Roster Management

NUpolo8

This team always, ALWAYS, starts the year at 85. You think Bo sits in his office and thinks of ways to waste scholarships? No. If he has an open scholarship, it goes to a walk-on during fall camp. A list of players that should be released this week. I know you hate Bo but you can't seriously think he's that stupid.. right?

Ok,

So doing it that way is probably not the best way to create depth at the level needed to win championships.

You're right. I'm sorry. They're kids who started last year and played SIGNIFICANT minutes, but, hey, they chose to come here without a scholarship. Let's just see if they keep playing if we don't give them a scholarship - then they leave and we have an even bigger depth problem.

Or you could recruit smarter, harder, and with bigger classes.

To be fair, I have heard we have made a much improved commitment to this area.

Also, to be fair, I have heard a lot of things, many of which haven't exactly been true. these coaches are kind of a mind--- at times.

Still, hard to argues with the 1.2 million spent on recruiting, versus the 375,000 (if I heard correctly) in the past.

Where is that $375,000? I can't imagine that is the case in 20 years.

Next man up, let's see this team improve. There isn't a next year for guys like Kenny Bell, Abdullah and Gregory.

You do realize that the 77 number you are touting includes the removal of the injuries right? Every team plays with less than 85 scholy players every year. There isn't a single team that has 85 full through the season.

I'd wager that they start with that though. I just looked at Oregon and Alabama, two teams that some people like to lump Nebraska with and they currently have 85.

Well your research is off then. According to this site Alabama has at least 3 who are suspended for the year and a several more who are questionable due to injury. Oregon has 2 out for the season due to ACL's as well. How about OU who just suspended a player for the year and has potentially another out for a potential suspension. Florida State has 3 out right now.

Auburn has 4 who will be out for the year or at least miss the opener against Arkansas. Frankly this site is also missing a few. 85 scholy players is to start game 1 is very rare and it goes downhill from there.

http://www.statfox.com/cfb/injuries.asp

That site is missing a few things.

You do realize that the 77 number you are touting includes the removal of the injuries right? Every team plays with less than 85 scholy players every year. There isn't a single team that has 85 full through the season.

Are you sure? I've read differently, with Walton and Moss being the notable exceptions (they are not counted against the 77).

I wouldn't sound the alarm bells about the #, though. Walton's status being up in the air, we're 7 short, and that's before handing out walk-ons to deserving upperclassmen. This is the season to start doing that, and attrition is exactly where those scholarships should come from.

It may be a touch higher than ideal, but my impression of the team is that we're getting much better mileage out of the guys we do have on the roster than before. If in previous years we had better numbers, we had a number of (even pretty young) players who were just taking up roster spots. Now, our % of competitors rate has more than increased enough to make up for a few scholarship differences.

I would look for this staff to continue managing their numbers situations a little better. I think there's been room for criticism on that in the past. Maybe we could be a little more aggressive in addressing the shortages before they come up.

Walton? Moss is not currently on scholly as he lost it earlier this year, but is expected to go back on for next year. They will give a Sr. Walkon his scholly for this season only and then put Moss back on. Right now his slot is missing against the 85 as they haven't awarded the Walk On Schollies yet so that makes 84. Taylor, Rose, Alexander, Whitaker, and Jackson brings the number down to 79. Curry would make 78. I will have to think who the last one is.

Polo - Do other programs not named Nebraska never have people transfer?

How would you like our coaches to handle losing players to transfers, as rare as that is? Chain them to their locker in the stadium?

I would like them to be better at their jobs. And every program has injuries and attrition like what's happening here at the moment. Not all of have the extreme depth issues that this has created.

Next man up, let's see this team improve. There isn't a next year for guys like Kenny Bell, Abdullah and Gregory.

I'd wager that they start with that though. I just looked at Oregon and Alabama, two teams that some people like to lump Nebraska with and they currently have 85.

Well your research is off then. According to this site Alabama has at least 3 who are suspended for the year and a several more who are questionable due to injury. Oregon has 2 out for the season due to ACL's as well. How about OU who just suspended a player for the year and has potentially another out for a potential suspension. Florida State has 3 out right now.

Auburn has 4 who will be out for the year or at least miss the opener against Arkansas. Frankly this site is also missing a few. 85 scholy players is to start game 1 is very rare and it goes downhill from there.

http://www.statfox.com/cfb/injuries.asp

That site is missing a few things.

Yes it is, but the point still stands. The fact that Alabama and Oregon are NOT starting with 85 for instance. Every team has to be at 85 players on scholly by late July, from there it can only go down. Some teams don't even have a healthy 85 going into Fall Camp due to injuries from the Spring or Summer conditioning. Point is that pretty much every team has less than 85 going into game 1. 77 scholly players available is a loss of 8, that is high but I don't see how that is an indictment on the staff due to under recruiting. Fact is they had 84 going in with Moss on suspension. They couldn't fill his slot with the 2014 class because they expect that he rejoins the team in 2015. They can put a Sr. Walk On in his slot for this season and have that scholly available for Moss when he can return.

Polo - Do other programs not named Nebraska never have people transfer?

How would you like our coaches to handle losing players to transfers, as rare as that is? Chain them to their locker in the stadium?

I would like them to be better at their jobs. And every program has injuries and attrition like what's happening here at the moment. Not all of have the extreme depth issues that this has created.

But that's the thing. You say we have no depth ... yet you've never seen the depth play. So..?

Javeon Walton.

cave, the breakdown I read said that 77 includes all players who are injured (but not those who have left the program -- I'm not sure where that puts Alexander). I'm not sure if that's accurate, since you seem to have a different understanding of it.

Javeon Walton.

cave, the breakdown I read said that 77 includes all players who are injured (but not those who have left the program -- I'm not sure where that puts Alexander). I'm not sure if that's accurate, since you seem to have a different understanding of it.

Thank you, I couldn't remember who I was missing. That number has to include Curry, no other way to cut it. Alexander has not left the team, he is suspended. Moss I guess hasn't technically left the team, so I guess you can consider him suspended. The point being that it isn't like the staff under recruited by 8 people as everyone seems to take that stat and infer. I think Walton will join the team in due time, or I hope so rather, so that makes the number 78. Curry is a tough blow.

Polo - Braxton Miller potentially out for the season tonight after another shoulder injury. Can you tell me how Urban Meyer should better plan for his starting QB to get injured? And what should now be done with his scholarship?

Well for one Braxton's backup is pretty competent if I remember correctly.

And I'm quite confident Urban has recruiting on a premium.

I'm also very confident Ohio st and it's fans arent punting on the season.

Polo - Braxton Miller potentially out for the season tonight after another shoulder injury. Can you tell me how Urban Meyer should better plan for his starting QB to get injured? And what should now be done with his scholarship?

If you are thinking of Kenny Guiton, he has since graduated.

• Fire 3

If you are thinking of Kenny Guiton, he has since graduated.
Well how did they allow that to happen????????

Well they appear to have confidence in Cardale Jones. And like the Dude inferred, it's pretty well known that with Brax, the backup best be ready to be thrown in the fire. Sometimes I just get the feeling our staff is banking in everything going perfectly and no one getting hurt. Case in point, QB last year.

1) Ohio St's previous back-up single-handedly gave us a game whatever year that was (2 years ago?) and now their back-up QB is a true-freshman.

2) I mean, I guess recruiting on a premium being that he's looking at his starting QB this season being a forced true-freshman QB.

3) I guess that's my big quarrel with you. YOU'RE the one punting, and it's so frustrating to me. I can't figure out why you're so negative about this season.

• Fire 4