Why Pelini will NOT be fired

A guy named Devaney came to town and went 8-3 with mostly Jennings' talent.

Bob Devaney went 9 - 2 his first year.

Just keepin the record straight.

And won the conference in his 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons. Won it outright 7 of 11 years and share of it one other year.

When I, an average Joe with a somewhat unhealthy obsession with football strategy and coaching techniques (I read a lot of coaching books...) but no experience as a coach looks at what's happening on the field and reads between the lines and knows all isn't kosher in the locker room, feels like I could do a better job at just about any position from position coach to head coach on either side of the ball... something is drastically wrong.

I've seen and read about top programs. Some of the stuff I see out of Oregon, tOSU, Bama, Auburn, Baylor, and other top 10 programs I never would have thought of until I've seen it on the field. The mentality and drive expressed by those coaching staff and players is top notch, and I understand how to implement in a program, but to see a strong deficiency in the team I love is so frustrating. I truly feel I could do better. I know I'll never get the chance to coach at Nebraska, not unless I somehow manage to get 10 plus years of coaching experience and success under my belt (and I'm only 25, I've got the time and I've volunteered at a local private school: don't need a public teaching certification to coach at a private school, but I'm also working on earning an education bachelor's...)

But if I could do a better job, this coaching staff needs to be changed from top to bottom. I won't be satisfied with the Huskers until I feel I couldn't do better. And at this point, just about any change should accomplish that.

Totally agree, if we do it. It has to scream we want to win. No more on the job training, no more he is a Nebraska man. We need experience, high moral fiber, someone grandma can wrap her arms around so to speak, recruiting wizard and someone all of us can be proud of. Clean up the mess this is from every aspect and make recruits know that Nebraska wants to win, plans to win and will win the important games. Not just smoke and numbers.

Let's rewind a little, shall we?

Just 3 short months ago, Shawn Eichorst spoke to the AP about Pelini's job status:

"Eichorst told The Associated Press that the program is stable and that the Huskers have a seasoned coach who has won a bunch of games."

Eichorst' stance is very matter of fact. Win or lose this Friday against Iowa, and whether we like it or not - Bo Pelini will be the head coach moving forward.

Source: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11349057/bo-pelini-nebraska-cornhuskers-backed-athletic-director-shawn-eichorst

Just gonna keep saying it in as many threads as I can.

If you like the sellout streak, you should be on the side of having a new coach in six days.

Yep, that's what it comes down to. Cub style manipulation of a fan base. We are caught between Scylla and Charybdis.

I don't think Eichorst will fire Bo until after the bowl game. Losing to Iowa and losing whatever crappy bowl we go to would just further cement him being fired.

Firings aren't made after bowl games. Our best hope is that we play in The Interim Coaches Bowl.

I don't think Eichorst will fire Bo until after the bowl game. Losing to Iowa and losing whatever crappy bowl we go to would just further cement him being fired.

Firings aren't made after bowl games. Our best hope is that we play in The Interim Coaches Bowl.

If we're in the Interim Coaches Bowl, would we be playing Michigan or Florida? Or would it be some other program at has had a change in head coach but has actually become bowl eligible?

Let's rewind a little, shall we?

Just 3 short months ago, Shawn Eichorst spoke to the AP about Pelini's job status:

"Eichorst told The Associated Press that the program is stable and that the Huskers have a seasoned coach who has won a bunch of games."

Eichorst' stance is very matter of fact. Win or lose this Friday against Iowa, and whether we like it or not - Bo Pelini will be the head coach moving forward.

Source: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11349057/bo-pelini-nebraska-cornhuskers-backed-athletic-director-shawn-eichorst

Just gonna keep saying it in as many threads as I can.

If you like the sellout streak, you should be on the side of having a new coach in six days.

Yep, that's what it comes down to. Cub style manipulation of a fan base. We are caught between Scylla and Charybdis.

thanks, edith hamilton.

What success has Bo had?

If he keeps him I think he will point to Bo having 9+ wins a season and the improvements made since the BC era.

Will point at the 3 conference title game appearances.

Probably going to make a mention of the academic record and discipline record of Husker players under Pelini.

I do want to stress that I do not believe these things, just stating what I think Eichorst may say.

I personally think that something needs to change and that the current status quo is not acceptable.

If Eichorst doesn't fire BO and comes out with the above as his justification, Husker Nation will consume itself. And the sellout streak, the one truly great thing we still possess, will end.

