Ferguson-like attack in Utah escapes media notice; race bias seen

Tschu's likely response : it's a tragedy but hundreds of years of racial oppression and systemic racism make it different, white guilt.

Well.... Doesn't it?

Depends on who you ask I suppose. The fact that cops are killing unarmed, presumably innocent at the time, people of any color should warrant outcry. The idea that skin color makes one more concerning over the other is ridiculous.

I don't disagree that cops killing unarmed people of any race is disturbing. But, does the Salt Lake City Police have a history of racist tactics against whites?

Have any of the SLC police said "Let's have a white day?" or "Let's make the jail less colorful?"

Additionally, the majority of the media coverage has been the police response to protests, rather than the shooting itself. There were no tanks and tear gas in Salt Lake City.

I have no idea what the racial tactics of SLC police are. And I probably won't because the same media source that brought you all of the seedy stuff about Ferguson, doesn't care about a white man getting shot by a black cop. Did you know that Ferguson had a race issue with cops before this incident? Probably not. And no one in the media gave a damn either until now.

Or, just maybe there's no racial conspiracy against the whites in Utah for the big bad media to report on.

Tschu's likely response : it's a tragedy but hundreds of years of racial oppression and systemic racism make it different, white guilt.

Well.... Doesn't it?

Depends on who you ask I suppose. The fact that cops are killing unarmed, presumably innocent at the time, people of any color should warrant outcry. The idea that skin color makes one more concerning over the other is ridiculous.

I don't disagree that cops killing unarmed people of any race is disturbing. But, does the Salt Lake City Police have a history of racist tactics against whites?

Have any of the SLC police said "Let's have a white day?" or "Let's make the jail less colorful?"

Additionally, the majority of the media coverage has been the police response to protests, rather than the shooting itself. There were no tanks and tear gas in Salt Lake City.

I have no idea what the racial tactics of SLC police are. And I probably won't because the same media source that brought you all of the seedy stuff about Ferguson, doesn't care about a white man getting shot by a black cop. Did you know that Ferguson had a race issue with cops before this incident? Probably not. And no one in the media gave a damn either until now.

What are the rest of the facts here? If we want to say that these are mirror image racial situations that prove a media racial bias we're going to need some more information.

Is the community in the Utah case ~60% white/40% black? Is the Utah community police force ~95% black? Are only 7% of the people arrested during traffic stops in this Utah community black?

Those are real questions. If the answers to the above questions are all "yes" then the Washington Times might have a point. If the answers are "no" they're hoping that their readers don't know the right questions. They might be right.

What are the rest of the facts here? If we want to say that these are mirror image racial situations that prove a media racial bias we're going to need some more information.

Is the community in the Utah case ~60% white/40% black? Is the Utah community police force ~95% black? Are only 7% of the people arrested during traffic stops in this Utah community black?

Those are real questions. If the answers to the above questions are all "yes" then the Washington Times might have a point. If the answers are "no" they're hoping that their readers don't know the right questions. They might be right.

It still doesn't negate the fact that a few short weeks after a white cop shot and killed an unarmed, innocent at the time, black person a "non-white" cop did the same thing to a white person.

Why doesn't the media look at it as revenge killing for Ferguson? Seems plausible. But again, it doesn't fit their journalistic endeavors.

• Fire 1

It still doesn't negate the fact that a few short weeks after a white cop shot and killed an unarmed, innocent at the time, black person a "non-white" cop did the same thing to a white person.

Why doesn't the media look at it as revenge killing for Ferguson? Seems plausible. But again, it doesn't fit their journalistic endeavors.

Or it doesn't fit with your theory at all. If there is no evidence of racial bias against whites in Utah, then how can they report on racial bias against whites in Utah?

Revenge for the Ferguson killing seems plausible? Based on what?

Or it doesn't fit with your theory at all. If there is no evidence of racial bias against whites in Utah, then how can they report on racial bias against whites in Utah?

Revenge for the Ferguson killing seems plausible? Based on what?

Was there evidence of racial bias of the cop in Ferguson?

Based on what? A non white cop killed an unarmed innocent white guy. Had to be a reason. Race seems like a good place to start.

Remove the context and I don't think that either would be on the national radar for this long.

My suspicion is that the Utah case lacks similar context but I could be wrong. Do you know?

Personally, I think that the black cop shot the white/hispanic 20 year old because it's the opening move by Obama's brownshirts. Seems plausible. But again, it doesn't fit their journalistic endeavors.

Was there evidence of racial bias of the cop in Ferguson?

That specific cop? None that I know of. But the Ferguson police in general? Obviously yes. If you haven't seen it, you haven't been willing to see it.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/07/aclu_st_louis_county_police_sunshine_law.php

In May, we wrote about the controversy surrounding Patrick Hayes, a St. Louis county police lieutenant who is accused of ordering cops to profile minorities for arrests, allegedly making statements like "Let's have a black day" and "Let's make the jail cells more colorful."

Since the case first made headlines, the whistleblower who made the allegations has come forward and the American Civil Liberties Union of Eastern Missouri has also pursued records in this case through the state's Sunshine Law. Sgt. Daniel O'Neil, who wrote anonymous letters to higher-ups, has filed a formal discrimination complaint against the county police department -- and today the ACLU-EM announced it has also filed a lawsuit, alleging that the department is violating Missouri's records law by refusing to hand over documents.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/15/the-day-ferguson-cops-were-caught-in-a-bloody-lie.html

The booking officer summoned a number of fellow cops. One opened the cell door while another suddenly charged, propelling Davis inside and slamming him against the back wall.

“I told the police officers there that I didn’t do nothing, ‘Why is you guys doing this to me?’” Davis testified. “They said, ‘OK, just lay on the ground and put your hands behind your back.’”

