Could Osborne do it?

KazLong

Return to power running. The B1G environment doesn't lend itself to pass first IMO (weather/cold). Establish a physical down hill running attack the punishes and hurts people in its physicality. Develop an identity and recruit to it. Run a limited set of plays from multiple sets. Use the TE and FB. Get a QB who can beat you with his feet and has a serviceable arm for screens and play action. Get so you can run the plays in your sleep. Flawlessly.

On defense, scrap the 2 gap. Get LB's who can run. CB's who can play physical at the line. Safeties who are headhunters. Again, develop a ball hawking attacking mentality. Give up a big play to blitz and lay the QB out. I remember in the 1990's thinking any QB who left the "relative" safety of the pocket stood a good chance of getting knocked out of the game. bring this back. Go to the whistle and then some. Play mean. Play nasty. Play fearless.

Coaching-devlop depth by recruiting to your style. If a guy messes up, sit and teach. Immediately. Teach and then teach some more. Make it where athletes can play in year one,not year 3. Make holding the players accountable to each other a priority. Get a competent staff and listen to them. Embrace the fans, don't alienate them...

To add, TO was a good man, great character and no nonsense, BUT he did get some "questionable" kids. The anger guys played with wasn't necessarily taught. They came angry.........Recruit some of those "questionable" kids with clear expectations and requirements....To the point of the OP, I think TO would still recruit those "project" kids. He helped a lot of them........

Before Osborne won all of those championships, I remember how the big money donors were growing unhappy with him. They felt the game had passed him by and that Nebraska couldn't get its hands on the players it needed to win the big games. Osborne never changed his philosophy. The only thing that changed was the quality of players on the sidelines. In my opinion, the 1995 team in particular was one of the most stacked teams in college football history. What we need is a coach like Osborne who thinks about the big picture and gets the players he needs to implement his vision.

Never changed philosophy? So revamping the defense in the early 90s by going to a 4-3. Making corners safeties. Making safeties linebackers and making linebackers de's wasnt a change in philosophy? Influxing the defensive side of the ball with necessary speed and athletes to not only compete with, but later dominate the upper tier programs around the country isnt a change in philosophy? Putting a dedication to strength and conditioning, nutritition and psychology (unity council)to not only offset locational shortcomings and being the most innovative program in such fields, but create huge intangible advantage isnt changing philosphy.

Those teams in the 90's had no more overall talent in relation to the rest of the country than any other Osborne teams. The program just "had its sh#t together". Osborne had a line in the sand moment in 1990. I thought Bo had his last November. I thought wrong.

Read this. you'll know exactly what i'm talking about.

61rL0R29zPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

It explains how there was a massive shift in culture and philosphy on numerous levels within the Nebraska program in the early 90's, leading to the most dominate perioud in the history of the game.

• Fire 1

Thanks for the book suggestion. I have been meaning to buy the book 100 things every Nebraska fan should know. I will replace my request with local book store to get this instead! This will also make a good passive aggressive book gift to my Iowa Fan relatives for Christmas lol.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I have been meaning to buy the book 100 things every Nebraska fan should know. I will replace my request with local book store to get this instead! This will also make a good passive aggressive book gift to my Iowa Fan relatives for Christmas lol.

Im into the second volume.

For the second time.

Before Osborne won all of those championships, I remember how the big money donors were growing unhappy with him. They felt the game had passed him by and that Nebraska couldn't get its hands on the players it needed to win the big games. Osborne never changed his philosophy. The only thing that changed was the quality of players on the sidelines. In my opinion, the 1995 team in particular was one of the most stacked teams in college football history. What we need is a coach like Osborne who thinks about the big picture and gets the players he needs to implement his vision.

Never changed philosophy? So revamping the defense in the early 90s by going to a 4-3. Making corners safeties. Making safeties linebackers and making linebackers de's wasnt a change in philosophy? Influxing the defensive side of the ball with necessary speed and athletes to not only compete with, but later dominate the upper tier programs around the country isnt a change in philosophy? Putting a dedication to strength and conditioning, nutritition and psychology (unity council)to not only offset locational shortcomings and being the most innovative program in such fields, but create huge intangible advantage isnt changing philosphy.

Those teams in the 90's had no more overall talent in relation to the rest of the country than any other Osborne teams. The program just "had its sh#t together". Osborne had a line in the sand moment in 1990. I thought Bo had his last November. I thought wrong.

Read this. you'll know exactly what i'm talking about.

61rL0R29zPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

It explains how there was a massive shift in culture and philosphy on numerous levels within the Nebraska program in the early 90's, leading to the most dominate perioud in the history of the game.

To say nothing of the offensive changes. Gill, Rozier and Rogers did not run the same offense as Frazier and Frost. He changed to the Wishbone/Triple Option after he couldn't beat Oklahoma, who was running it.

What didn't change was toughness, accountability and attention to detail.

Tom wouldn't be able to put in the necessary hours. As much as it stings to say it, this program needs to move on from TO.

Embrace your history. Just dont live in it. That's gotta be the mantra of this coaching search. Let's modernize and revolutionize. Get back.

I don't think that anybody is really considering TO seriously. They're just engaging in hypothetical conversation. I really don't want to be argumentative, but in my humble opinion, "modernizing and revolutionizing" instead of embracing our former identity essentially is what has kept us in this mess for the past decade. A lot of us want to go back to the style of football that created all of the tradition that made this program great. Back to the future.