JUCO S Jayme Thompson [Indiana Commit]

Mavric

Thompson has committed to play at Iowa Western Community College, where he hopes to play one season before transferring to a major-conference program with three years of eligibility remaining. A redshirt freshman, he will be eligible to play both this fall and immediately in 2015 if he joins a Division I program. (Thompson would have had to sit out a year if he left Ohio State for another Division I school.)

Thompson will join Iowa Western — one of the nation’s top junior colleges — in good academic standing after he requested his release from Ohio State last month. A former four-star recruit, he missed last season with a severe high ankle sprain. But he returned this spring and, while he faced tall odds to crack the rotation at a deep safety position, started for the Scarlet team in the Buckeyes' annual spring game. He had three tackles and a pass breakup in the exhibition.

Link

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Banker mentioned us looking to add another DB - is he still available?

I remember Banker saying we are looking from another JUCO LB, potentially. Surprised about them looking for a DB. Why do they feel our depth in the secondary isn't good enough?

I was surprised by this as well.

"One position specifically might be safety, the other might be corner," Banker told HuskerOnline.com. "We are always hunting down a linebacker as well. We've done a pretty good job of exhausting all of that - somebody that might be able to come in physically mature, mentally mature ready to play. We wouldn't dispel or discount a high school player either."

• 3 months later...

So apparently all the talk about how we were finally going to take advantage of IWCC goes back on hold.

There's a lot that goes into offering a player. You look for more than athletic ability and size. He's gotta have work ethic, give you confidence he can get the job done in the classroom, get along well with people and be a team player, and he's gotta want to learn and grow. Some of these kids are missing that stuff, or they have it but have some drug interests that don't bode well for what Riley wants. I dunno what this kids deal was, but we didn't offer him. I guarantee you the staff knew about him with that sidze and speed. I'm sure we looked at him, but he just may not have been a fit for this team. May not have been good enough to make us better.

• Fire 1

It doesn't surprise me that a couple of JUCO players in the WR, DB positions won't commit here. JUCO's typically are looking for a place they can come in and make an impact right away and those to positions for the Huskers are pretty good at the moment. Probably wasn't a good chance for them to come in and start right away.

Just my thought of course. I more than likely know nothing.