I'm soliciting advice on this topic: How much do you let your young kids play video games? Unlimited? Or a certain number of hours per week? What types of games do you let them play? Interactive on-line games? Or solo Internet games? (e.g., yahoo.com type games) Computer games (not on-line)? Game console games? Handheld games, or games on smartphone, iPod, iPad, etc.?

My kid is four and one-half. So far we try to discourage him from playing computer and on-line games. We don't let him play around on the Internet by himself. But, like a lot of four year olds, he's totally obsessed with Angry Birds and would play it 12 hours a day if we let him. On the one hand I don't want him to turn into a gamer freak at the expense of sports and other activities. But I also don't want to limit his time with games and computers to the point of turning him into a Luddite.

Are there any parents on Huskerboard who've given this any thought?

My kids are 8 and 5, and we have to tell them to put down their Ipods or stop playing the PS3. It's not like they are on them ALL DAY, but they do get on them quite often. We don't have a set limit on the # of hours per week or per day, but if the use gets excessive, we try to get them to do something else.

The one thing is that you have to be prepared to "do stuff" with them instead of having them be on electronics. This could be going outside, going to a park, playing a board game, coloring, play dough, etc.

My kids are both grown and on their own. What I see in parents today is that they seem to shy away from instilling discipline in their children. Don't be afraid to be strict with them, you are the parent, Another thin to realize is that when you and your kids are out in public not everyone you come in contact with will think you kids are as "cure" as you do. Just teach them to behave and mind you and all will be well.

T_O_B

My kids are both grown and on their own. What I see in parents today is that they seem to shy away from instilling discipline in their children. Don't be afraid to be strict with them, you are the parent. Another thing to realize is that when you and your kids are out in public not everyone you come in contact with will think you kids are as "cure" as you do. Just teach them to behave and mind you and all will be well.

T_O_B

For games, I do play a couple of Yahoo on-line games with him once in a while. Mostly Coastal Cannon and the Yahoo basketball shooting game. Since he's only four I think I'll avoid letting him access the Internet for while, and instead start him out retro. To this end I picked up a used Gameboy Advance SP and a couple games. That way if he trashes it I won't be out much $$. We'll see how that goes for a while.

NUAnce, typically we let our 7 y.o. have an hour of video game time per day, provided they do their chores and homework. We'll use electronics access as leverage for discipline too.

On the weekends, the time increases to two hours, but only after they've done something outside for a spell. When soccer season is in full swing, this is a non-issue, but outside of that, it becomes a bit problematic.

My kids are both grown and on their own. What I see in parents today is that they seem to shy away from instilling discipline in their children. Don't be afraid to be strict with them, you are the parent. Another thing to realize is that when you and your kids are out in public not everyone you come in contact with will think you kids are as "cure" as you do. Just teach them to behave and mind you and all will be well.

T_O_B

Yes! You are the parent...you say...the kid does. Period.

If not, you make their life miserable...not the other way around

T_O_B

Yes! You are the parent...you say...the kid does. Period.

If not, you make their life miserable...not the other way around

With that said...I played video games all the time as a kid and I am sure most of us did until around high school. I don't think its a problem. Heck, I have a student that reads sooooo much, that I have been told by the kids family to "NOT LET THEM READ" during any free time that we have at school.