TA Needs to Help OLine by Being In The Pocket

Mavric

Issues being specifically locking in on receivers, not progressing through reads, having a hard time hitting routes to the flats or screens and the pocket presence mentioned above.

I have gone back and watched parts of the game a few times since it ended. Tommy did some really good things today in regards to your prior complaints. He did lock on to Kenny on the INT, but made some noticeable improvements. Tommy made it through is progression a few times and checked down to Ameer in the middle of the field once for a great gain. He also made a decent throw to Kenny in the flat for 10-12 yards. I think his pocket presence is improving, too.

I actually think Kenny was his second choice on that INT. He actually threw the ball into the "area" of Kenny, expecting for him to be able to make a play. What he didn't know was that Kenny was out of bounds. Maybe I am wrong, but I do remember seeing Tommy get a look somewhere else before throwing the pick. Also, if he truly locked onto Kenny, then he doesn't throw that ball Kenny's way because Kenny was pushed out of bounds way before Tommy threw it.

Although, he does have that tendency, as all QB's do in progression reads.

Subsequently, Tommy did step into the pocket on that pick.

• Fire 1

Issues being specifically locking in on receivers, not progressing through reads, having a hard time hitting routes to the flats or screens and the pocket presence mentioned above.

I have gone back and watched parts of the game a few times since it ended. Tommy did some really good things today in regards to your prior complaints. He did lock on to Kenny on the INT, but made some noticeable improvements. Tommy made it through is progression a few times and checked down to Ameer in the middle of the field once for a great gain. He also made a decent throw to Kenny in the flat for 10-12 yards. I think his pocket presence is improving, too.

I actually think Kenny was his second choice on that INT. He actually threw the ball into the "area" of Kenny, expecting for him to be able to make a play. What he didn't know was that Kenny was out of bounds. Maybe I am wrong, but I do remember seeing Tommy get a look somewhere else before throwing the pick. Also, if he truly locked onto Kenny, then he doesn't throw that ball Kenny's way because Kenny was pushed out of bounds way before Tommy threw it.

Although, he does have that tendency, as all QB's do in progression reads.

Subsequently, Tommy did step into the pocket on that pick.

x2. I thought that Tommy was looking at the other flanker on the other side of the field and flipped over to where he THOUGHT KB would be and launched it right to RU cornerback.

Of course TA is no Peyton Manning. But Manning is an example of a guy who knows how to work the pocket in a spread offense. And do a hell of a lot of other things well.

I don't know if I would draw so many conclusions about this game as far as this goes. Rutgers got hardly any pressure on TA all day. NW even had a better pass rush than them, and noticeably at that.

I want to see how he handles a decent pass rush.

After Mavric posted the above, I watched TA today and he did actually seem to step up into the pocket. I also thought I saw him pump once and progress through some reads. I guess having time in the pocket and not feeling like you are about to get sacked does that. It gives me hope that (given time) he has the mindset and abilities to do those things. I would like to see him do it against a stout D. As someone mentioned in another thread, put him a green jersey and let the 1's get after him in practice to simulate an attacking D.

Overall. I do agree that he looked much mor polished and relaxed. Made some good throws in the middle of the field.

Kept an eye out for this in real time today, not sure it's really a significant issue. :shrug:

Totally different today than the Northwestern game. Just about every pass in Northwestern game was a 9+ yard drop back. Today, I think I only noticed one that was that deep. Everything else, TA hardly dropped back from the original 5 yards at all. It must have been something they worked on this week.