Davis said he complied and that a female officer straddled and then handcuffed him. Two other officers crowded into the cell.

“They started hitting me,” he testified. “I was getting hit and I just covered up.”

The other two stepped out and the female officer allegedly lifted Davis’ head as the cop who had initially pushed him into the cell reappeared.

“He ran in and kicked me in the head,” Davis recalled. “I almost passed out at that point… Paramedics came… They said it was too much blood, I had to go to the hospital.”

A patrol car took the bleeding Davis to a nearby emergency room. He refused treatment, demanding somebody first take his picture.

“I wanted a witness and proof of what they done to me,” Davis said.

He was driven back to the jail, where he was held for several days before he posted $1,500 bond on four counts of “property damage.” Police Officer John Beaird had signed complaints swearing on pain of perjury that Davis had bled on his uniform and those of three fellow officers.

Indisputable evidence of what transpired in the cell might have been provided by a surveillance camera, but it turned out that the VHS video was recorded at 32 times normal speed.

“It was like a blur,” Schottel told The Daily Beast on Wednesday. “You couldn’t see anything.”

The blur proved to be from 12 hours after the incident anyway. The cops had saved the wrong footage after Schottel asked them to preserve it.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/more-audio-surfaces-dan-page-racist-rant-end-times

More controversial audio has surfaced from Dan Page, the St. Louis County Police officer who pushed CNN's Don Lemon in Ferguson on August 18 and was put on administrative leave after video surfaced of him talking about being "a killer," calling President Obama "undocumented," and disparaging Muslims.

The additional audio, found and highlighted on August 23 by left-wing advocacy and research group Political Research Associates, goes deeper into his beliefs that the United States is in danger of being folded into a one-world government after a series of orchestrated events, and that "99.9 percent" of sexual assault in the military is "bogus." The audio comes from interviews Page did in July with Rick Wiles on theTruNews radio show, an end-times and right-wing conspiracy-theory forum, and in May with the John Moore Radio Show.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/even-before-teen-michael-browns-slaying-in-mo-racial-questions-have-hung-over-police/2014/08/13/78b3c5c6-2307-11e4-86ca-6f03cbd15c1a_story.html?hpid=z2

The department bears little demographic resemblance to the citizens of this St. Louis suburb, a mostly African American community whose suspicions of the law enforcement agency preceded Saturday afternoon’s shooting of Michael Brown, an 18-year-old who this week had been headed to technical college.

But while the racial disparity between the public here and its protectors has come to define the violent aftermath of Brown’s death, the department’s problems stretch back years and include questions about its officers’ training and racial sensitivity.

The office of Missouri’s attorney general concluded in an annual report last year that Ferguson police were twice as likely to arrest African Americans during traffic stops as they were whites.

And late last year, the state chapter of the NAACP filed a federal complaint against the St. Louis County police department, whose officers are now assisting Ferguson’s force since the shooting, over racial disparities in traffic stops, arrests and other actions.

• Fire 2

Remove the context and I don't think that either would be on the national radar for this long.

My suspicion is that the Utah case lacks similar context but I could be wrong. Do you know?

Personally, I think that the black cop shot the white/hispanic 20 year old because it's the opening move by Obama's brownshirts. Seems plausible. But again, it doesn't fit their journalistic endeavors.

You're probably right that it wouldn't have been on the radar this long. As far as the context, I watched the news station that reported on it on Youtube and similarities are there. Of course not exact. But enough to be disturbing.

And I don't think that it was a revenge killing. Or race related. The same way I feel about Ferguson.

My concern, though, is the killing of unarmed people.

You're probably right that it wouldn't have been on the radar this long. As far as the context, I watched the news station that reported on it on Youtube and similarities are there. Of course not exact. But enough to be disturbing.

And I don't think that it was a revenge killing. Or race related. The same way I feel about Ferguson.

My concern, though, is the killing of unarmed people.

I tend to agree that the Ferguson shooting probably wasn't primarily motivated by race and I am also concerned by the killing of unarmed people.

That doesn't mean that we have to ignore racial problems in Ferguson. As Junior noted . . . if people are denying the existence of those problems they need to pay more attention.

A fair portion of the reason you're hearing so much bout the Ferguson shooting is that the press were targeted during the ensuing riots. The press love nothing more than talking about themselves.

Case in point - ISIS has murdered thousands of people, and after they initially burst onto the scene with mass killings, they settled to a dull background roar - until they killed a journalist, and coverage tripled across all news fronts. Same thing happened when Daniel Pearl was killed. When the press becomes the story, the press cover that story, big-time.

I'm not sure the lack of coverage in the Utah shooting is due to *media* bias. If they want media coverage those folks in Salt Lake City need to get some rioting done. Maybe tip over a few cars and loot the downtown businesses. And they need to bring protesters from the outside, And some big name speakers like the Reverend Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. If they would just take these simple steps, the media would be all over it. Like white on rice.

• Fire 4

A fair portion of the reason you're hearing so much bout the Ferguson shooting is that the press were targeted during the ensuing riots. The press love nothing more than talking about themselves.

Case in point - ISIS has murdered thousands of people, and after they initially burst onto the scene with mass killings, they settled to a dull background roar - until they killed a journalist, and coverage tripled across all news fronts. Same thing happened when Daniel Pearl was killed. When the press becomes the story, the press cover that story, big-time.

That's true too.

The violence/looting/property damage after the Michael Brown shooting cannot be justified. Similarly, there have been more than a few police actions after the Michael Brown shooting that cannot be justified. Whether it's right or wrong I expect a higher standard for the police than the crowd. Like you noted, when some of the police misbehavior is directed at the press . . . the press is going to howl.