Ferguson-like attack in Utah escapes media notice; race bias seen

You're probably right that it wouldn't have been on the radar this long. As far as the context, I watched the news station that reported on it on Youtube and similarities are there. Of course not exact. But enough to be disturbing.

And I don't think that it was a revenge killing. Or race related. The same way I feel about Ferguson.

My concern, though, is the killing of unarmed people.

I tend to agree that the Ferguson shooting probably wasn't primarily motivated by race and I am also concerned by the killing of unarmed people.

That doesn't mean that we have to ignore racial problems in Ferguson. As Junior noted . . . if people are denying the existence of those problems they need to pay more attention.

Don't limit the problems to just Ferguson

Have race relations worsened since Obama was elected? The best data, two polls commissioned by The Associated Press, suggest the answer is yes. The number of Americans with “explicit anti-black attitudes” rose from 48 percent in 2008 to 51 percent in 2012, while implicit racist attitudes went from 49 percent to 56 percent. Another set of A.P. polls showed anti-Latino attitudes had climbed between 2011 and 2012.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/11/20/racism-in-the-age-of-obama/race-relations-under-obama-are-a-backlash

Only 52 percent of whites and 38 percent of blacks have a favorable opinion of race relations in the country, according to the poll, which has tracked race relations since 1994 and was conducted in mid-July by Hart Research Associations and Public Opinion Strategies.

That’s a sharp drop from the beginning of Obama’s first term, when 79 percent of whites and 63 percent of blacks held a favorable view of American race relations.

Negative views on race relations have also increased substantially. According to the poll, 45 percent of whites and 58 percent African-Americans now believe race relations are very or fairly bad, compared with 2009, when only 20 percent of whites and 30 percent of blacks held an unfavorable view.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/25/race-relations-have-plummeted-since-obama-took-office-according-to-poll/

Note that both of these articles came out long before any of us had ever heard of Ferguson.

Thanks Obama

I figured that would come up, but that isn't actually my point. It is just the starting point for the stats on race relations that these articles reference.

I know. I just wanted to be the first to say it.

Whether you say it to be ironic or say it because you don't like the guy, I think it's the one thing about Obama that everyone, on every side of the fence, can agree is funny.

Thanks Obama

I figured that would come up, but that isn't actually my point. It is just the starting point for the stats on race relations that these articles reference.

Whether you say it to be ironic or say it because you don't like the guy, I think it's the one thing about Obama that everyone, on every side of the fence, can agree is funny.

I ran out of +1 for the day otherwise I would give you one.

You're probably right that it wouldn't have been on the radar this long. As far as the context, I watched the news station that reported on it on Youtube and similarities are there. Of course not exact. But enough to be disturbing.

And I don't think that it was a revenge killing. Or race related. The same way I feel about Ferguson.

I tend to agree that the Ferguson shooting probably wasn't primarily motivated by race and I am also concerned by the killing of unarmed people.

That doesn't mean that we have to ignore racial problems in Ferguson. As Junior noted . . . if people are denying the existence of those problems they need to pay more attention.

Have race relations worsened since Obama was elected? The best data, two polls commissioned by The Associated Press, suggest the answer is yes. The number of Americans with “explicit anti-black attitudes” rose from 48 percent in 2008 to 51 percent in 2012, while implicit racist attitudes went from 49 percent to 56 percent. Another set of A.P. polls showed anti-Latino attitudes had climbed between 2011 and 2012.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/11/20/racism-in-the-age-of-obama/race-relations-under-obama-are-a-backlash

Only 52 percent of whites and 38 percent of blacks have a favorable opinion of race relations in the country, according to the poll, which has tracked race relations since 1994 and was conducted in mid-July by Hart Research Associations and Public Opinion Strategies.

That’s a sharp drop from the beginning of Obama’s first term, when 79 percent of whites and 63 percent of blacks held a favorable view of American race relations.

Negative views on race relations have also increased substantially. According to the poll, 45 percent of whites and 58 percent African-Americans now believe race relations are very or fairly bad, compared with 2009, when only 20 percent of whites and 30 percent of blacks held an unfavorable view.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/25/race-relations-have-plummeted-since-obama-took-office-according-to-poll/

Note that both of these articles came out long before any of us had ever heard of Ferguson.

OK...I went through many of the links in this post and I scratch my head about something.

How in the world do you take a poll to find out what percentage of Americans have explicit or implicit racism against blacks?

I didn't.

Thanks Obama

amen