Our Head Coach

Anyways to get this thread back on topic,

Here is what the intitial post said.

Guys, I just wanted to get everyone else's opinion on our HC. I think we made an EXCELLENT choice and it's really starting to show. The players really seem to be in tune w/BC and the entire staff and it appears they'll run through brick walls for them. Our recruiting is awesome and we're getting the players in here that we need to compete w/the big boys. BC also appears able to game plan very well and is adapting to the college game nicely. I know I was ready for heads to roll after the KU game, even somewhat after the thin win against KSU, but looking back at the season and our last 2 games, I'm very excited about the future.

How did people get off topic? It asks people's opinion. I, and probably others, took that as meaning "honest opinion". If an individual wanted all positive banter, call the topic "Things you like about Callahan".

i think Callahan's approval rating is much more higher then the President's approval rating

That is not very difficult to accomplish, and I would hope so.

In MY OPINION, he has embarced the Nebraska tradition and is taking small steps towards a brighter future REGARDLESS if some people can see it or not.

I somewhat agree. IMO, he still has a lot to accomplish. There is only speculation at this point on how well he might do in the future. I think things are definately looking up, but I could be proved wrong just as easily as those who think we are going in the wrong direction.

Those of us that have a positive outlook on life can see those babysteps

Some are not "glass half-full" or "glass half-empty" type people. Some simply are drinking out of a different glass. I see positives, but do not disregard the negatives or the unprovens. Disregarding either can be truly harmful.

and that's why we are being patient while being attacked by the pessimist who look for every negative little detail to use as ammo and fail to realize that Coach Callahan is a human being who regardless whether he admits it or not makes mistakes.

This seems a little donkey and elephant. I think Callahan is sincere, but there is always a level of scrutiny that a head coach needs to serve under. Expectations he needs to achieve. Yes it takes time, but until he does, all viewpoints (good and bad) are completely justified.

I deploy the philosophy "forgive, forget, and move on".

Except with certain individuals on this board. :dumdum

:yeah

but what does that have to do with a coach saying as of right now he would love to finish his career at nebraska?

After this, Im done with this topic (even though there is plenty to rebutt):

It shows that he had no problem telling a blatant untruth publicly. It calls his honesty and integrity into question.

Who knows if he's telling the truth?

lol wow you got a lot out of this gesturegate stuff. you must have missed the part when he explained what he meant by the gesture. There was this phrase "let he who is without sin..." lol name one college football coach who is squeeky clean.

you must really hate our coach and it must just eat away at you that he is starting to succeed. i hope you brought a lot of change to the wishing well because i think callahan is going to be around for a while.

Isn't that the truth.

Take for instance the legendary Coach K (ole Rat Face as I call him) at Duke. Just do me a favor tonight and watch him on the sidelines as Duke plays VA Tech on ESPN. He drops more F bombs of anyone outside of an Eminem CD. It's even directed at the officials to, but all you see is people hanging from his ... well I'll keep it rated PG for the kiddies in here.

Anyways to get this thread back on topic,

Here is what the intitial post said.

Guys, I just wanted to get everyone else's opinion on our HC. I think we made an EXCELLENT choice and it's really starting to show. The players really seem to be in tune w/BC and the entire staff and it appears they'll run through brick walls for them. Our recruiting is awesome and we're getting the players in here that we need to compete w/the big boys. BC also appears able to game plan very well and is adapting to the college game nicely. I know I was ready for heads to roll after the KU game, even somewhat after the thin win against KSU, but looking back at the season and our last 2 games, I'm very excited about the future.

How did people get off topic? It asks people's opinion. I, and probably others, took that as meaning "honest opinion". If an individual wanted all positive banter, call the topic "Things you like about Callahan".

i think Callahan's approval rating is much more higher then the President's approval rating

That is not very difficult to accomplish, and I would hope so.

In MY OPINION, he has embarced the Nebraska tradition and is taking small steps towards a brighter future REGARDLESS if some people can see it or not.

I somewhat agree. IMO, he still has a lot to accomplish. There is only speculation at this point on how well he might do in the future. I think things are definately looking up, but I could be proved wrong just as easily as those who think we are going in the wrong direction.

Those of us that have a positive outlook on life can see those babysteps

Some are not "glass half-full" or "glass half-empty" type people. Some simply are drinking out of a different glass. I see positives, but do not disregard the negatives or the unprovens. Disregarding either can be truly harmful.

and that's why we are being patient while being attacked by the pessimist who look for every negative little detail to use as ammo and fail to realize that Coach Callahan is a human being who regardless whether he admits it or not makes mistakes.

