The Global Warming Pause

LINK

The largest portion of U.S. debt, 68 cents for every dollar or about $10 trillion, is owned by individual investors, corporations, state and local governments and, yes, even foreign governments such as China that hold Treasury bills, notes and bonds.

Foreign governments hold about 46 percent of all U.S. debt held by the public, more than $4.5 trillion. The largest foreign holder of U.S. debt is China, which owns more about $1.2 trillion in bills, notes and bonds, according to the Treasury.

In total, China owns about 8 percent of publicly held U.S. debt. Of all the holders of U.S. debt China is the third-largest, behind only the Social Security Trust Fund's holdings of nearly $3 trillion and the Federal Reserve's nearly $2 trillion holdings in Treasury investments, purchased as part of its quantitative easing program to boost the economy.

Hmmm...I'll even post a link possibly contradicting what I'm saying above.

FORBES

However, the last part of the article hits home.

“The US-China relationship is fast becoming the most important bilateral relationship for both countries, if it isn’t already,” Frisbie said in a statement on Wednesday. “Its importance is only going to grow. We need to expand our engagement. Importantly, we need to get smarter about China.”

Congressmen Charles Boustany (R-LA) and Rick Larsen (D-WA), co-chairs of the Congressional US-China Working Group, each gave brief remarks. “There is much to be gained in both economic and strategic terms if we get the relationship right, but economic and strategic difficulties lie ahead if we do not,” Larsen said.

So, let me rephrase my concerns. It's pretty difficult to put pressure on a country who we have major trade agreements with which...in turn...makes them the largest foreign holder of our debt.

The discussion continues - this on the global warming 'pause' . I don't think I've seen a discussion on 'the pause' so thought I'd start one. Feel free to add to these articles with your comments, rebuttals one way or another and scientific factoids .

This debate will continue until we are covered up wt ocean water in the Mid West or until we are covered again by glacier activity creeping down from S. Dak. :ahhhhhhhh

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/08/06/nasa-climate-scientist-explains-15-year-global-warming-hiatus/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2014/08/07/global-warming-pause-puts-crisis-in-perspective/

http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2014/07/updated-list-of-29-excuses-for-18-year.html

Sorry TGH. Though douse protest too much. Global warming is not our problem and our worry over it is quite simply a band of idiots tilting at wind mills. Not exactly sure but I've heard the world may be warming at a rate of 1.6 degrees every 10 years. So what? At that rate a hundred years from now South Dakota will have a summer with ONE day over 100 degrees. I'll, basically, we both, will be long dead and our ancestors will have a summer like I enjoyed as a boy and we didn't have air conditioning in our house until I was 16 and then it was a window unit. We've got more things to worry about now than this SILLY cause. I can get health care in several Caribbean countries of equal quality as and at half the cost of here in the US. We just let several people infected with Ebola into this country and then spread them out all over the country (There's one in Omaha). The Middle East is a money pit that has been a war zone for 2000 years. Heart disease kills 600,000 Americans a year and yet we spend in a week of bombing ISIS more than we do on research to find a cure, and you can say that about any number of diseases that plague us. Save the Planet by recycling, fine, I'm as green as the next guy but I also pay to have my garbage picked up. I sort my garbage and do it without compensation all while the garbage company is being paid for the aluminum, cardboard, plastic, glass and who knows what else they get from me for free and I pay them to pick it up. Would I or should I care about Global Warming? Nope. It isn't my problem nor will it be a problem for my kids, their kids, or their kids and on and on. What we better worry about is one of these Moslem idiots setting off a nuclear bomb somewhere in the world or an Ebola outbreak somewhere here in the US.

T_O_B

Sorry TGH. Though douse protest too much. Global warming is not our problem and our worry over it is quite simply a band of idiots tilting at wind mills. Not exactly sure but I've heard the world may be warming at a rate of 1.6 degrees every 10 years. So what? At that rate a hundred years from now South Dakota will have a summer with ONE day over 100 degrees. I'll, basically, we both, will be long dead and our ancestors will have a summer like I enjoyed as a boy and we didn't have air conditioning in our house until I was 16 and then it was a window unit. We've got more things to worry about now than this SILLY cause. I can get health care in several Caribbean countries of equal quality as and at half the cost of here in the US. We just let several people infected with Ebola into this country and then spread them out all over the country (There's one in Omaha). The Middle East is a money pit that has been a war zone for 2000 years. Heart disease kills 600,000 Americans a year and yet we spend in a week of bombing ISIS more than we do on research to find a cure, and you can say that about any number of diseases that plague us. Save the Planet by recycling, fine, I'm as green as the next guy but I also pay to have my garbage picked up. I sort my garbage and do it without compensation all while the garbage company is being paid for the aluminum, cardboard, plastic, glass and who knows what else they get from me for free and I pay them to pick it up. Would I or should I care about Global Warming? Nope. It isn't my problem nor will it be a problem for my kids, their kids, or their kids and on and on. What we better worry about is one of these Moslem idiots setting off a nuclear bomb somewhere in the world or an Ebola outbreak somewhere here in the US.

