The Global Warming Pause

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/india-china-ignore-un-climate-change-summit/article1-1267288.aspx

Five years after over 150 heads of state cobbled up a rickety climate deal that fell through, the one-day UN Climate Summit is another attempt of rich nations to push India and China – responsible for one-third of total carbon emissions in 2013 – to accept some strong measures to check global warming.

But the two Asian giants are not willing to take the bait unless the developed world anchored by the United States and the European Union offers substantial incentives to developing nations for adopting a cleaner growth trajectory, cutting down on emissions.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/india-china-ignore-un-climate-change-summit/article1-1267288.aspx

Five years after over 150 heads of state cobbled up a rickety climate deal that fell through, the one-day UN Climate Summit is another attempt of rich nations to push India and China – responsible for one-third of total carbon emissions in 2013 – to accept some strong measures to check global warming.

But the two Asian giants are not willing to take the bait unless the developed world anchored by the United States and the European Union offers substantial incentives to developing nations for adopting a cleaner growth trajectory, cutting down on emissions.

This crap pisses me off.

These few countries are the worst polluters in the world. They sit back and make cheap crap and dump it into other economies around the world who do care about the environment because those countries manufacturers can't produce as cheaply as these countries.

Here is what I would love to see happen. I would love for the developed countries to put an import ban on any products manufactured in these countries unless they agree to bring their environmental laws up to our standards.

We put embargoes an sanctions on countries all the time for military or civil rights issues. Why is this any different?

Instead, these piece of crap countries want us to fork over even more money to them just for simply doing what they should already be doing.

Unfortunately, this is where our debt that is being held by countries like China screws us. It's pretty dang difficult to get tough with a country holding so much of your debt.

So......instead.....what will happen is these environmental groups will need something to feel good about so they will push for more stringent regulations in the US and China and Indonesia will keep pumping out the crap both in products and pollution.

^^^I think that the counter-argument from someone like the Chinese would go something like "you (the U.S.) built up your country/economy through nearly a century of dirty industry/mining/manufacturing/etc. Now you're trying to pull up the ladder behind you and deny us that same economic advantage."

And, I would say....total friggen BS.

We didn't build our country BECAUSE we were polluting and the rest of the world wasn't. We built our country because our economy was going strong (mostly after WWII) when the rest of the world's economies were stagnant. All manufacturers in the world polluted like we did because nobody knew any better. NOW, the developing countries have cut way back on polluting and put major regulations on their industries. China and the rest of the pacific rim hasn't done that.

They can still build their economies and cut back on emissions at the same time.

^^^I think that the counter-argument from someone like the Chinese would go something like "you (the U.S.) built up your country/economy through nearly a century of dirty industry/mining/manufacturing/etc. Now you're trying to pull up the ladder behind you and deny us that same economic advantage."

We didn't build our country BECAUSE we were polluting and the rest of the world wasn't. We built our country because our economy was going strong (mostly after WWII) when the rest of the world's economies were stagnant. All manufacturers in the world polluted like we did because nobody knew any better. NOW, the developing countries have cut way back on polluting and put major regulations on their industries. China and the rest of the pacific rim hasn't done that.

They can still build their economies and cut back on emissions at the same time.

What this boils down to is, every piece of crap country around the world knows the routine. If we want them to do something, we have to fork out billions of dollars to them and we get very little in return.

I agree that it's BS but I'd imagine that the perspective of Chinese businessmen might very well be different.

Except that argument starts to fall apart in the face of alternative energy. Wind, solar, recycled garbage, hydroelectric - these weren't available during the Industrial Revolution. They are now, and it's not too much to ask these countries to utilize these sources to the fullest extent possible rather than pitch the planet into an unsustainable environmental decline.

• Fire 1

Except that argument starts to fall apart in the face of alternative energy. Wind, solar, recycled garbage, hydroelectric - these weren't available during the Industrial Revolution. They are now, and it's not too much to ask these countries to utilize these sources to the fullest extent possible rather than pitch the planet into an unsustainable environmental decline.

Agreed.