Kenny Wilson

I have to give the edge to lucky right now because he has a year in the system.

I think that's the only edge that Lucky has right now. Wilson had a couple years in JC, and he played a lot, while Lucky was at the higher level, with less playing time. Wilson is also the bigger back, but I think their speeds are close. This RB battle could be a good one. I think Wilson will win it by the 3rd game.

I think wilson has a very good shot at winning it. What I like about him is that he is a big back with speed. He kind of reminds me of an adrian peterson.

Wilson turning heads!

link

Saturday, Jul 15, 2006 - 12:30:14 am CDT

This may sound like something from the “my friend’s cousin’s roommate’s sister’s boyfriend’s barber heard ...” files.

But this fourthhand information comes from people with real names and real titles, and people who would seem to know what’s up.

Kenny Wilson, Nebraska’s incoming junior college I-back, is having a phenomenal summer in “voluntary” workouts.

That’s the word from Wilson’s junior college coach, Troy Morrell, who heard it from Morrell’s offensive coordinator, Aaron Flores, who helped with NU’s summer camps and quarterback academy, who heard it from Jay Norvell, NU’s offensive coordinator, who gets the report from strength and conditioning coach Dave Kennedy.

So, there’s the scoop:

“They are very excited about him,” said Morrell, head coach at Butler County (Kan.) Community College. “And (Flores) said Coach Norvell says those (strength and conditioning) guys never say anything good about a newcomer.”

Now, just exactly what Wilson will do come fall camp, when it comes to learning the offense, picking up blitzes, blocking, etc., remains to be seen. But the hype over Wilson’s 6-foot, 220-pound frame and 10.4-second electronic time in the 100 meters is very real.

“He can flat run,” Morrell said. “He’s just got exceptional speed, great burst for a guy his size. He’s a big-time player and a special athlete.

“The best thing about Kenny, he’s always humble, and he always wants to get better, which reminds me of Rudi Johnson when he was with us.”

That turned out well. Johnson has nearly 4,000 career rushing yards in five years with the Cincinnati Bengals.

If Morrell sounds excited, there’s a reason. There could be as many as four former Butler County players in Nebraska’s starting offensive lineup this fall.

Zac Taylor appears poised for a special season at quarterback. Wilson, who averaged 10.2 yards per carry last year at Butler, will battle Cody Glenn and Marlon Lucky for the starting I-back job. Frantz Hardy, statistically, is Nebraska’s third-best returning receiver and reportedly has been very impressive in 7-on-7 drills this summer. Even Justin Tomerlin, Morrell said, is already among the top two at tight end, with the starting spot, of course, dependent on Matt Herian’s progress in his recovery from injury.

“It makes us all very, very proud of Butler,” said Morrell, who has an overall record of 62-9 and conference record of 55-4 in six years with Butler County. “That’s our job, to try to prepare those guys to go on to the next level to be successful. That lets me know that our coaches and instructors are doing their jobs.”

In addition to his praise for Wilson, Morrell had an equally impressive report — from Flores, via Taylor — on Hardy.

“Just according to Zac, (Hardy) has really stepped up and is starting to become more comfortable in the offense,” Morrell said. “It’s like the old Frantz when he was at Butler. And I can see that, because of the learning curve that he had to go through. He didn’t exactly catch on to everything here and make the adjustment the way he should have (right away).”

Hardy came to NU with the reputation as a speedy guy with a penchant for the deep ball. But Hardy, who caught 25 passes for 349 yards and one touchdown last season, struggled at times in getting off the line of scrimmage.

“Now, according to Zac, you can’t touch him in a phone booth,” Morrell said. “He’s got that quickness back.”

And concerning Taylor ... well, what else can be said?

“I think he’s on tap to have a great, great season,” Morrell said. “What a great kid, a great worker, a great leader. He made our season, that 2004 year, when we went to the national championship game, because we had such a young team, and nobody expected us to do as well as we did.

“I think he can leave Nebraska on that same kind of level.”

Because of Taylor’s success adapting to systems — first at Butler County, then Nebraska — Morrell believes he can look forward to an NFL opportunity.

“With Coach (Bill) Callahan and the type of system they run there,” he said, “it’s going to help him prepare to get to that type of level.”

I would put a lot of money on Kenny Wilson playing this year and being a huge contributor to this offense! Scott Downing whom was in charge of his recruitment has always said that there is no way that Kenny Wilson will not see the field this season. I am so pumped up about this season and our stable of running backs. It's going to be something fierce!I gotta tell ya I feel real bad for Texas and USC! I know ... I know... My wife tells me that too. She tells me that it's the drunk Nick and that it's the alcohol talking but, it's not! I really can see dead Texas and USC players. Let's call it a sixth sense if you will! Kenny Wilson is a beast! Nuff said! :restore:restore:restore:restore:band:band:horns:horns:horns2:horns2:cheers:power:power:bluffs :spooners :hookerhorns

I feel the same way, especially about SC being dead. It will be their second game, but their first home game. I can see them starting out fired up, but then thinking this is the Huskers, o well, if we make a big play or something. I think we will really get them in the second half, with some huge defensive play, maybe resulting in a TD.

I don't see him leaving after one year since he has to battle with four other backs that are going to see some time.

this is why i think he is one and done.

:huh:

If he is sharing time and not even starting till mid-season possibly, how is he going to be a one and done? I don't buy it.

heh, im not selling anything. just giving my opinion. its free! i should have stated my reasoning.

I think that in the end, he will be one and done. He is getting tutelage from General Taylor himself. I think the RB battle will be won by either KW or BJax. However, If they have a committee, he isnt one and done. but i dont think they will have a committee.

If the offense can stay on the field better than last year, we will be able to give everybody some touches. but if we do have a RB committee, it will be in 07 because we will be breaking in a new QB.

heh, im not selling anything. just giving my opinion. its free! i should have stated my reasoning.

I think that in the end, he will be one and done. He is getting tutelage from General Taylor himself. I think the RB battle will be won by either KW or BJax. However, If they have a committee, he isnt one and done. but i dont think they will have a committee.

If the offense can stay on the field better than last year, we will be able to give everybody some touches. but if we do have a RB committee, it will be in 07 because we will be breaking in a new QB.

That's interesting you thing BJax will be in the mix. I just don't see him being involved in the rb's that much anymore. Maybe he will be the dark horse next year. He does have 2 years in the system. IMO I think he will end up a special teams player or situational player. He didn't get the ball that much last year, maybe because of his injury. All I know is that we have 5 potentially good rb's. In the spring game I thought Lucky and Glenn looked the best.

I think they need to try to redshirt one or even two of them to try to extend their careers because it will be awefully hard to get 5 rb's playing time this and next year.

KW = the next Adrian Peterson.

KW = Might go pro after 1 year at Nebraska.

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves a bit here?

Instead of his 10.3 or 10.4 100M time, I would like to know his SAT score to see if and when he can pick up the playbook a little bit. The fact that he started off at Butler is a little cause for concern to me, quite frankly.

I'm looking forward to seeing KW against some quality competition. Wonder who will have the bigger hype machine during fall camp = KW or Marlon?

For me, I'll be rooting for the C-Train to run over some more defenders. More hype for KW and Marlon will just motivate the C-Train even more.