How does being a fan cloud your judgement?

Many know that I am a diehard Vikings fan. I was born and raised as a Vikings fan.. Compared to basically choosing to be a husker fan when i went to school there.

I am going to try and not get too long-winded with my point of this thread, but still try and get my point across... fully expect a few: TL;DR

When the news about Adrian Peterson came out yesterday, my intial reaction was to defend Adrian. AP is easily my favorite current Viking(all time favorite is Randy Moss). I have read countless stories about AP and he has always been presented as a very good guy. He volunteers and while he has like 7 kids from like 6 women, It always seemed like he was a good dad.

As the news began to come out yesterday, it was crystal clear that AP was in the wrong. He is the type of dad who chooses to teach his kid a lesson he wont be able to forget because it leaves a mark(literally)... This is something many people grew up with in some way.. in the 60's and 70's, no one would bat an eye.. but AP (who was treated this way as a kid) should know that there is a line and he clearly crossed it.. especially with the child only being 4 yrs old.

My point here isnt to discuss the specific AP situation as much as I want to discuss how being a fan clouds all our opinions... I have mixed emotions and find it hard to be harsh on AP because I am such a fan.

The same way i probably defended Alfonzo Dennard for punching that cop(IT WAS AN ACCIDENT) or some might try and defend Bo(not all) to non-husker fans.

So how does a fan not let his judgement be clouded? I think it is natural to want to defend someone who plays for your team, but in my situation, it is probably wrong. AP abused his child and i am trying hard to fight my Viking pride in order to look at this how I should.

The end of the day, AP was wrong. So was Dennard as was Rice... Fan or no fan, you can lay hands on other people. All 3 of those situations were very different, but yet all 3 test our fandom.

So my question is.. how do others deal with not allowing your fandom to cloud your ability to use common sense?

This is one of my better strengths. I don't let it cloud my judgement at all. At least not consistently. In knee jerk fashion maybe but even then I don't like to give knee jerk reactions anyway. I've always considered myself a realist and a lot of people consider it negativity.

I didn't defend Bo's actions in that TAMU game back in 2010. I was actually pretty disgusted by it. I also didn't defend LaGarrette Blount's punch of that Boise player back in 2009. Or Cliff Harris' suspension in prior to 2011. So no, I don't let my fandom cloud my judgment.

Or any of Suh's actions warranting a fine.

It's pretty easy to separate real life from sports. When Lawrence Phillips got kicked off the team in 1995 I thought it was the right call and I was pretty hesitant to put him back in against Florida. Fonzie's fracas with the cops was no different - he punched a cop, and he deserves legal penalties. I just roll my eyes and wonder why they can't control themselves more. Same with Suh, or any other guy we've had on the team.

It isn't always my initial reaction, but I just remind myself that (most of) these people strictly provide me with entertainment value (to a lesser degree: vicarious pride) and that they have no direct impact to my life, or the lives of those I care about. "Its just a game".

I've had years to hone this skill. I'll share that probably prior to the past 15 years, I had much harder time with this practice. Especially, when I was used to NU being able to pretty much name their score every game.

and while he has like 7 kids from like 6 women, It always seemed like he was a good dad.

I'm sure it's possible for a guy with a bunch of random kids and baby-mamas all over the country to be a good dad, but I find it hard to imagine.

You can go ahead and keep being a fan of the Vikings, but do yourself a favor and come to the realization that Adrian Peterson is a piece of $h!t. He already has one kid dead from child abuse yet he still thought it was okay to beat another of his kids with switches to the extent that it left several cuts and open wounds, and then he puts on a $h!t-eating grin for his mugshot. F##k that a-hole.

Your fandom of the Vikings should in no way allow you to defend him, your fandom should make you hate him for besmirching your team.