Smoking (not NUance's lame cigar thread. Lame.)

I'e never used any of those fancy Traeger or pellet machines. Always old school charcoal. We built a vertical, 3 shelf smoker that is about a 28" diameter vertical tube. Have about 10" to 12" between shelves. Can get a bunch of meat in there at once. Mounted well thermometers in the side walls so have some idea what the ambient temp is. It works great but you can't really walk away and forget about it. Constantly adding more smoking wood or charcoal. Try to keep it around 200 degrees for most everything. Have had really good results with pork butts, brisket, turkeys, and hams.

Other things we've smoked that were awesome-

Fresh side (this is bacon that has not been processed) awesome to just smoke it for about 1 hour.

Corned Beef Brisket. Smoke it once, then slice it, and smoke or grill the slices until they are a little carmelized. OMG.

Leg of lamb or lamb roast. Was awesome but doesn't keep like pulled pork or brisket. Eat it all and don't refrigerate.

Jalapeno Sausage, only takes about 1.5 hrs. We use King Soopers (Kroger) brand and it's great.

Btw, hormel pork is Nightmare Meat Tube of Death.

first time i smoked ribs was with that bagged pork from hormel. man, those were terrible. i was crushed. i was hoping my meat sweats would be victorious, they were just sad.

Yes. Really gross. I'm not sure if it's whatever mystery solution they inject to "enhance" the flavor or what . . . but the local butcher shops and Costco both blow that sh!t out of the water.

It is the "flavor" solution. Pork (and a lot of beef, some chicken) from the grocery store is injected with a salt/msg solution causing the meat to absorb 15%+ more water. After this, the pork is deep frozen to kill trichinosis. Together these destroy the tissues and remove the natural juices. It increases store profits since you are paying for an extra 1-2 lbs of water weight.

Warehouse, local butcher, or local farmer are the best options if didn't raise the animal yourself.

As far as the foil, that's makes a big difference. I also get better bark on pork roasts using cider vinegar or fresh citrus juice. Use in the marinade or if doing a dry rub, I'll rinse over the outside then let the roast sit for ~1 hour before applying the rub.

Carlfense - what is the brand/model wireless thermometer you use? You like it other than the probe issue?

Then, I have a cooker that...let's say....is a little over board for most people. I can fit 200-300 lbs of meat on it and I have had it packed full for certain events. Usually, I use it to cook anywhere from 50 - 200 lbs of something like pulled pork. I'll put the butts on around 5:30 - 6:00 am. pour the smoke to it around 225 - 250 degrees. Then, around noon I will wrap it in aluminum foil and keep cooking it till 3:00 - 4:00pm. You know it's done when a digital thermometer reaches 195 degrees. Or, when you can pull the bone out clean.

Did you buy it or build it? Spring project (if I can get there) is building an outddor smoker/pizza oven/kitchen. Would love to hear more about this setup :-)

Carlfense - what is the brand/model wireless thermometer you use? You like it other than the probe issue?

This one: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/maverick-et-732-redi-check

It's great. I haven't had issues yet but if you read enough reviews the probe failure seems to be pretty common. It's nice to just set on the bar or coffee table on a football saturday and know at a glance what is going on outside. It's even better being able to leave the smoker on over night and just keep the remote thermometer on the nightstand. You can either wake up and check it every few hours or just set minimum-maximum alerts that will wake you up if either the smoker or the meat is getting too hot or cold.

Ha ha! Yeah, it's sort of lame alright. Hey, I tried. I guess there aren't that many cigar smokers on HB. Or none that care to post about it anyway.

But I like the idea of this smoker thread. I've been thinking I should get one. Looks fun!

• Fire 1

Ha ha! Yeah, it's sort of lame alright. Hey, I tried. I guess there aren't that many cigar smokers on HB. Or none that care to post about it anyway.

But I like the idea of this smoker thread. I've been thinking I should get one. Looks fun!

I think that it was the OP that was the problem . . .

I think that it was the OP that was the problem . . .

Yeah, probly. Oh well. :lol:

• Fire 1

This one: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/maverick-et-732-redi-check

It's great. I haven't had issues yet but if you read enough reviews the probe failure seems to be pretty common. It's nice to just set on the bar or coffee table on a football saturday and know at a glance what is going on outside. It's even better being able to leave the smoker on over night and just keep the remote thermometer on the nightstand. You can either wake up and check it every few hours or just set minimum-maximum alerts that will wake you up if either the smoker or the meat is getting too hot or cold.

Thx! Will have to put that on the Christmas list ;-)

I may not be a football expert, but I do have a little something to contribute here. I have over 30 years smoking experience and have owned most styles of pits and taught many people how to use smokers and do that "perfect" brisket. My current lineup consists of a Cookshack FEC 100 pellet, Traeger BBQ 75 pellet, Cookshack 55 electric, 2 20" Pro Q (WSM-style charcoal), and an old offset stick burner.

I love sharing ideas and helping people turn out good food.

I may not be a football expert, but I do have a little something to contribute here. I have over 30 years smoking experience and have owned most styles of pits and taught many people how to use smokers and do that "perfect" brisket. My current lineup consists of a Cookshack FEC 100 pellet, Traeger BBQ 75 pellet, Cookshack 55 electric, 2 20" Pro Q (WSM-style charcoal), and an old offset stick burner.

What's your best tip?

What's your best tip?

Relax. Have a beer and keep the damn lid closed. Resist the the urge to hover, and did I mention to keep the damn lid closed? :-). It'll be fine.

• Fire 1

Then, I have a cooker that...let's say....is a little over board for most people. I can fit 200-300 lbs of meat on it and I have had it packed full for certain events. Usually, I use it to cook anywhere from 50 - 200 lbs of something like pulled pork. I'll put the butts on around 5:30 - 6:00 am. pour the smoke to it around 225 - 250 degrees. Then, around noon I will wrap it in aluminum foil and keep cooking it till 3:00 - 4:00pm. You know it's done when a digital thermometer reaches 195 degrees. Or, when you can pull the bone out clean.

Good god man. Is it one of those trailer mounted rigs?

I start checking pork at 195 but I usually pull it out right at 200 degrees. That might just be my thermometer being off . . .

Yes, it's a trailer.

All the experts say to take it to 190. I always still find some roasts that don't pull at that so I try to get to 195. I'm fine with going to 200 too.

Always use a digital thermometer.

Colo....

Yes, I designed it and various friends who know how to weld have helped out.

If I were to do it again, I would have built it differently but I know it well enough that I can cook a lot of good food on it.

My dream is to own one of these.

http://langbbqsmokers.com/

I generally shoot for 195 with my butts, but if it starts getting very much over 200, you start having a very real chance of mushy meat. If the probe on my thermapen glides into the meat almost resistance-free, I'll take them off, make sure that they're wrapped in foil, and let them rest in an insulated cooler or cambro before pulling. Temp is just a guideline to get you close. I always do a visual and feel the meat with the probe. It gets easier with each cook.

I built a faux log cabin on a 20' equipment trailer with a vending window out the back. I still have to finish off the inside. The smoker goes on the front, under the overhang. This keeps me from having to have a hood and halon system. I need to just get motivated and finish it off.