes depressing articles all of the time now and it is irritating. Anyway, I think we will be fine and turn the burning of lack of respect in the players bellies to kicking some ass on the field

Why does EVERYTHING have to be endlessly positive? That is not what reporting is about.

Reporting and a sports writers opinion column are two different things.