The Global Warming Pause

This is the type of thing that climate change brings. Storms will be fiercer/more frequent in some areas. Droughts will last longer in others.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/23/7047533/sao-paulo-drought-water-crisis-brazil-election

Is it? While I don't have the time to read in depth on the subject everything I've ever read has always said that is pretty hard to definitively pin the weather on climate change. I understand why, since there are hundred if not millions of variables when it comes to the weather, but one of the links in the article seems to imply that deforestation may be the bigger culprit in this instance.

This is the type of thing that climate change brings. Storms will be fiercer/more frequent in some areas. Droughts will last longer in others.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/23/7047533/sao-paulo-drought-water-crisis-brazil-election

Is it? While I don't have the time to read in depth on the subject everything I've ever read has always said that is pretty hard to definitively pin the weather on climate change. I understand why, since there are hundred if not millions of variables when it comes to the weather, but one of the links in the article seems to imply that deforestation may be the bigger culprit in this instance.

Wouldn't this be an effect of man?

• 2 weeks later...

http://m.livescience.com/48284-life-discovered-in-deep-sea-rocks.html

Towering rocks at the bottom of the ocean hold a surprising secret: Life.

These rocks, near natural methane seeps on the seafloor, are home to methane-munching microbes, new research finds. What's more, it appears these tiny rock-dwellers may chow down on enough methane to effect global levels of the gas, which can contribute to climate change.

"We've recognized for awhile that the deep ocean is a sink for methane, but primarily it has been thought that it was only in the sediment," said study researcher Jeffrey Marlow, a graduate student at Caltech. "The fact that it appears to be active in the rocks itself sort of redistributes where that methane is going."

For some reason I was having a problem wrapping my brain around this concept - in a nutshell what is this article telling us? Brain dead in Tulsa today (must be due to no more day light savings time - hey maybe that is the cause of MMGW!! :sarcasm )

• 2 weeks later...

Global warming going wild in SD. Average temperature for the next 5 days... 12.

T_O_B

That's called weather. A cold day in the winter proves that global warming doesn't exist in the same way that night proves the sun doesn't exist.

(Paraphrased from someone, but I don't remember who)

• Fire 2

T_O_B

That's called weather. A cold day in the winter proves that global warming doesn't exist in the same way that night proves the sun doesn't exist.

Its still fall.

T_O_B

Its still fall.

So what? If it is 60 in January for a day are you going to believe in global warming?

T_O_B

Its still fall.

So what? If it is 60 in January for a day are you going to believe in global warming?

It was 65 last December and I was driving around with my t-tops off in Lincoln Nebraska, global warming is real.

T_O_B

Its still fall.

It was 65 last December and I was driving around with my t-tops off in Lincoln Nebraska, global warming is real.

You two just don't understand. I'm all for global warming, I just don't see it as a real problem. Its been too cool in summer and too cold in winter. The older I get the harder it is for me to warm up. We have just entered into the time of year when we have months and months when the only way to warm up my feet is to get into a hot tub or head for Florida.

As I say this with my tounge planted firmly in my cheek I remain the constant burr under your saddle...

T_O_B

My statement was tongue in cheek. Short term temperature swings prove nothing.

If you don't see a problem with global warming, then you need to look at the macro level not the micro of you're immediate surroundings.

OMG what are you worried about? A 1.8 degree climb in 100 years?

T_O_B

Its still fall.

Well if it happens in a hundred years it will basically be 62 and if either of us is alive we probably won't notice and we'll be thankful for a nice day in January.

T_O_B

My statement was tongue in cheek. Short term temperature swings prove nothing.

If you don't see a problem with global warming, then you need to look at the macro level not the micro of you're immediate surroundings.

At a rate of 1.8 degrees every 100 years you and I will be long dead before this is a problem of any consequence. I'd rather see research grants go to scientists who can actually solve a problem in the next 20/30 years. Ebola, cancer, aids or heart disease which kills more of us than most of the rest of them combined. Another solvable problem is the one we have with radical Muslims and all the other terrorists out there who would rather kill us than not. War because you give your God a different name than I do, what a worthless cause.

Wake up ZR and go after something you can do something about rather than something that may effect your great, great, great, great grand children. They won't even know your name.

T_O_B