Kalu Listens, Learns, Earns Playing Time

Mavric

Nebraska defensive coordinator John Papuchis saw something before Miami lined up for a fourth-down play midway through the fourth quarter Saturday night, and the Huskers scrambled and changed coverages at the last second.

Josh Kalu knew only that he was supposed to drop into zone, and didn’t think too much about why or how it might work.
“I just played,” Kalu said. “I just went along with the call.”
That kind of attitude is a big reason why the defensive back is being used as a true freshman. It’s why he has become the sixth defensive back when Nebraska goes to its dime package, which has included playing a multitude of snaps the last two weeks.
“That’s a smart kid,” NU defensive back Byerson Cockrell said. “Coming in, Josh just always did pretty much everything we asked him to do. He just makes it easy for himself by listening to Coach and just doing things Coach asks him to do.”

OWH

Really like what I've seen from him so far. Our DBs look to be in good shape for several years to come.

Our secondary has been pretty good. Only area of concern for me has been our linebacking core.

I cant imagine how much better we would be with guys like Rose and Alexander out there. Seems like we have outstanding team speed and I am getting more and more excited because of some of the DB recruits we have coming in.

I think our DB's could have more INT's if they didnt play back to the ball(point that has been made over and over by people much smarter than me) but if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Love to see guys like Kalu and other young guys stepping up.

Nebraska defensive coordinator John Papuchis saw something before Miami lined up for a fourth-down play midway through the fourth quarter Saturday night, and the Huskers scrambled and changed coverages at the last second.

Josh Kalu knew only that he was supposed to drop into zone, and didn’t think too much about why or how it might work.
“I just played,” Kalu said. “I just went along with the call.”
That kind of attitude is a big reason why the defensive back is being used as a true freshman. It’s why he has become the sixth defensive back when Nebraska goes to its dime package, which has included playing a multitude of snaps the last two weeks.
“That’s a smart kid,” NU defensive back Byerson Cockrell said. “Coming in, Josh just always did pretty much everything we asked him to do. He just makes it easy for himself by listening to Coach and just doing things Coach asks him to do.”

OWH

Really like what I've seen from him so far. Our DBs look to be in good shape for several years to come.

Nice to hear. Good job Papuchis.

Kalu has played very well so far. Great effort each week and apparently does what he is asked to do.

Our secondary has been pretty good. Only area of concern for me has been our linebacking core.

I cant imagine how much better we would be with guys like Rose and Alexander out there. Seems like we have outstanding team speed and I am getting more and more excited because of some of the DB recruits we have coming in.

I think our DB's could have more INT's if they didnt play back to the ball(point that has been made over and over by people much smarter than me) but if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Love to see guys like Kalu and other young guys stepping up.

don't forget Charles Jackson