T_O_B

If nothing else, your post gives me good reason to post my favorite gif.

P21RO.gif

• Fire 2

T_O_B

If nothing else, your post gives me good reason to post my favorite gif.

P21RO.gif

Silly boy.

T_O_B

Use Google Scholar to see just how absurd your post was regarding the effects of a 0.16 degree increase per year. It's one of those times when there's not any point in posting anything else since the information is right there, and it's so voluminous that you'd be better off punching a few keys and seeing for yourself.

• Fire 1

TO your latter logic is like having a flat tire and a bad coolant leak, but only fixing the tire before you go on a road trip. Sure the tire is the most immediate threat but you don't ignore the coolant just because it's not going to affect you till you're down the road a ways.

• Fire 1

Use Google Scholar to see just how absurd your post was regarding the effects of a 0.16 degree increase per year. It's one of those times when there's not any point in posting anything else since the information is right there, and it's so voluminous that you'd be better off punching a few keys and seeing for yourself.

Still not convinced Ebyl. After reading through several sites on this subject at Google Scholar I find that no sources of the data aresited in the articles and that the arguments are peppered with the words, "maybe, could, possibly, ect., ect...," and that the one

thing I do agree with is that what they predict will happen, won't happen for 150 to 200 years if it happens at all.

I suggest you take a look at:

Hot Talk, Cold Science

Global Warming’s Unfinished Debate

S. Fred Singer (Author), Frederick Seitz (Foreword)

S. Fred Singer is a distinguished astrophysicist who has taken a hard, scientific look at the evidence. In this book, Dr. Singer explores the inaccuracies in historical climate data, the limitations of attempting to model climate on computers, solar variability and its impact on climate, the effects of clouds, ocean

currents, and sea levels on global climate, and factors that could mitigate any human impacts on world climate.

Singer’s masterful analysis decisively shows that the pessimistic, and often alarming, global warming scenarios depicted in the media have no scientific basis.

In fact, he finds that many aspects of any global warming, such as a longer growing season for food and a reduced need to use fossil fuels for heating, would actually have a positive impact on the human race. Further, Singer notes how many proposed “solutions” to the global warming “crisis” (like “carbon” taxes) would

have severe consequences for economically disadvantaged groups and nations.

Hot Talk, Cold Science is essential reading for anyone who wants to be fully informed about the global warming debate.

When South Dakota has a summer with only one day when the temp exceeds 90 degrees I find it very hard to think that a scholar who is bemoaning the effects of

global warming is doing anything other than trying to preserve his government grant. We have a lot of things to worry about in this world of ours and global

warming doesn't even make the top ten list.

T_O_B

Again, holy sh#t...

For one, when you copy someone elses review of a book, you might want to put it in quotes, or something else that offsets it, so it doesn't look like you're trying to pass off someone else's professional writing as your own. Second, Dr. Singer is outspoken against the health risks of secondhand smoke...lulz. I doubt I need to say more about that. Three, the book was written in 1997 (I think revised in 2001?)...hopefully you understand a lot has changed/been added in 15 or more years. And while Dr. Singer has published some papers on this topic, he seems far more interested in writing books about it. Yes, no monetary motive there whatsoever...

As for losing funding if global warming is debunked, that is utter bullsh#t. The ability to understand, model, and predict (when appropriate) past, current, and future global climates is of serious interest in many areas. There would be no lack of funding for anyone doing research in that area, even if it wasn't specifically linked to global warming anymore. So that argument is complete nonsense and only shows a lack of understanding about the current playing field of scientific discussion.

And once again, there are far, far more consequences to the average global temperature rising than just hotter summers in South Dakota. And even if they're not as immediate as your numbers, it's still a real issue that needs to be worked on. This isn't a few scientists, but a global consensus of virtually everyone working in the related fields. You can't buy that many people off, there's no conspiracy. And if you could buy that much research, the oil companies would have already done it to promote their interests. But they haven't.

If you truly believe the main consequence for discussion is potential discomfort due to hotter summers in South Dakota (or anywhere, really), then there's no point in continuing this discussion. I will leave you to your own thoughts.

• Fire 3