Agreed. As I stated in a earlier thread SE is fortunate that the Minnesota game was the last home game of the season. Obviously the sell out streak would've still been in tact, since tickets were purchased prior to the season, but I guarantee there would've been a large amount of empty seats. I think changes will be made on the account that SE does not want to be known as the AD that saw the sell-out streak end on his watch, especially in his first few years. This is in addition to the blatantly obvious fact that Bo is less than competitive in the games that matter.

For sure, I agree with every part of your post.

Hypothetically, if Eichorst fails to act this year and the sellout streak ends next season, he needs to be fired too (and perhaps others as well). The sellout streak cannot be allowed to die.

So SE is just a lackey.

I am curious how many posters on this site hold season tickets?

There are obviously a good bunch, but the people who are the loudest on here do not have season tickets. Go to the game log and start checking off names.

Like others I am fed up with Bo, but am not ready to give up my tickets!

"Go Cubs go. Go Cubs go. Hey Chicago what do you say the Cubs are going to win today."

I support Bo but I think the losses against Wisconsin and Minnesota have changed things. His apparent sidelinie rants on some players, Ron Brown, and Joe Ganz are indications that the wheels might be coming off. His take down on the black shirt tradition (reported that some players gave them back and Gregory was not especially awed by his) is a symptom of deeper problems. I don't think he will get fired this year but he loses to Iowa- he may be in serious trouble.

I would expect that Bo will be on a one year warning notice after the bowl time is past. Bo has had 7 years and he continues to get the same results. Some good games, some mediocre games and a few very humiliating losses. Unfortunately, the losses ususally come agains top 25 teams proving that we are not improving enough for Husker standards or for high quality recruiting prestige.

Bo has done well with the academics and discipline but the win-lose results need to improve. We need to be a top 10 calibre team. National Championships are great but first we need respect and that means being a top 10 calibre team. Something in the mix needs to change for us to improve. I think new coordinators, especially a defensive coordinator, is a must. Beyond that, the offensive line play has been weak since the late 90's. We need new offensive line coaches and more recruiting.

I think Bo had better make some changes this spring or he may part of the change after next year.

"Not improving enough"? We're going the other way, and the breaking news to show that SE understands this is that we just added Devry, The University of Phoenix, and the winner of the intramural flag football team to the schedule for the next 10 years. :)

What do you expect the AD to say at the beginning of a season?Last year was a tough season, and the response was to present a unified front. The AD made it clear that Nebraska was throwing more resources than ever before behind the program and that the current staff had all the support it needed. The current staff acknowledged this, there were many cat moments, and all in all the red carpet was laid out. All Bo had to do was go out and turn in a good year, a step forward, and a lot of wins.If that doesn't happen and this season again ends with a whimper, I can't see the AD doing that again. Last year was a not-so-subtle "one last chance." If Bo doesn't take a step forward, it'd be an endorsement of the status quo.The tricky gray area will be hit if Nebraska wins an uninspired, sloppy finale against Iowa. I can't see Bo being canned without the opportunity to break through #4losses. That just doesn't set up the next coach very well, in my opinion. Knowing our luck, that's exactly what's going to happen.

I expect Eichorst to feel the same as he did then. Bo isn't going anywhere. Shawn understands we're not going to win championships every year. This is his second season serving as Bo's boss and two winning seasons. For Pelini to save face IMO a full evaluation of his staff should be in order. I think you cut the weak links out. The coaches who are not on the same page up to this point and those who have made no improvements. I'm not going to point them out. It's pretty obvious which assistants need the pink slip. The question is whether Bo has the stones to make such a decision.

not a chance in hell........Bo's butt buddies will all stay...

When I, an average Joe with a somewhat unhealthy obsession with football strategy and coaching techniques (I read a lot of coaching books...) but no experience as a coach looks at what's happening on the field and reads between the lines and knows all isn't kosher in the locker room, feels like I could do a better job at just about any position from position coach to head coach on either side of the ball... something is drastically wrong.

I've seen and read about top programs. Some of the stuff I see out of Oregon, tOSU, Bama, Auburn, Baylor, and other top 10 programs I never would have thought of until I've seen it on the field. The mentality and drive expressed by those coaching staff and players is top notch, and I understand how to implement in a program, but to see a strong deficiency in the team I love is so frustrating. I truly feel I could do better. I know I'll never get the chance to coach at Nebraska, not unless I somehow manage to get 10 plus years of coaching experience and success under my belt (and I'm only 25, I've got the time and I've volunteered at a local private school: don't need a public teaching certification to coach at a private school, but I'm also working on earning an education bachelor's...)

But if I could do a better job, this coaching staff needs to be changed from top to bottom. I won't be satisfied with the Huskers until I feel I couldn't do better. And at this point, just about any change should accomplish that.

You got my vote.