This seems a little donkey and elephant. I think Callahan is sincere, but there is always a level of scrutiny that a head coach needs to serve under. Expectations he needs to achieve. Yes it takes time, but until he does, all viewpoints (good and bad) are completely justified.

I deploy the philosophy "forgive, forget, and move on".

Except with certain individuals on this board. :dumdum

:yeah

2x :yeah

Except with certain individuals on this board

How did people get off topic?

What does that first comment above you made have to do with Callahan and the topic? :dumdum Are you trying to provoke something? Second of all, i don't care if you express your concerns or issues you might have with the coach, but when that becomes the ONLY thing YOU OR ANYONE else decides to do by ripping them new a-holes, that's when i have a problem with it. I come here to discuss ideas and opinions (positive and negative), not listen to CONSTANT negative comments thread after thread after thread. If i wanted to be around that sort of negativity, i would become a volunteer on a teen suicide hotline or join a group that talks about depression. Talking about why we didn't play touted freshman has what to do with Callahan. And lastly, what does this comment have to do with Callahan "which the thread is clearly about" ?

I know that talent is a big issue to many, but after watching the Alamo Bowl, IF Wichigan actually is one of the top 10 most talented teams (according to so-called recruiting gurus), then NU is not far off, and we were sold a line. With the exception of UMs pass rush vs NUs pass blockers, and possibly Breaston, UM was not a more talented football team then NU.

Like i said..back to the TOPIC titled "Our Head Coach"

Are you trying to provoke something?

Not at all. Offering my take of on a situation. Can you find it in your heart to "forgive, forget, and move on".

Second of all, talking about why we didn't play touted freshman has what to do with Callahan.

Seriously? You think Callahan had nothing do do with this decision's. Whether right or wrong, he definately played a role; he's the head coach.

And lastly, what does this comment have to do with Callahan "which the thread is clearly about" ?

Which comment are you refering to?

I know that talent is a big issue to many, but after watching the Alamo Bowl, IF Wichigan actually is one of the top 10 most talented teams (according to so-called recruiting gurus), then NU is not far off, and we were sold a line. With the exception of UMs pass rush vs NUs pass blockers, and possibly Breaston, UM was not a more talented football team then NU.

I agree with you on this one.

I like Bill Callahan and admittedly started out with a "wait and see" approach. I truly wanted to succeed from the very beginning and knew that we needed to be patient. I knew success wasn't going to come overnight. I believe in this coaching staff and continue to support them. It appears that this program has turned the corner and is on the road to great success. Do we need to continue to be patient? You bet! I believe we are still one to two years away from being the Nebraska that we are know and remember. The Nebraska that all colleges wanted to be with a long and proud tradition! Go Big Red!

Question here for the folks --

How many 'supporters' in this thread sent in an e-mail or called a radio station asking for BC's removal after the Kansas game? Be honest. ;)

If only Bush's approval rating could change as quickly as BC's did....

i didnt. i was starting to have doubts but then i went to the kansas state game and i was reassured that Coach Callahan can get it done. if it werent for some sloppy 3rd quarter special teams and the safeties that game wouldnt have been as close.

And lastly, what does this comment have to do with Callahan "which the thread is clearly about" ?

Which comment are you refering to?

I agree with you on this one.

I'll elaborate. If NU is athletically similar to one of the supposed "top 10 athletic teams" in nation, then why have they struggled so much in the past couple of years?? Product of the head coach, his teachings, and his systems, possibly?

It's hard to point to just one thing, if you ask me. Last year was ugly and really I personally wasn't really expecting it. Why wasn't I expecting it? Well for one I have never seen a change like this at Nebraska in my lifetime. As 04 progressed, I started wondering if this was kind of par for the course when a change like that happens. I looked at teams like Utah, USC, Notre Dame. It occurred to me that sometimes a team will turn right around, sometimes they won't. Probably happening at roughly the same rate. 5-6 was a very hard to swallow, but swallow it we all did because, hey, what else are we going to do? I have never really been one for kicking and screaming about something like that.

As 05 started I had a bit more realistic view of what this year was going to be like. I thought 7-4 was completely fair. We went 8-4 finishing strong, which was great to see. For the first time in a few years I saw kids who were loving what they were doing on the field. Embraced their staff and finally, it's like everyone is on the same page. Awesome.

