Rick Perry indicted on two felony counts

I guess I am just a little more against people who think drinking and driving is ok, and considering she is supposed to be in charge of the department that is supposed to be the public integrity unit..... How can anyone justify having a unit ran by someone who obviously has a real integrity issue.

Does someone who gets a speeding ticket have integrity issues?

From reading a few articles it sounds like the devil in the details are what got the charges, and might actually convict. The order of actions is very important. As Perry did not have the authority to remove her from office (which in all honesty was partisan politics to begin with) so he made a threat to defund her department if she did not resign. By attaching conditions to a veto, that had a very personal target, it can be easy to see how this would be views as coercion, which is one of the two charges. It amounts to little more than blackmail with a Gov threatening to basically make her coworkers unemployed, unless she resigned.

It's strange to me that he would be indicted by a grand jury if there was nothing at all to the case. For myself, I reserve judgement until more facts come to light or we have a verdict.

It's strange to me that he would be indicted by a grand jury if there was nothing at all to the case. For myself, I reserve judgement until more facts come to light or we have a verdict.

From what I've seen (which isn't much, admittedly) there is probably enough to indict but I'd be somewhat surprised if there is enough to convict.

I guess I am just a little more against people who think drinking and driving is ok, and considering she is supposed to be in charge of the department that is supposed to be the public integrity unit..... How can anyone justify having a unit ran by someone who obviously has a real integrity issue.

So, if someone comes over to your house to watch a football game and they have a few beers then, get go home and get stopped and arrested and blow maybe .1, they all of a sudden have integrity issues?

They did something against the law and they obviously made a mistake putting themselves in that position, but we automatically question their integrity then and their morality?

Not normally. I think we normally see a difference between a true integrity/ethics issue than a plain poor judgement decision (of course some poor judgement decisions also violate ethics/integrity while others are just plain stupid/thoughtless ). The DA used bad judgement when she decided to drive while tipsy. If the tipsy condition was to continue in her job and become a regular issue that affected performance then all of the appropriate actions should be taken (those actions may be different in the public sector than private) - counseling, rehap, and if needed up to dismissal. But dismissal normally isn't the 1st option. Which appears to be the Rick Perry nuclear option of choice. So, as more info comes out on Perry's actions, he may have used poor judgement in following up to the DA's poor judgement. It is now up to the court case to determine if Perry's poor judgement rises up to the criminal level.

Does someone who gets a speeding ticket have integrity issues?

No - unless you are the cop enforcing the speeding limit on everyone else and you are caught speeding off duty. Kind of like a preacher, preaching against a particular sin and doing it himself - that is an integrity issue. Speeding is typically a poor judgement issue - you place others in harms way or yourself in harm harms way by going to fast for the conditions or by breaking the speed laws. Many excuses why we speed but they all fall flat if someone is hurt by it or we have to explain to our wife why we just got that $150 ticket.

It only adds to the already circus-like proceedings down there. I like how the article reads like a fifth-grader wrote it. And the links at the bottom of the page "Liberal Hypocrisy Defines Mary Burke Candidacy" point to an equally questionable agenda on the part of "mediatrackers.org"

The article itself says political activity on the part of Grand Jury members is not illegal. Is it questionable? Absolutely - but this is Texas. What isn't questionable in Texas?

Let's be real. Perry did something he shouldn't have. It would be worse if he wasn't indicted than if he was. He's not going to face any kind of long-lasting trouble over this. Odds are pretty good that the decision-maker(s) in this thing will be Republican-leaning in their political views. If we recused everyone but the Independents in this case there'd be five people in the entire state of Texas able to sit in judgment here, and two of them would be illegals from Guatemala.

• Fire 2

It only adds to the already circus-like proceedings down there. I like how the article reads like a fifth-grader wrote it. And the links at the bottom of the page "Liberal Hypocrisy Defines Mary Burke Candidacy" point to an equally questionable agenda on the part of "mediatrackers.org"

The article itself says political activity on the part of Grand Jury members is not illegal. Is it questionable? Absolutely - but this is Texas. What isn't questionable in Texas?

