Why Pelini will NOT be fired

Here's why he SHOULD be fired:

• The Huskers have lost three of their past four November home games.
• They’re 10-6 in November since joining the Big Ten in 2011, and that includes a 4-0 month in 2012.
• They’ve lost 10 games by 20-plus points since 2008.
• Here’s one more: Forgetting even the now-ancient history of the “Blackshirts,” Pelini’s background is as a defensive-oriented coach. But in Nebraska’s 15 losses since the 2011 season, it has allowed an average of 42.2 points in those defeats.
  • Fire 1

Let's rewind a little, shall we?

Just 3 short months ago, Shawn Eichorst spoke to the AP about Pelini's job status:

"Eichorst told The Associated Press that the program is stable and that the Huskers have a seasoned coach who has won a bunch of games."

Eichorst' stance is very matter of fact. Win or lose this Friday against Iowa, and whether we like it or not - Bo Pelini will be the head coach moving forward.

Source: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11349057/bo-pelini-nebraska-cornhuskers-backed-athletic-director-shawn-eichorst

This what we call AD-speak. Much like coach-speak. An AD is NOT gonna come out and do anything other than fully support the head coach right before the start of the season. Why is this such a tough concept to grasp?

• Fire 2

I honestly do not think he will be fired barring the Huskers getting blown out or playing very poorly against Iowa. I think Bo losing the last two games without getting blown out and finishing 8-5 may get him fired but I'm not sure it definitely will.

With a win or close loss vs Iowa, I think Eichorst will give Pelini another year. I think he will say that he is giving Bo another year because of the success he has had and that he will not fire a coach after one sub par year. I think he will say that he expects to see an improvement in the competitiveness of the team next year and that no coaching changes will be until after the 2015 season and that the coaching staff will be evaluated at the end of the year as per usual. He will give him a year to right the ship.

We blowout or play very well against Iowa and I don't think we will hear anything other than "coach speak" from Eichorst. just a blanket "Bo Pelini is and will remain the head coach at Nebraska and has my total support"

I don't think the Bowl game will make a difference in either direction.

I may be wrong but that is the gut feeling I have about this. I do think the Iowa game will have a big influence on the decision though.

I don't think Eichorst will fire Bo until after the bowl game. Losing to Iowa and losing whatever crappy bowl we go to would just further cement him being fired.

No. You fire him after Iowa, hire someone ASAP to try and salvage the recruiting cycle. No one waits until January!

Michigan did after Rich Rod, and they got Hoke. Seems to be a bad idea to wait.

I honestly do not think he will be fired barring the Huskers getting blown out or playing very poorly against Iowa. I think Bo losing the last two games without getting blown out and finishing 8-5 may get him fired but I'm not sure it definitely will.

With a win or close loss vs Iowa, I think Eichorst will give Pelini another year. I think he will say that he is giving Bo another year because of the success he has had and that he will not fire a coach after one sub par year. I think he will say that he expects to see an improvement in the competitiveness of the team next year and that no coaching changes will be until after the 2015 season and that the coaching staff will be evaluated at the end of the year as per usual. He will give him a year to right the ship.

We blowout or play very well against Iowa and I don't think we will hear anything other than "coach speak" from Eichorst. just a blanket "Bo Pelini is and will remain the head coach at Nebraska and has my total support"

I don't think the Bowl game will make a difference in either direction.

I may be wrong but that is the gut feeling I have about this. I do think the Iowa game will have a big influence on the decision though.

What success has Bo had?

The problem is that Florida and likely Michigan will be coach-shopping, and I don't know if we throw more money than they will at a big name to turn this thing around, especially if Pelini gets hallowed win #9.

The whole 'this is the new normal,' this is Nebraska's reality,' arguments really piss me off. We DON'T accept this, and we NEVER will. The 5 years we won a natty and all the years we were in the running for one, Nebraska's 'normal' was playing at an elite level, and that's what we aspire to, no matter what.

I think there is very little evidence that supports any decision SE could make short of moving in a new HC direction. Far too many long time Bo supporters have either jumped ship, or are leaning that way heavily. Even Sipple has pretty much conceded it's time to try something different. If Bo would show ANY evidence of doing something different, replacing assistants aside, he might be given one more shot. But it's crystal clear that this isn't going to happen. He just doesn't seem to have it in him to ditch the things he believes in at an attempt to see if something different will work.

At this point, it's just time to try something different. Like Count, it took me a LONG time to get this through my thick head....but I'm there. It's just time before it gets too stale (if it isn't already there).

If NU can figure out the NCAA issues, I have a strong belief that Tressel will be the next HC at NU and it will be next season. There is no better hire that has a chance of reality and if NU doesn't give it everything it has to make it happen, that would be a shame. I can't say I don't like Tressel...but that damn vest always bothered me. I'd probably learn to love it and I'll tell you this: My next door neighbors moved here several years ago from Columbus, OH. As much as they like Urban...they tell me that they, and every other fan they know REALLY miss Jim and would take him back over Urban in a heart beat.

Anyway, even if it doesn't end up being Tressel or any of the other names being tossed around....I think any change at this point is the right choice.

SE can have all the stances he wants, when he has some major boosters pissed off standing at his desk, he'll do what he's told. Until then whether he stays or goes is only speculation, my guess? He's gone..........

I think BRI is on target with this... the bit about "he'll do as he is told" couldn't be stated better. For a LONG time I really believed the fans had a say in these matters... I was dead wrong. It is big money at the controls. Love it or hate it, its a fact that a panel of money will determine Bo's future at NU. College sports are a business, Bo is bad for business at NU. I hate saying that because I truly believed until Saturday despite the warnings along the way: the A&M meltdown on Martinez, the hat assault on a ref, BoGate, and too many tirades on national TV to count... just to name a few. I'm officially on board with the Bo must go camp, sorry I ever doubted you guys.

SE can have all the stances he wants, when he has some major boosters pissed off standing at his desk, he'll do what he's told. Until then whether he stays or goes is only speculation, my guess? He's gone..........

I think BRI is on target with this... the bit about "he'll do as he is told" couldn't be stated better. For a LONG time I really believed the fans had a say in these matters... I was dead wrong. It is big money at the controls. Love it or hate it, its a fact that a panel of money will determine Bo's future at NU. College sports are a business, Bo is bad for business at NU. I hate saying that because I truly believed until Saturday despite the warnings along the way: the A&M meltdown on Martinez, the hat assault on a ref, BoGate, and too many tirades on national TV to count... just to name a few. I'm officially on board with the Bo must go camp, sorry I ever doubted you guys.

This is true! But the big money agenda is very much driven by the general outcry from the fans.......I think we (fans) share the same agenda with them (boosters). Maybe not exact, but we are close enough.

I don't think Eichorst will fire Bo until after the bowl game. Losing to Iowa and losing whatever crappy bowl we go to would just further cement him being fired.

No. You fire him after Iowa, hire someone ASAP to try and salvage the recruiting cycle. No one waits until January!

Michigan did after Rich Rod, and they got Hoke. Seems to be a bad idea to wait.

The Michigan/Hoke marriage was destined to happen.

What success has Bo had?

If he keeps him I think he will point to Bo having 9+ wins a season and the improvements made since the BC era.

Will point at the 3 conference title game appearances.

Probably going to make a mention of the academic record and discipline record of Husker players under Pelini.

I do want to stress that I do not believe these things, just stating what I think Eichorst may say.

I personally think that something needs to change and that the current status quo is not acceptable.