So, in conclusion, I think Callahan and Co. really want to do well and work hard to make this thing happen. Can't fault them for that. As long as they keep putting what has to be at least 14 hour days, working hard for themselves and the players, he'll be alright.

He's got my support.

You just quoted yourself to prove that Nebraska is in the top ten in the country athletically former..... I am not sure if you watched the game or not, but I am pretty sure that if all of those guys were on the same team, none of our wide outs, Taylor, Ross, and probably our whole O line would not be starting. Dont even get me started on our tight ends... The difference was not athletic talent however, it was coaching. We outcoached them. Did we have more talent than Kansas and Mizzou, probably, and did we get outcoached in those games, yes. But we most certainly outcoached Colorado and Michigan. We are not in the top ten in the country athletically, and until we are, we arent going to be where we want to be.

You just quoted yourself to prove that Nebraska is in the top ten in the country athletically former..... I am not sure if you watched the game or not, but I am pretty sure that if all of those guys were on the same team, none of our wide outs, Taylor, Ross, and probably our whole O line would not be starting. Dont even get me started on our tight ends...

All I was saying is that in watching the Alamo Bowl, if UM is really a top 10 talented team, they did not overwhelm NU athletically (same for OU) so I think that the "talent" excuse is slightly unfounded and not the reason for NUs recent struggles.

The difference was not athletic talent however, it was coaching. We outcoached them.

See last sentence.

Did we have more talent than Kansas and Mizzou, probably, and did we get outcoached in those games, yes.

Agreed.

But we most certainly outcoached Colorado and Michigan

I will give you CU, it was the best coached game/gameplan NU has had in 2 years. As for UM, some of the gameplans worked well, but some of the gameplans almost cost NU the game. Example, NU was having good success running the ball (the best all year), yet in the 2nd qtr the coaches almost got NU in to a hole that they couldnt get out of by abandoning the running game while trying to get the passing game going. It almost cost NU the game (2 bad picks, and I dont think NU had any completions in the 2nd qtr-could be wrong). It put NU in a big hole when they had momentum . Also, Im trying to figure out exactly what the defense was doing in the 4th qtr. It seems that there were some "blitz's" called, where the LB would rush the line and just kind of stand there. I saw on more than one occasion, and couldnt figure out exactly what that was about :blink: And lets not start on the final play (100% until the whistle blows <_< ).

We are not in the top ten in the country athletically, and until we are, we arent going to be where we want to be.

Point being, UM didnt overwhelm NU from a purely athletic standpoint. Either UMs athleticism is highly overrated, or NUs is highly underrated. NU seemed to stick with a couple of other pretty decent teams (Tech, OU) so I dont buy the salespitch that NU is bankrupt athletically. Are they at the level of Texas or USC, no, but they are not as bad as we were led to believe, IMO.

you didnt see michigan and OU playing in BCS bowls neither. and what part of the talent issue do you not understand. we have talent, just not a lot of talented depth. that was a problem in 04 and it still showed its ugly face in 05. next year it should be a minor zit on our faces.

you didnt see michigan play a 100 percent mistake free game. you dont see teams play 100 percent mistake free. doesnt happen. and the whistle should have blown after the fumble.

Question here for the folks --

How many 'supporters' in this thread sent in an e-mail or called a radio station asking for BC's removal after the Kansas game? Be honest. ;)

I never called in anywhere; but, in all honesty, I was rather critical of BC. That game was extremely difficult to take. Needless to say, any confidence that I had in BC at the time, drastically diminished. Similar to the Missouri game. BC has regained some of my confidence after the last 2 games of the season; but, for me at least, he still has much to prove. Don't get me wrong, I will be supportive of BC, but still think he needs to be held to a high standard. Many say that he is just a man and he will make some mistakes; while true, he is the head coach at Nebraska. I hold that position at the highest of standards, and believe that anyone in that position should be critiqued, scrutinized, and held to very hign standards. One can respect the man, and still criticize the coach.

It is! It is going down as fast as Callahans went up. Still amazed he ever reached 35%. But, I will limit myself with this one, for it not the place for this discussion. <_<

Not sure we could of done any better at the time he was hired, sure that is up for debate. There have been a few times that i have scratched my head since he has been the head coach, but all in all i have no major complaints and think he is doing a hell of a job considering what he walked into. I have never been one to be overly critical of BC because i am not in his shoes nor am i at team/coaches meetings or on the sidelines listening into why certain calls are made. Very easy to sit at home in front of the TV and do nothing but question...