Let's be real. Perry did something he shouldn't have. It would be worse if he wasn't indicted than if he was. He's not going to face any kind of long-lasting trouble over this. Odds are pretty good that the decision-maker(s) in this thing will be Republican-leaning in their political views. If we recused everyone but the Independents in this case there'd be five people in the entire state of Texas able to sit in judgment here, and two of them would be illegals from Guatemala.

Bold: :thumbs the rest - I agree - we'll just wait and see how the Perry machine pulls the rabbit out of the hat and gets out of this :snacks:

So, if someone comes over to your house to watch a football game and they have a few beers then, get go home and get stopped and arrested and blow maybe .1, they all of a sudden have integrity issues?

They did something against the law and they obviously made a mistake putting themselves in that position, but we automatically question their integrity then and their morality?

Some reason my ipad wouldn't ever let me respond to this thread, but anyways. While I think the .08 number is a terrible indicator of a persons ability to properly operate a vehicle, I am fairly certain anything over .15 is a good indicator that you shouldn't be operating a car and therefore are putting other peoples lives in jeopardy for no good reason. I am all for stripping government officials of their positions who have been found guilty of certain crimes, and a DUI/DWI is something I think should be included in that. As far as BRB comment, If they are drinking a few beers over the course of a football game there is almost no way they will blow a .1 on their way home, outside of that yes if someone leaves my house and is not capable of driving I will lose some respect for their integrity because I have asked them if they are ok to drive at least once. What happens if she would have killed someone else, which blowing almost three times the legal limit is a possibility. She took a chance with every other person on the road, and could have just as easily missed a stop sign and killed a car full of people because she wanted to drink vodka and drive around, and that is before she was arrested. I don't get how anyone can try and justify that she is some upstanding person, after the video surfaced and the facts of the case are known. She is a f%&k*ing District attorney, who is supposed to be putting criminals away for these crimes, and yet she is the one who broke them. Sorry if I think that somehow that affects her ability to run and control a public integrity unit.

Secondly, the fact he used funding to control another entity is neither out of the ordinary or without precedence. It is easy enough to find just looking at Nebraska seat belt laws, and the national drinking age that all the states somehow agreed upon. Both of those were created with the federal government told states who didn't want to comply that they would have their federal funding reduced or completely shut off. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act .

No, the persecution of poor Rick Perry, the unjustly accused governor of Texas. In a bit of by play with The Clinton Guy Shocked, Noonan demonstrates for the young people watching at home the kind of perfect technique that gets people invited back on these shows, over and over again.

First, the serve:

NOONAN: I think, yes, it was local Democratic overreach. It's just a dumb case. I don't think it should have been brought. Naturally he looks like someone who is...

Then, the volley:

STEPHANOPOULOS: But the prosecutor is a former Republican, I think.

Then, the backhand winner down the line!

NOONAN: That may be. But when you look at this case, it just looks crazy.

It's the "that may be" that makes it art. Everything she said in her first statement was provably, demonstrably, and hilariously wrong. Once corrected, however gently -- Don't think, George. Know. -- she goes blithely along with "that may be" filling in for the phrase "how it actually is in the world beyond the Bombay bottles," and into how the case "looks." Are the canaries screaming, Clarice?

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/The_Gobshites_Get_Terrified?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_82808745

• Fire 2

No, the persecution of poor Rick Perry, the unjustly accused governor of Texas. In a bit of by play with The Clinton Guy Shocked, Noonan demonstrates for the young people watching at home the kind of perfect technique that gets people invited back on these shows, over and over again.

First, the serve:

NOONAN: I think, yes, it was local Democratic overreach. It's just a dumb case. I don't think it should have been brought. Naturally he looks like someone who is...

Then, the volley:

STEPHANOPOULOS: But the prosecutor is a former Republican, I think.

Then, the backhand winner down the line!

NOONAN: That may be. But when you look at this case, it just looks crazy.

It's the "that may be" that makes it art. Everything she said in her first statement was provably, demonstrably, and hilariously wrong. Once corrected, however gently -- Don't think, George. Know. -- she goes blithely along with "that may be" filling in for the phrase "how it actually is in the world beyond the Bombay bottles," and into how the case "looks." Are the canaries screaming, Clarice?

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/The_Gobshites_Get_Terrified?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_82808745

And that is why I love the writing style of Esquire. :thumbs: