What is our second most impressive win?

The difference between Dirk Chatelain and my post is, Dirk gets paid to write mirrors of what we write here so we'll click on his stories. Nobody pays me a dime to write that.It's disheartening that people can't grasp what Dirk does for a living.

i care more about content than alleged intent.
We provide the content, that's the genius.

EDIT - and if it's more palatable, trade "troll" for "trawl." Either way, he's casting a net crafted by message boards, hoping to snare some tuna. And he's one hell of a fisherman.

Step 1 - cruise through four or five message boards.Step 2 - take notes on the hot-button topics.Step 3 - basically regurgitate what's been said there using your writing gift to make it seem fresh and new.Step 4 - Profit!This is not new, it is not an indictment, it is not a critique. It simply is what it is.And we still don't have two impressive wins.

So since I have the exact same degree as Dirk from the same place, does this mean Huskerboard is going to start paying me since I said our schedule sucked in July?

• Fire 2

It's funny I'm being held to a higher editorial standard than a professional news person.

This isn't rocket science.

Dirk writes what he sees people griping about around the webz. It's troll bait, trawling with a huge net for clicks, and it works. The factors he's talking about ignore the VAST majority of why we left the Big XII and the VAST majority of what we gained by joining the Big Ten (*HINT* IT'S THE CIC *HINT*), not to mention the myriad upgrades in Olympic sports.

But let's pretend the story has nothing to do with UNL as a viable academic institution, nothing to do with any other sport than football. Focusing solely on football, TODAY the Big XII seems more fun than the Big Ten. Mostly that's a "grass is always greener" bias because top to bottom the Big Ten isn't different than the Big XII, but people judge their own team/circumstances much more harshly than they do other teams. So the bias is there, the Big XII has some luster, people are pining for the Good Old Days that Dirk wrote about where we played those great conference rivals TCU and Baylor - and we're all so envious of West Virginia.

Because TCU, Kansas State and Baylor are all likely to remain near the top of college football like they are today, because historically they've all been enviable programs with really, really long stretches of relevance.

Or maybe not, and this is where we start to think critically about things and roll our eyes a bit about the absurdity of envying West Virginia about anything.

So again, let's pretend the Big XII wasn't formed by Kansas State, Iowa State and Kansas running scared of Nebraska's 1990s dominance. Let's pretend that Texas wasn't a hired gun, that Texas politics didn't ruin the SWC and that the Big XII wasn't always anything other than a whore's bargain of cash and uncomfortable bedfellows. For the sake of argument we'll just pretend that Nebraska's 15 years in a conference solely created to make money wasn't anything other than a sham.

Still, the premise that we should envy West Virginia about anything, that they somehow got the better end of the deal on conference realignment, is patently absurd.

It ignores the vast upgrade in sports Nebraska hangs their hats on. We're a football school, and we're in a conference with massive fan bases, massive alumni bases, massive cash pools and massive TV reach. We're also a Women's Volleyball school, and the Big Ten is an upgrade over the Big XII by orders of magnitude. We're what else? Baseball? Meh - kinda. Not while Buck Beltzer field was our home, for umpteen dozen years, but even pretending our national irrelevance prior to Dave Van Horn's arrival didn't exist, we're naifs on the national stage. But even giving that, that's one sport we've downgraded in. We upgraded in Basketball, both Men's and Women's, just in time to open our fancy-schmancy new arena and herald in our spiffy, spunky new coach.

What other sport do we care about in this state that's a downgrade for UNL in the Big Ten? Hockey? Hmm... there's an interesting thought. Big XII isn't much of a hockey conference.

But I digress.

Football is the cash cow. It's the premier sport on orders of magnitude greater than any other sport. And even in Football, this conference isn't far off the Big XII.

Iowa State is a mess. Kansas is a mess. West Virginia is as sexy as a sweaty sow right now. We're going to get more excited to play TCU than who on our schedule? I'll take Wisconsin, thanks. Baylor? They're the Boise State of today, destined to fall back to irrelevance sooner rather than later. Michigan will win a national championship before Baylor does. So will Ohio State. So will Penn State, most likely.

Oklahoma is half a sack of crap right now. Texas is the other half. Missouri, for whom fans have suddenly begun (laughably) to wax nostalgic, is gone. So is Colorado, although they're beyond awful anyway. We're pining away for Oklahoma State maybe? I'll take Northwestern over them, and a trip to Chicago rather than Oklahoma City, any day.

So the premise that West Virginia, who will have to play TCU and Baylor five years from now when they're going 3-9, is somehow one-upping Nebraska, who will play Michigan and Ohio State in five years... yeah, that's a bunch of crap.

That's the absurdity of what Dirk is saying. But people lapped it up. In the immediacy of this moment, amidst this schlock schedule, it got play. But I shine a light on it, who's judged more harshly? Me, the bloke writing this stuff for free or the guy getting paid for it?

Who's jerking people around? And who's being defended here?

• Fire 3

The almighty Sagarin Predictor (simplest best power ranking you can use) says our second best win is at #70 Northwestern. Here's how they rank in order:

30 Miami

70 Northwestern

78 Purdue

89 Rutgers

92 Illinois

100 Fresno State

109 McNeese State

138 Florida Atlantic

yikes...

• Fire 1

That's the absurdity of what Dirk is saying. But people lapped it up. In the immediacy of this moment, amidst this schlock schedule, it got play. But I shine a light on it, who's judged more harshly? Me, the bloke writing this stuff for free or the guy getting paid for it?

how would i judge dirk for an article on a different website?

Please report any rules violations of which I'm guilty to either the other Mods or the Admins.

Otherwise take this personal gripe to the Shed.

i am just trying to figure it out. what you actually mean. like i said, i do not care about alleged intent as much as content.

i am just honestly trying to figure out what you mean. the first post seemed sarcastic, then things got weird.

• Fire 1

It's funny I'm being held to a higher editorial standard than a professional news person.

This isn't rocket science.

Dirk writes what he sees people griping about around the webz. It's troll bait, trawling with a huge net for clicks, and it works. The factors he's talking about ignore the VAST majority of why we left the Big XII and the VAST majority of what we gained by joining the Big Ten (*HINT* IT'S THE CIC *HINT*), not to mention the myriad upgrades in Olympic sports.

But let's pretend the story has nothing to do with UNL as a viable academic institution, nothing to do with any other sport than football. Focusing solely on football, TODAY the Big XII seems more fun than the Big Ten. Mostly that's a "grass is always greener" bias because top to bottom the Big Ten isn't different than the Big XII, but people judge their own team/circumstances much more harshly than they do other teams. So the bias is there, the Big XII has some luster, people are pining for the Good Old Days that Dirk wrote about where we played those great conference rivals TCU and Baylor - and we're all so envious of West Virginia.

Because TCU, Kansas State and Baylor are all likely to remain near the top of college football like they are today, because historically they've all been enviable programs with really, really long stretches of relevance.

Or maybe not, and this is where we start to think critically about things and roll our eyes a bit about the absurdity of envying West Virginia about anything.

So again, let's pretend the Big XII wasn't formed by Kansas State, Iowa State and Kansas running scared of Nebraska's 1990s dominance. Let's pretend that Texas wasn't a hired gun, that Texas politics didn't ruin the SWC and that the Big XII wasn't always anything other than a whore's bargain of cash and uncomfortable bedfellows. For the sake of argument we'll just pretend that Nebraska's 15 years in a conference solely created to make money wasn't anything other than a sham.

Still, the premise that we should envy West Virginia about anything, that they somehow got the better end of the deal on conference realignment, is patently absurd.

It ignores the vast upgrade in sports Nebraska hangs their hats on. We're a football school, and we're in a conference with massive fan bases, massive alumni bases, massive cash pools and massive TV reach. We're also a Women's Volleyball school, and the Big Ten is an upgrade over the Big XII by orders of magnitude. We're what else? Baseball? Meh - kinda. Not while Buck Beltzer field was our home, for umpteen dozen years, but even pretending our national irrelevance prior to Dave Van Horn's arrival didn't exist, we're naifs on the national stage. But even giving that, that's one sport we've downgraded in. We upgraded in Basketball, both Men's and Women's, just in time to open our fancy-schmancy new arena and herald in our spiffy, spunky new coach.

What other sport do we care about in this state that's a downgrade for UNL in the Big Ten? Hockey? Hmm... there's an interesting thought. Big XII isn't much of a hockey conference.

But I digress.

Football is the cash cow. It's the premier sport on orders of magnitude greater than any other sport. And even in Football, this conference isn't far off the Big XII.

Iowa State is a mess. Kansas is a mess. West Virginia is as sexy as a sweaty sow right now. We're going to get more excited to play TCU than who on our schedule? I'll take Wisconsin, thanks. Baylor? They're the Boise State of today, destined to fall back to irrelevance sooner rather than later. Michigan will win a national championship before Baylor does. So will Ohio State. So will Penn State, most likely.

Oklahoma is half a sack of crap right now. Texas is the other half. Missouri, for whom fans have suddenly begun (laughably) to wax nostalgic, is gone. So is Colorado, although they're beyond awful anyway. We're pining away for Oklahoma State maybe? I'll take Northwestern over them, and a trip to Chicago rather than Oklahoma City, any day.

So the premise that West Virginia, who will have to play TCU and Baylor five years from now when they're going 3-9, is somehow one-upping Nebraska, who will play Michigan and Ohio State in five years... yeah, that's a bunch of crap.

Who's jerking people around? And who's being defended here?

This.